Gransnet forums

Chat

Upsetting and Scary experience this afternoon

(8 Posts)
Hopehope Sat 25-Mar-17 00:20:19

Hello All,
It seems that every time I post it is doom and gloom , sorry for that. Today should have been quite good. I had a Lady coming to fit some new covers on the suite, had the firm before and she is a lovely Lady so was looking forward to having a chat with her as well as giving the furniture a face lift.

we were halfway through when DH said he would feed the Dog, took him into the Kitchen as normal, after a few minutes I heard this dreadful noise from the Dog, I can only say screaming!I flew out and there is the dog with his head trapped under the kitchen chair and his back legs splayed out sideways. My poor baby!!

he is old, and his back legs are stiff( he has medication), apart from that he is well, and happy, and greedy. The gfreed came into play here, what had happened was his dish had slipped under the table, he followed, and sadly the mat slipped from under his feet.
I really thought that was the end. Felt all around the legs and hips and he was fine with that, with hindsight we think the dreadful noise was fear, not pain.

I grabbed towels and rugs and we slowly edged them under his feet, having managed to get the chair over his head and out of the way. We then got him to his feet( me thinking he would collapse again), we held him like that a few minutes and I massaged all around until he was calm. we managed to get him into the garden, and Thank heavens he walked about a bit, and had a pooh which I was pleased about, showing everything still working.He had wet himself when on the floor in the kitchen, but I think that was shock and fear.
he seems fine now, has been out in the garden again tonight, had his supper, and seems relaxed which is more than I can say about me!I am so upset, and can hear the noise he made ringing still in my ears.

The poor Lady doing the chairs just carried on with her job, but looked a bit upset too. Funny thing is when she came six weeks ago to measure up DH was sporting a bruised nose and a shiner of a black eye having had a hell of a fall. She must think we live in a danger zone smile
Needed to get that off my chest. Thank You

Jane10 Sat 25-Mar-17 06:29:27

How awful. What a frightening experience for you and of course the poor old doggy. Its amazing how such ghastly sounds are so instantly terrifying and also remain in the mind. Hope the poor old boy suffers no ill effects from his upset.

cornergran Sat 25-Mar-17 07:12:32

Horrid experience for everyone. It must have been very frightening. Hope your dog is OK this morning and no worse for his experience. The memory of his fear will fade, hope you can all have a calm and relaxed day today.

Alima Sat 25-Mar-17 07:40:51

Hope your dog has recovered from his fright, and you of course. Is he a tall dog? When our spaniel was older with arthritis in her legs we raised her feeding bowl so she did not have to stoop to eat, seemed to help. I expect the chair cover lady will just chalk it up to experience. Hopefully she doesn't have to call again as it looks like you will be next in the firing line!

Christinefrance Sat 25-Mar-17 07:55:21

Dogs can make such awful sounds when they are hurt or scared, makes your heart turn over. Do hope all is well now and with your husband of course. Alima is right, it may help to raise your dog's bowl. You can buy bowls on stands for larger dogs but would suit your purpose.
Hope you all have a peaceful weekend.

MawBroon Sat 25-Mar-17 09:20:56

I do hope you and the dog have recovered! With an arthritic 14 year old greyhound I can say "been there done that" and I know how terrifying it is. Those who know me in Soop's kitchen will know how we thought that "was it" last weekend!
You did all the right things with towels etc. I found that with my old girl, she sometimes sinks back on to her haunches and if I can get in front of her to help her to move forwards usually with her lead clipped on, the momentum helps. From behind, I have been know to push her haunches together and push forwards (again momentum) With a tiled floor I also have turtle mats everywhere in the kitchen as she can get no "purchase" on the ceramic tiles and does a good impression of Bambi on ice. The greyhound "scream of death" (where lesser dogs might perhaps yelp) doesn't help the heart rate (mine) either.
Raised food and water dishes on a stand are essential and I make sure she can't get under (or half under) tables etc.
If he is already on anti inflammatory meds an extra dose does no harm to help with the pain he would have felt - like us turning an ankle or pulling a muscle.
Poor doggy (treats called for) and poor you -probably a stiff drink in your case.

ElaineI Sat 25-Mar-17 13:12:53

How frightening for you. I hope he is better now. It is hard when pets get older. We were told recently that our cat has a touch of arthritis in her back legs. We have to watch for signs of limping then she may need an anti-inflammatory.

I hope you and your dog have a more restful afternoon x

callgirl1 Sat 25-Mar-17 17:05:06

Your poor dog, I`m so pleased that he`s alright. A few weeks ago, our cat, Mia, decided to run out just as I was closing the door, and I trapped her! She ran off with a squeal, but I couldn`t check her out, as she wouldn`t come anywhere near me the rest of the day. Luckily, she was fine, just got a scare.....like me!