Gransnet forums

Chat

Inciting suicide

(19 Posts)
mollie Wed 07-Jun-17 10:00:01

Not sure if the chat room is the right place for this but here goes...in the US there's a trial beginning of a young woman who actively encouraged her boyfriend to kill himself. The police have lots of texts and emails between the couple to prove the point. She was in her late teens, he just a year or two older when he died in his truck from carbon monoxide poisoning. It's suggested that when he tried to get out, having had a change of heart, she urged him back into the truck. The whole thing is too horrible to think about. The defence case, and supporters, say that in her state inciting suicide isn't a crime so she shouldn't be tried. Where is the justice in this? Where is the morality? How can this pretty, weeping woman justify what she did? Why shouldn't she be held to account for her actions?

Anniebach Wed 07-Jun-17 10:06:47

Depends on her mental state of health

M0nica Wed 07-Jun-17 11:12:23

mollie I have been reading about this case and absolutely agree with you. It seems she wanted the sympathy and publicity associated with being the grieving girlfriend. Her boyfriend had been depressed and made a couple of failed suicide attempts(usually cries for help at that age) so he was an easy target.

At 17 she was old enough to understand the serious nature of what she was doing, there is no suggestion that she had any mental problem that could impair her ability to appreciate the seriousness of her actions.

I suspect she is quite enjoying being the centre of attention, prettily weeping in the dock, whether she has taken on board that she if convicted she could spend sometime in prison, where the ability to look pretty will be of no avail, is not clear.

Luckygirl Wed 07-Jun-17 11:20:37

A local lass committed suicide along with her older boyfriend - she had no mental health problems, but he did. It has always been assumed that he encouraged her into this action. Very sad.

devongirl Wed 07-Jun-17 11:22:25

What's even worse is, according to the BBC report: "After his death, she fundraised for mental health awareness and led a charity softball event in his honour."

MissAdventure Wed 07-Jun-17 11:35:26

It sounds like she maybe had munchhausens by proxy. I'm not sure how it is classified in terms of a disorder, but sufferers enjoy the sympathy they get by being associated with illness, etc.

vampirequeen Wed 07-Jun-17 11:47:11

It depends if she has mental health issues too.

If it was simply a case of her wanting to be the bereaved girlfriend then as far as I'm concerned she killed him just as if she put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. As someone with suicidal tendencies I know how simple it would be to push me over the edge. If someone did that to me then they would be murdering me even if my death was at my own hand.

M0nica Wed 07-Jun-17 15:16:13

obviously one is commenting on only such information as I have read online.

I think more generally, that while it is tempting to want to find some medical or other justification for someone behaving in a way we find totally abhorrent and inexplicable. We do need to accept that sometimes people fully in their right mind choose to do abhorrent and inexplicable things.

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Jun-17 08:28:29

A pathological attention seeker comes to my mind. Munchausen's syndrome does seem to be a possibilty.

vampirequeen Thu 08-Jun-17 11:33:07

If it's Muchausen's then imo she is still responsible because she would know what she was doing.

Anya Thu 08-Jun-17 12:07:24

She needs locking up whatever her reasons. Hopefully if it's a mental health problem she can be contained somewhere her condition can be treated.

Trouble is, there's no litmus test to decide if someone is mentally ill or just attention seeking or evil.

sweetcakes Fri 09-Jun-17 10:01:05

MISS ADVENTURE that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the op!

Grampie Fri 09-Jun-17 11:08:16

Inciting violence is a crime even if the violence is self-harm.

minxie Fri 09-Jun-17 11:08:27

Someone always has an excuse for why they did such horrible things. Sometimes people are just evil pure and simple.

Lewlew Fri 09-Jun-17 12:54:47

Sadly there have been incidents of people about to jump and onlookers just shout for them to do it! (Knew of one case in my small New England town) Very very sad... but it happens. People can be very cruel. I wish the police could have arrested those who were chanting. angry

Luckylegs9 Fri 09-Jun-17 13:25:49

Whatever the fancy lable they put on her to excuse her heinous act, I hope she goes down for a long time, she can then have all the attention she requires. Poor young man.

W11girl Sat 10-Jun-17 21:46:02

She should not be allowed to get away with it. If she has a mental health problem, and claims diminished responsibility, she can be locked up for longer than if she pleads Murder in the 1st degree. So very cleverly supporters pushing for no recriminations at all! Only in America!!

devongirl Fri 16-Jun-17 16:34:07

BBC: "A Massachusetts judge has ruled that a woman whose texts encouraged her boyfriend to commit suicide is guilty of his death."

MissAdventure Sat 17-Jun-17 00:04:41

It'll be interesting to see if this woman will be jailed, and for how long. Not much consolation for those affected by her actions though.