Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things that cheer us - Part 2

(20 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 05-Jun-17 17:32:17

I started a thread about the pleasure I get from watching the birds using my bird bath. Loads of people have responded with descriptions of their own bird visitors. Now here is something different. I'm having my kitchen refitted in a few weeks time and the builder who's doing the work is extremely fit and good looking! ?

Lots of things give me pleasure and make me smile. That's just one of them. I descaled my shower head today and it's running so much better. It's raining cats and dogs but my water butt is full again.
What kind of simple things make your day?

lizzypopbottle Mon 05-Jun-17 17:49:11

This beautiful rose bush is in my neighbour's garden at the side but overhangs mine. The lilac bush is mine and has a white clematis that scrambles through it. The best view of it is from another neighbour's garden (at the back and south facing). I hope it gives her pleasure and lifts her day. She has recently lost her partner.

starbird Mon 05-Jun-17 17:57:04

My garden generally although it is not very big. I am waiting for the red hot pokers and thise things with big blue round heads on a long stem, to come out.
Butterflies and rainbows still thrill me. A shooting star but only saw one last year.

whitewave Mon 05-Jun-17 17:59:28

The roses have been absolutely wonderful this year and still more to come

lizzypopbottle Mon 05-Jun-17 22:26:10

I have a tendency to exclaim when I see something beautiful, like the moon or a rainbow. I get some funny looks and I think it's a bit sad (for them) that other people often think I'm crazy!

Greyduster Tue 06-Jun-17 09:22:39

Wild brown trout in clear streams. But more importantly, wild brown trout in water you wouldn't expect to see them. I have waited five years to discover whether all the rumours I had heard about our rather scruffy local river having these lovely fish are true, and I finally saw one! They are a precious resource; an indicator of the health of the rivers, and it filled me with joy!

KatyK Tue 06-Jun-17 10:29:13

I love sitting looking out of the patio window at our garden. We don't consider ourselves expert gardeners and just plod along doing our best but if I say so myself it looks lovely. I love sitting out there on a sunny day listening to the birds and ducks (we have a canal behind the fence at the bottom of the garden). We also hear the occasional boat chugging by. It's great considering we are in the suburbs of an inner city. I love this cheery thread smile

Kupari45 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:35:25

I am 6 days on from a Hip Replacement and this morning I had a shower ,washed my hair and put on some makeup. I'm exhausted after but it really has cheered me up and given lots of pleasure.
I do enjoy a cheery thread like this lizzypopbottle.
Brenda

farview Tue 06-Jun-17 16:53:23

..ooh when I watch our almost 1yr old grandson pull his 'monster' face...when our 5month old one nestles into my neck..the older ones saying "love you grandma"....also stars.rainbows.showers on a sunny day..sand between my toes..laughing with my friend..well...laughing period!! feeding all my family..strangers smiling at me when out walking....people pulling over to let an ambulance pass(warms me?). the plane landing each time I go to Oz to see my son and family....cry with happiness...LIFE...warts.boils.ups.downs...life makes me happy..✨ (also?yep!!).....

lizzypopbottle Tue 06-Jun-17 17:25:39

? Oh yes!

Greyduster Tue 06-Jun-17 18:30:12

Playing a very silly card game with GS and grandad after school today - lots of noise, LOTS of laughter!

farview Tue 06-Jun-17 20:18:21

lizzypopbottle.Greyduster...??

Bellanonna Tue 06-Jun-17 20:55:37

Hearing the cuckoo for the first time. A mixed pleasure really as some little family is about to lose its nest.

Auntieflo Thu 08-Jun-17 13:24:09

Going to the local garden centre this morning and seeing a notice amongst the plants, " Bird nesting, Please do not disturb"

LadyGracie Thu 08-Jun-17 14:12:32

Watching the birds bring their babies to feed in the garden

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Jun-17 15:28:58

Here's something that cheers me, even though he's systematically eaten all the pretty daisy heads off the plant I bought a couple of weeks ago! No ill effects, thankfully. He looks like butter wouldn't melt in his greedy chops!

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Jun-17 15:45:52

Had to refill my water butt using the hosepipe today. When I typed hosepipe my auto-correct substituted Josephine! Small things....

newnanny Thu 29-Jun-17 17:24:09

I love watching waves at the seaside. I have always loved them and on holiday I spend time each day almost walking along the front and watching the waves crash.

MamaCaz Thu 29-Jun-17 20:09:51

My young (6) grandson's expression when playing with friends after school.He is not always the easiest of children, but seeing that look of pure enjoyment and happiness on his face makes me happy too.

MargaretX Thu 29-Jun-17 21:54:26

I can understand flowers in a garden being a pleasure to look at but my daily lift comes from the huge trees in my neighbourhood. The land used to be a farm and the old farmhouse is till standing but round about there are so many mature trees and after living here for 35 years they are all taller than the houses.
I know this might be a problem in parts of the Uk as they do make a lot of shade but here in South Germany the sun can be extremely hot and shade is necessary to keep houses cool.
My first step in a morning is to open the bedroom curtains and look into the crown of the tree a couple of yards away and at the birds feeding.