Gransnet forums

Chat

'Red Nose' or slightly 'Red Face' Day?

(37 Posts)
Rosina Mon 27-Mar-17 11:03:09

Having sat through a few items on the Red Nose Day event on TV, I did find some of the content tasteless. I do wonder if I am prudish and stuck with a 1950's attitude but as this is supposed to be family entertainment, why was Susannah Reid asked a lot of grubby questions about bed sheets, threatened with a plastic penis, and sitting on a sofa with a pair of what appeared to be revoltingly soiled jeans. The 'Love Actually' sequel was well done but Russell Brand, and his greasy sidekick Jonathan Ross, seemed to be going for the 'behind the bike sheds at school' humour in their usual self indulgent manner. I am turning into Mary Whitehouse or did anyone else feel the same way?

Millymoo Wed 29-Mar-17 19:35:15

I tuned in by accident saw Lenny Henry shouting telling people to be quiet (think it was a Graham Norton bit) I thought it was very aggressive, made me squirm, so I turned it off.

Treebee Wed 29-Mar-17 19:22:08

I'm relieved to read these comments. I usually watch and enjoy Comic Relief. This year I found it puerile and amateurish. They still raised a lot of money which is good as long as it's spent efficiently and goes to the right place.
I prefer to use World Vision or other longstanding charities.

Willow500 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:47:33

Pleased I didn't watch it - I've only seen it once and that was enough. Piers Morgan obviously thought the same about the item with Susannah Reed as he mentioned it on GMB on Monday saying he thought it was just awful - she had no idea what was going to happen it seems. I don't like any of these comic money raising events and also prefer to give to charities in other ways.

Luckygirl Tue 28-Mar-17 17:57:59

The genuine dignity and courage of the people being helped, in Africa and here, contrasted with the shallow vulgarity of the unfunny comedians. Exactly Elrel

GillT57 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:16:22

I find these type of programmes patronising and self indulgent. Also, can't stand seeing the general public baying and hooting at the so called entertainment. That sneering attitude of mine applies to many programmes such as X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Red Nose Day, Children in Need etc etc. I donate to charities, and do appreciate that some people need to be bullied into encourage to donate, but I hate mass, yobbish ( the style of show, not the public), people standing in the street getting excited about a sleb type entertainment. And as for Mrs Brown, pitiful, unfunny crap tosh. Tell me I am not alone

sunseeker Tue 28-Mar-17 10:27:02

I understand Ed Sheeran has used his own money to house some abused boys he met rather than the money raised by the programme.

Elrel Tue 28-Mar-17 01:05:35

I thought it was awful. The genuine dignity and courage of the people being helped, in Africa and here, contrasted with the shallow vulgarity of the unfunny comedians. Ed Sheeran appeared to be a decent caring person.

rosesarered Mon 27-Mar-17 21:08:28

I never watch it ( never have) but it seems that this year was a particular nadir for the Red Nose Evening, according to just about everyone.
DGC do fund raising at school which they enjoy, and bought DGC some Red Nose Products from Sainsburys which they liked, particularly the round drinking cup.
Some of the celebs hqave always been full of their own importance, but having Rossy and Brand on made it almost sure it would be lousy.

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Mar-17 21:02:12

I turned it off when I realised that Jonathan Ross was presenting. I can't stand and him, and Russell Brand gets right up my nose! It gets worse every year. I think I'm pretty broad minded, but I though the Comic Relief programme was a load of rubbish.

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 18:49:40

Well, I didn't watch it and I meant to give the DGC some money to take into school but forgot blush
However - school now expects encourages them to go in on Comic Relief Day dressed up and to help raise money, which, of course, they love doing and it does give them an understanding that not every child is as fortunate as they are.

PamelaJ1 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:11:27

I think he did Ana, not so altruistic!
We tried Red Nose Day briefly twice.
Very briefly! I remember An interview with Frank Skinner when he said he was going to keep the use of swearing to an absolute minimum to make his act funnier. I think the red nose lot are just not very good at funny, just rude.
We don't donate either , we donate to charities of our choice.

Eloethan Mon 27-Mar-17 18:04:21

I didn't watch it at all this year. It's either very silly or very coarse. Not my sort of entertainment.

I don't think I'm a prude but so much comedy these days seems to be intent on shocking - I don't see why people find it funny. Billy Connolly could be very rude but at least, to my mind anyway, he was funny.

I quite enjoyed Fleabag when it wasn't being gross, but some of the humour was really beyond the pale.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Mar-17 17:45:25

I have never in the past watched this, but finished up watching about 10 minutes when my OH put it on to see Greg Davies. I then left the room. What utter nonsense; and how patronising some of it was - depicting people in difficult circumstances just as victims rather than the brave people that they so often are made my toes curl.

I have always felt uncomfortable about slebs hugging starving children.

Jennifer Saunders interviewing people with mental health problems was grim in the extreme - she finds it hard to remove the sneer from her voice.

The short bit that I watched was tasteless. It felt as though these slebs had thrown things together just to get their faces out there and gain the kudos of supporting charities. Getting a cheap laugh involved innuendo and foul language. No attempt at quality.

I will definitely not be watching at all next time. Let us hope the BBC is listening.

cornergran Mon 27-Mar-17 17:19:41

We didn't watch it, choice not accident. We prefer to support small charities with some traceability regarding outcome. This year our granddaughter set herself a very hard challenge to raise money, she achieved it so we feel we must support her efforts. Would have been hard not to.

kittylester Mon 27-Mar-17 16:53:09

There has been a lot of complaints on fb, I think. I thought it was pathetic apart from James corden with Take That and the lovely Ed Sheeran!

harrigran Mon 27-Mar-17 16:50:14

I have never watched this. Two names make my toes curl, Ross and Brand they should be not allowed to appear before the public.

PRINTMISS Mon 27-Mar-17 16:49:55

Another one here, we did not watch it, never have, always feel that these people are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get a laugh, and self-promoting at the same time. Of course it is sad to see the poverty in the world and the way some people live, but we should put our own house in order first, and help those in this country who are in need. I just wonder if we had a "Comic Relief" to help the ailing National Health Service would it receive so much attention?

Ana Mon 27-Mar-17 15:17:25

Didn't Terry Wogan get paid a ridiculous amount of money to present Children in Need...? hmm

Auntieflo Mon 27-Mar-17 15:14:51

Thought that perhaps we were the only grumps not watching Red Nose night, now I see we were not alone.

MawBroon Mon 27-Mar-17 15:09:28

Terry Wogan did Children in Need, not Comic Relief. That was Lenny Henry.

ginny Mon 27-Mar-17 15:09:21

I'm another who thought the programme was dire. Not sure where the comedy was !

Christinefrance Mon 27-Mar-17 15:06:22

No it was dreadful. Ross & Brand can be guaranteed to lower the tone of anything. Lenny Henry is so up himself and the whole show was badly organised. They did raise a fair amount of money but think its time to rethink the whole red nose thing. Bring back Wogan's self deprecating style, he was not in it to promote himself.
As for the new Mrs Brown show well words fail me.

GillT57 Mon 27-Mar-17 13:04:18

Thank you. I thought it was just me. I hate the self congratulatory look at me aspect of these programmes and hate to be hectored into spending money.

joannapiano Mon 27-Mar-17 12:32:00

I like the comedian Greg Davies,so I switched on to BBC2 at 10pm to watch him in a hot tub on the roof. Three minutes later I switched off-what a load of embarrassing rubbish.

ninathenana Mon 27-Mar-17 12:20:35

Regardless of any 'near the knuckle' content the whole thing was a complete load of tosh.
As for the much hyped 'Love Actually' sequal blink and you'd missed it.