Gransnet forums

Chat

THAT wedding!

(170 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 21-May-17 08:30:46

Well, what did we think?
Pippa looked beautiful, but how thin is she?
Big sister Kate looked very elegant and competent shushing those little page boys and flower girls. Not stealing the bride's thunder either which was nice. But what WERE those little boys wearing? confused And was little George really giving a 2 fingered salute? Or picking his nose?
Carole looked lovely, clearly pink is the in colour this year, I could wish some of the other guests had got the memo! What a motley crew they were! Including Roger Federer in a lounge suit with a double breasted waistcoat looking as if he had left the rest of his morning dress in the hotel.
Whew, now that's over we can get back to Chelsea Flower Show.
I wonder if the Bucklebury glass "marquee" doubles as a greenhouse? Monty Don, eat your heart out!

Menopaws Fri 26-May-17 05:43:30

The so called second hand bit of stuff...American actress...does have a name, live and let live people

Aslemma Fri 26-May-17 00:42:34

Some people do make me laugh. If the dress had been from Debemhams and the reception had been held in a local restaurant people would have been saying "With their money you would have thought they could have done better than that".

Penstemmon Thu 25-May-17 22:51:05

Of course people who earn money through hard work are entitled to use it as they wish. I have no idea what Mr & Mrs M are like but the wedding did not strike me as a 'down to earth' sort of affair, more 'out of this world' grin

Jalima1108 Thu 25-May-17 10:07:13

Aslemma I thought I had posted something similar to that too, but can't find - it about the Middletons being just like anyone else but Carole starting a business from her kitchen table - would that we all had had such a good idea!!

I probably posted it on a politics thread by mistake grin

Aslemma Thu 25-May-17 01:48:47

People who have the money are perfectly entitled to have whatever type of wedding they like. It is those who can't afford it but still insist on a big showy wedding that I take exception to. I thought Pippa looked beautiful, as did most of the main party, and if she and her new husband can be as happy and down to earth as her parents their future looks bright.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 19:20:13

Now, first to get thin (well, a bit thinner)
Then off to buy a lottery ticket!

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-May-17 19:04:40

I realised that once I'd woken up, Jalima. grin I think Dolly's had just had the one long and happy marriage too, bless her (I'm a big fan).

Jalima1108 Tue 23-May-17 14:55:11

absent Oops!! blush grin
but they do seem to be following her advice .....

Maggiemaybe it was my last quote of the post which could thought inappropriate regarding a Royal and nearly Royals grin.

Anya Tue 23-May-17 10:59:23

...things to do...

Anya Tue 23-May-17 10:58:58

No, Pen I haven't. If you knew more you wouldn't say that. Let's not escalate this, as I was just stating a fact.

Those who don't understand, fair enough. Some of us have a long history and a long memory to go with it.

Anyway I've better this to do, as I've a VIP staying smile

As you were.........

Caro1954 Tue 23-May-17 10:38:22

Sorry, Anya, I don't understand. I'm just taking SAAK's comments at face value and don't find them helpful. If there is "history" why does it have to carry on into current threads?

Elegran Tue 23-May-17 10:34:47

It isn't the only wooden spoon around, Penstemmon.

Penstemmon Tue 23-May-17 10:33:23

Anya I think you have your wooden spoon out, which is not very kind. #Doasyouwouldbedoneby

Anya Tue 23-May-17 10:23:24

Caro 'as you sow so shall you reap' wink

Caro1954 Tue 23-May-17 09:11:00

Sorry Anya, I don't agree. SAAK's nastiness seemed to be a personal attack on andother person. Absolutely unnecessary and spoilt the whole thread which started out as a lighthearted "piss take/parody". Thanks for trying anyway Maw!

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-May-17 08:50:01

Wow !

I took this thread at face value - who doesn't love to critique a wedding and even better a celeb wedding?

I thought it would be light-hearted, fashion focussed fun.

How wrong could I be ?

I think one posters comments go far and beyond 'outspoken'. Unnecessarily so.

Anya Tue 23-May-17 07:57:28

Oh I don't know. At least SAAK is upfront with her nastiness rather than some who are totally false and underhand and craving sympathy.

Not saying I approve of either, so keep out of it (usually) these days.

annsixty Tue 23-May-17 07:53:57

Is SAAK a reincarnation of a previous GN member?
We have had some "outspoken" members but not so nasty.

Chewbacca Tue 23-May-17 07:48:54

kittylester, agree with you 100%. Although I hadn't contributed to this thread until now obviously , I'd read it and thought what a nice, light hearted change it made from the doom, gloom and sniping of the political threads. Such a shame that one person had to stagger on to it and spoil it.

Mapleleaf Tue 23-May-17 07:37:19

My goodness, but there has been a lot of vitriol, sniping and jealousy rearing their ugly heads in this thread. Yes, they are wealthy, so what? Yes, there were some guests who probably should have consulted a mirror before venturing out, but that's our opinion and not theirs. It is not just "posh" weddings where you see all kinds of attire, either, or children investigating their nostrils.
In answer to the original poster, I thought the bride looked lovely.

kittylester Tue 23-May-17 07:14:42

Whilst deploring the attack on Maw's innocent and light hearted post, I do worry about the poster who launches these attacks on such a regular basis. sad

Maw flowers

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-May-17 06:17:50

I was genuinely confused for a minute there, wondering how Dolly Parton had upset the royals.

absent Tue 23-May-17 02:38:21

Jalima1108 Maybe quoting a twice divorced woman whose third marriage disrupted the entire royal family for two generations could be considered inappropriate in this context. grin

Jalima1108 Mon 22-May-17 20:48:23

Having missed most of it except for a quick flick through the Sunday papers looking at the photos, I thought my comment (after seeing the enormous hothouse glass wedding venue) was going to to be that of Dolly Parton: "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap"! but I was wrong.
I thought Pippa's dress was lovely and elegant and in a style which would not attract comments about her derrière, her hair was up and not hanging around and many of the guests looked lovely. Not sure about the pageboys' knickerbockers though - they are going to feel very embarrassed when Aunty Pippa gets out her wedding photos one day to show their future spouses.

I don't think it was George 'picking his nose', it was another little brat boy.

Is Pippa too thin - can you be too rich or too thin?

Elegran Mon 22-May-17 19:56:06

After a wedding don't we all do that, say how lovely the bride was but criticise other people's dreadful choice of outfits?