Gransnet forums

Chat

C&A

(75 Posts)
nora55 Wed 24-May-17 09:41:53

I remember a while back there was a discussion about shops we miss. For me none more than C&A. Not sure why it popped into my mind this week - perhaps because I was reminiscing about where it used to be in our town and wishing it was still there.

My nan used to say it stood for "coats and 'ats" but my mother insisted it was "cheap and awful"

Anyone know what it really was?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:27:02

Cohen and Abramowitch, I think. I believe the firm was started by two Jewish refugees from Tsarist Russia somewhere around 1910. They probably decided that two obviously Jewish surnames, one of which sounded Russian as well might cause problems, or that C&A would be cheaper and easier on note-paper, not to mention on the phone.

C&A can still be found in quite a few German towns, as can Woolworths - the latter only a shadow of its former glory

Christinefrance Tue 30-May-17 10:03:25

Yes their ski clothing was excellent and much cheaper than sports shops.

trisher Tue 30-May-17 09:26:33

Remember buying a dress there when Bonny and Clyde came out. It was a navy pin stripe mini with a white collar. They were so quick to bring out current fashion. Saw a shop in Fuerteventura when I was on holiday this year, but it didn't seem the same (or maybe I'm just too old?)

Rowantree Tue 30-May-17 08:47:24

I remember C&A too! Why did they close down in the UK? Bought lots of things there over the years and miss them. sigh Everything changes....Woolies gone, BHS too (never liked them) - what else?

ajanela Fri 26-May-17 23:05:27

We have C&A in Portugal. I occasionally buy something there.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 22:43:46

I thought C&A was pretty bland, same as BHS.

gulligranny Fri 26-May-17 22:06:13

Loved C&A, miss it dreadfully. I still have a short-sleeved blouse I got there about 28 years ago - I wore it yesterday when it was so hot, it never creases, washes like a dream and looks as fresh now as it did when I bought it (I have taken out the shoulder pads though!)

annodomini Fri 26-May-17 20:56:02

I too miss C&A. About 20 years ago, in Paris, I really needed something cool to wear. C&A provided the solution in a pair of cropped cotton trousers. A couple of days in Paris wouldn't go amiss now!

elfies Fri 26-May-17 20:10:24

C&A always used to sell proper sized clothes with waists and fitted beautifully .
Their childrens clothes fitted well too.
I do miss them

Aslemma Fri 26-May-17 00:23:27

50 years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I bought a lovely green cape with a fur edged hood from C&A in Oxford Street. I liked it so much I wore it home, putting my other coat in the bag. I liked it even more when I got a wolf whistle from a man in the street, despite the baby bump, which it covered beautifully.?

mrsmopp Fri 26-May-17 00:11:34

I bought a maxi coat in C&A in the 70's. It had a hood and there was fur trim round the hood, down the front of the coat, round the hem and also round the cuffs. I felt like a million dollars in it, as it looked like something out of Doctor Zhivago!
Of course C&A was always perfect for everyday basics too. Sadly missed.

jayzee Thu 25-May-17 23:56:08

When I was 16 this was in the 1950s and I was given my first wage packet I went straight to C & A in my lunch hour and bought myself a lovely red cotton dress, I loved it and nearly lived in it. Used to buy most of my clothes there, later bought a skirt from there which had a very unusual design, sadly I don't know what happened to the red dress but still have the skirt which sadly doesn't fit any more.

storynanny Thu 25-May-17 23:06:51

I miss c and a
Yearly trip to nottingham branch to buy a winter coat and then in the 80's bought childrens clothes from the Portsmouth branch

MargaretX Thu 25-May-17 22:45:10

There is a C&A in Germany but it is not the same as 20 years ago. It seems to be full of black clothes and not so much better than other chains of clothing shops.

You've got to think outside the box. We have local couple who have over 60 large shops selling clothes in Germany and they have no on-line presence. I buy a lot of clothes there - yesterday a Gerry Weber silk top reduced to 50 Euros

The C&A here is only half as big and does only a slow trade compared to the local shop. I still have a few lovely classy clothes bought at C&A but I could never find anything comparable now.

Penstemmon Thu 25-May-17 22:40:39

A family friend was housekeeper to the Brenninkmeijer family in the 80's/90's when they had a home on Coombe Lane in New Malden,Surrey. Many of my school friends had Saturday jobs in the long lamented Kingston C&A.

notnormal Thu 25-May-17 21:51:59

I bought my first lot of ski clothes at C & A. Fantastic value! Donkeys years later, I still use the socks, which are really comfortable and no holes!

Sillynanny65 Thu 25-May-17 21:40:28

There is also a C & A in Torreviija in Spain. Whenever we are over there I make a bee-line for it. In my younger days I worked near Oxford street. As soon as pay day came along I went straight to C & A. It is still good value for money, especially for children's clothes.

dirgni Thu 25-May-17 19:36:59

Really miss Woolworth s, c& a and BHS!

Ginny42 Thu 25-May-17 19:18:14

Perhaps C&A could be persuaded to return and occupy some of the abandoned BHS stores.

NannyKasey Thu 25-May-17 18:46:34

Desdemona I also went to the Bristol C&A usually on my way to my Saturday job in Littlewoods (which was next door). Primark moved into the old C&A store before it was knocked down (along with Littlewoods) to make way for Cabot Circus

NotTooOld Thu 25-May-17 18:04:12

My sister and I were taken up to the Marble Arch C&A every year to buy winter coats for best. It was a big day out for us. One year my mother insisted I have a pale turquoise coat with a shawl collar, a waist with a wide belt, turn-ups on the sleeves and sewn in pleats all round the skirt. I absolutely hated it but I expect I ended up with it because I wouldn't choose anything else. I think I was an awkward little madam at that age. Perhaps I still am! grin

Wheniwasyourage Thu 25-May-17 18:02:59

When DD1 was a new baby in the late 70s it was very soon clear to us that she was not a pink person (she still isn't) but it was really hard to find a babygro which wasn't pink or white. We found a bright red one with red and white striped sleeves in C&A and it was perfect for her. Her teddy wore it for years and he looked good in it too.

Marianne1953 Thu 25-May-17 17:57:06

It's also alive & well in Prague. My brother got a lovely jacket from there.

chrissyh Thu 25-May-17 17:43:10

We were in Germany in 2015 and we went in a C & A there where DH bought a jacket. Can't remember which town as we were touring but, according to Wikipedia, there are 486 stores in Germany on 25th February 2016.

1974cookie Thu 25-May-17 17:39:56

Oh Memories, a wonderful shop.
In 1974, whilst on my Honeymoon in Devon, I bought a fabulous coat in a C&A there. It was faux suede, midi length with a hood, the front was decorated with embroidery, and had a faux fur trim down the front and around the hood. It was gorgeous and I felt so glamorous when I wore it. Happy Days ?.