Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Charles's medals

(17 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 23-Jun-17 19:01:11

Watching our regional news/current affairs programme, we have just seen Prince Charles visit the Parachute Regiment at Merville Barracks to mark 40 years as Colonel-in-Chief, decked out in full regalia and sporting an impressive array of medals. DH disparagingly asked what he had done to earn the medals and I was at a loss to answer. Any suggestions?

Gagagran Fri 23-Jun-17 19:13:46

I always think that about Princess Anne who has never served in the armed forces yet wears a uniform and a chest full of medals on ceremonial occasions. At least Prince Charles served in the Royal Navy and even commanded a ship for a short time.

merlotgran Fri 23-Jun-17 19:38:53

Well, you can hardly be colonel in chief without a bit of ironmongery on your chest can you? grin

vampirequeen Fri 23-Jun-17 19:47:47

No one should be allowed to wear a medal they haven't earned.

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 19:55:32

Difficult Vampirequeen, I have heard of family members wearing medals awarded to dead relatives

NanaandGrampy Fri 23-Jun-17 20:06:55

Not all medals are awarded for gallantry, some are awarded for status, membership etc.

Some of them signify that he has been inducted by his mother and foreign sovereigns into various pseudo-knightly orders, such as the Order of the Bath. Note that the Order of the Bath, for instance, usually has had the Prince of Wales as the Grand Master.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 20:08:33

The royals are figureheads, that's all. The decorations they wear are decorations for figureheads. That's how I see it anyhow.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 20:09:05

n&g put it much better than I did!

Nanabilly Fri 23-Jun-17 20:13:56

I think I'm right in saying that you can wear a family members medals but on the other side of your chest. I seem to remember hearing it on tv at some ceremony , maybe poppy day parade.
personally I think that medals should only be awarded to people who have fought in battles and not just given to people who are for example royalty. It annoys me when you see them wearing them and they have done nothing to deserve them .

NanaandGrampy Fri 23-Jun-17 20:24:46

I see what you're saying Nanabilly but the problem is that for instance a battalion might be allocated a tour not everyone actually 'fights' . But as they are one 'unit' you could not give medals only to the fighting men , that would be divisive and the whole premise of the military is they act as one if you see what I mean ?

Eloethan Fri 23-Jun-17 20:26:41

It's just a complete nonsense, and an insult to people who really have done something worthy of receiving a medal.

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 20:31:31

Thank you for explaining NanaandGrampy

NanaandGrampy Fri 23-Jun-17 20:41:53

?

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 21:04:37

Ooooh, I tried on a VC won at Rorkes Drift, hanging my head in shame now, but it was fantastic , a mixture of so many emotions.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 21:17:58

Nanability yes you're right about the other side of the chest - they do it for example on Remembrance Sunday. And they are real medals awarded for real service, battles, tours of duty etc. The wearing of unearned medals is an insult to all those who earned them serving us.

Deedaa Fri 23-Jun-17 22:28:44

My father father had a couple of medals from the war. He travelled around alot with the RAF but never saw any action at all.

Rigby46 Fri 23-Jun-17 22:33:25

Service doesn't always mean action, but service is medal worthy as long as it was actually done