Gransnet forums

Chat

Time Travel

(12 Posts)
NanKate Tue 20-Jun-17 19:10:45

I frequently get on or two second happy memories back from the 1950s/60s. I can remember how I felt, perhaps what I said or did. I find it so frustrating the these memory bubbles are so illusory and I can't cling onto them longer.

I would love to climb into a time machine and return to my childhood to replay my life then. I am sure I would notice the lack of variety in meals, the time my mother took to cook everything. In addition sitting in front of the Echo telly with just one station and no remote. The piles of washing up and no dishwasher.

I would make sure I went back in the school summer holidays, not the winter when we all sat round the open fire and how I dreaded going into a frozen bedroom but I soon warmed up under the eiderdown. Waking to ice on the window panes.

By the time travel becomes a reality I will be long gone.

If you too went back what differences would you notice from your life now ?

phoenix Tue 20-Jun-17 19:59:57

Oh heavens, that's difficult!

Nankate, you mention getting fleeting happy memories and remembering how you felt. I get those too, but not really about my childhood, more about my children, especially ds2.

Only today I found myself singing our own version of "Any Old Iron" which started with the line "any plump babies" and included the line "Oh I wouldn't give you tuppence for your second-hand rusk!" Which always produced chuckles! grin

Happy memories, oh to have that time again, or even more to have him still here.

Gagagran Tue 20-Jun-17 20:21:48

phoenix (((hug)))flowers

NanKate Tue 20-Jun-17 21:35:07

Phoenix I am so sorry if I brought back some poignant memories for you of your DS. I loved your rendition of Any old Iron, I bet he did too.

Since turning 70 and having a few health issues I have become far more reflective and regretful in some ways, especially as I realise life is moving on far too rapidly and I want to slow things down and experience once again many of my happy memories.

I am grateful though that I still have my DH and have hours of fun with my grandchildren, so I have a lot to be thankful for.

I need someone to boot me up the bum and tell me to sto being so wistful.

NanKate Tue 20-Jun-17 21:36:27

Stop not sto !

Jane10 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:07:38

I often mentally spend time back at my grandparents house. I loved being there with them. Sometimes the memories of specific times there or items or activities pop into my head and always make me smile.

rosesarered Tue 20-Jun-17 23:41:18

Same as you Jane as I was happiest in my Grandparents home.
Other than that, I remember many happy times with our own DC when they were young.I would like to relive my wedding day though, as with nerves, couldn't enjoy it properly at the time ( although I enjoyed the wedding night! wink)

NannyBadcrumble1 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:45:49

If I could go back in time, I'd go to my Grandmothers house. We spent so many happy hours there, putting the world to rights, giggling over passages in Terry Pratchett's novels, so many happy memories smile

phoenix Wed 21-Jun-17 00:44:12

NanKate stop right now with apologies! I think of him (literally) every day, and to have the good memories is always good.smile

NanKate Wed 21-Jun-17 07:09:11

Point taken Phoenix.

travelsafar Wed 21-Jun-17 08:10:30

How to wonderful it would be!!!

A chance to put right anything wrong that you did, any hurt you may have caused and a chance to see relatives long gone from this world.

I would love the chance to go back to when my children were small and to see my parents.

Christinefrance Wed 21-Jun-17 08:15:02

My student nursing days for me, we had lots of fun in the Nurses Home, it was freedom for me after a restrictive but loving childhood.