Gransnet forums

Chat

Just to brighten your day - Painted Lady

(13 Posts)
NanTheWiser Tue 11-Apr-17 17:55:35

The recent spring weather has encouraged plenty of butterflies into our gardens over the last few weeks. All the usual suspects - Brimstone, Orange-tip, Peacock and Holly blue, but I was delighted to see an early Painted Lady ( Vanessa cardui ) while gardening this morning! These amazing insects migrate from North Africa every spring and are often seen from May onwards, so this fella is quite early - and stayed still long enough to get a few shots. He (I think it was male) hung around for quite a while enjoying the sunshine.

There was a fascinating documentary last year (BBC4 I believe) on the breeding habits and migration of this species which was very interesting.

durhamjen Tue 11-Apr-17 18:05:11

I've only seen a couple of small tortoiseshell so far this year.
I saw that programme about the Painted Lady. We seem to get them in September and October up here, never when the butterfly count is on.

whitewave Tue 11-Apr-17 18:18:27

Past few days we've been walking along the Adur and there have been quite a few painted ladies. Saw the first swift!!!! Welcome, welcome.

MrsJamJam Tue 11-Apr-17 18:33:33

Lucky you! I haven't seen a painted lady here in north Devon for quite a few years, but big excitement last year when we saw a Camberwell Beauty. First I had ever seen.

One swallow arrived yesterday - need another to make a summer!

durhamjen Tue 11-Apr-17 18:35:27

Just looked at last year's photos. The last Painted Lady last year was 30th September.
First butterfly was 15th May, an orange tip.
Mind, we had snow on 27th April last year, so anything born before then I feel sorry for.

Greyduster Tue 11-Apr-17 19:08:10

We were out on Sunday and saw orange tips in numbers, commas, red admirals and two brimstones. Red admirals are on the increase apparently. I have yet to see a painted lady this year.

Cherrytree59 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:22:37

Just back home from a lovely visit to NT Dudmaston Shropshire.
We also saw a swallow so if we add it to yours missjamjam..smile

The spring flowers and Blossom were in full glory
We saw many butterflies but they were all lovely orange tips

NfkDumpling Tue 11-Apr-17 19:23:57

Peacock, small tortoiseshell, large white and small blue so far, but no painted ladies in north Norfolk yet. Or swallows. DH put up a box for the swifts which we get here, but the sparrows have nicked it.

whitewave Tue 11-Apr-17 20:31:46

Isn't is glorious? I absolutely love from now until end of October really, everything is wonderful.

grannypiper Wed 12-Apr-17 07:35:18

Here in my little corner of Scotland yesterday i was delighted to see 2 swifts sat on a telegraph pole, i thought Spring is here, this morning i opened the blinds and couldn't see the garden for the rain sad but at least the howling wind of last night has gone. I am determined to be optimistic and believe that this storm was winter saying goodbye and that Spring really has sprung.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 14:42:34

86% increase in sightings of red admirals last year. Seeing some already this year is a good omen, greyduster. Apparently it's because they overwinter in Northern France, so were not hit by the bad weather.

butterfly-conservation.org/52/first-butterfly-sightings-2017.html
I am jealous of all these.

whitewave Wed 12-Apr-17 17:35:34

Today up the river one orange tip plus others ahead I couldn't identify.

Bluebells seem early this year, and nearly all the trees now have their leaves.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 18:02:20

Yes, you're right. Bluebells were just opening up last year on 20th up here. They were in full bloom mid-May.

Had an email from tne Forestry Commission about their bluebell woods today.
They have nestcams for ospreys in Kielder. The first egg was laid on 10th.