Gransnet forums

Chat

town or country

(19 Posts)
paddyann Sun 25-Jun-17 01:30:07

I was born in the city and lived there for the first 12 years of my life when we moved to a small country town.I like where I am but in all honesty when folk go on about the "beautiful scenery" I dont know what to say.Hills ,fields and lochs are all the same to me and I'd rather spend time looking at great ,beautiful buildings,mingling with people on crowded streets ,seeing brightly lit shops and museums and galleries .My husbands best friend often asks us to do "country" type stuff with him and his wife and he cant understand that I'm just not into climbing hills or sitting gazing at cows in a field or sitting on a bank fishing.Are you a townie or a country girl at heart?.

tanith Sun 25-Jun-17 07:17:23

I've lived in London my whole life so a townie I guess but that's not to say I don't also love holidaying in the countryside/coast. Wales has family ties for me and yes I love just sitting staring at mountains and sheep sheep just grazing, walking in quiet solitude and on the beach just listening to the sea rushing over pebbles and rocks.

kittylester Sun 25-Jun-17 07:19:35

I'm a town girl! I don't like the freneticism, if that's a word, of cities but I'm not really into 'country pursuits' either. We live in a largish, busy village near a small town that has a good university so is also bustling. Both those suit me.

NanaandGrampy Sun 25-Jun-17 08:11:18

Country girl definitely.

I've lived mostly in cities all my life and we are in the process( we hope) of moving to a small village of some 2000 people.

I worked in central London for most of my working life and I wont miss it one bit. I think its different if you visit London as a tourist to actually working there. The you notice the noise, the smell, sometimes the mess, the horrible transport, the crowds.

A beautiful view is food for the soul, the quiet is something I'm looking forward to most- a change of pace. Cant wait smile

Day6 Sun 25-Jun-17 08:34:28

Love, love, love quiet remote places and nature in all its glory. It restores the soul. However, I need it for a limited time only.

We stay in the middle of nowhere every year with our friends, and although I Iove the break away from it all, and feel renewed by the rural break, I'd be bored rigid if I had to live there permanently. I need shops, theatres, cinemas, libraries, people, transport. Getting into the car to drive to the nearest shop, miles away, for milk and papers would drive me doolally if I had to do it for longer than the fortnight we spend there. I love everything about our country bolt hole, but I can only take that much quiet and lack of people in short doses. I am a city girl at heart.

Anniebach Sun 25-Jun-17 09:02:22

Country, lived in a Welsh mining village and then small market towns, the mountains are no beautiful, the sea is healing , the rivers , streams, lakes, canal, I couldn't survive in a city, noise, smell, Traffic, not for me.

rosesarered Sun 25-Jun-17 09:11:22

Have lived in London and other cities, but prefer small towns.Have also lived in villages and hamlets.The best for me, is where we are at the moment, living in a large village with lots of groups to join, and near three small towns to visit regularly.

Charleygirl Sun 25-Jun-17 09:12:33

I was brought up in the country in Scotland about 3 miles away from the nearest town. There were 3 buses a day each way and the last stopped not long after the school run. I liked it as a child because I knew no better and could get around on my bike. I came to London in 1968 to work for a year and it was a long year, working in central London like N&G. I loved the theatres, large stores and the hustle and bustle. It was a lot easier to get around as there were fewer people. I have thought of returning to Scotland but I still love London. I prefer shops to hillsides and theatres to fields.

annodomini Sun 25-Jun-17 09:39:57

Born and brought up in a small town on the Firth of Clyde - best of two worlds - I could walk on the beach every day and in the other direction I could walk in the rolling green countryside with my uncle who taught me a lot about nature. Since then I've been around cities, small towns and big villages, Now I live in a small town which was a village until a few years ago when the local council got big ideas! I can (if I want to) get into Manchester or market towns easily by public transport....but I still miss the seaside. I guess I'm a kind of country girl who like my bread buttered on both sides!

M0nica Sun 25-Jun-17 09:47:58

Either, depending on the circumstances. My only proviso, when I live in a town I need to be able to see trees and live near a green space.

TriciaF Sun 25-Jun-17 10:00:25

We live in the country, nearest neighbours half a mile away.
I loved it at first, it's really beautiful and peaceful, but now often feel lonely. That's why I'm on here so much.
Also beginning to worry about the risks of needing urgent attention now we're getting old, so we're trying to sell the house. But seller's market is very slow here now.

Teetime Sun 25-Jun-17 10:05:26

Both for me. I love the city (brought up in London) but for a limited time -don't like crowds and hard pavements but love the theatres, concerts, art galleries shops that you only seem to get in a big city. I lived in Wensleydale for a while which is glorious but little in the way of facilities so we plumped for something in the middle - a typical English market town surrounded by countryside and with easy access to the South and the North.

DanniRae Sun 25-Jun-17 10:11:51

The country every time - as long as there is a shop that I can walk to for bread, milk and paper.
Mind you I have lived in South London for 47 years so the country is just a dream for me. One day maybe.......Oh! with the sea nearby too envy please.

ginny Sun 25-Jun-17 10:49:17

We live in a small market town. I feel we have the best of both worlds, plenty of countryside within walking distance but nearly all we need on the town. 20 minutes to 3 larger towns. 1 hour or so to London which I love to visit but just a day is long enough.

KatyK Sun 25-Jun-17 16:22:37

I love the town and the country. We live in a suburb of a big city and I love being close to theatres, shops if needed. However we can take a walk along the canal towpath at the back of our house and we feel that we are in the country. A 15 minute walk from here there is a large country park complete with lakes which is lovely.

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 20:45:12

Small village with excellent shop and good pub with food. Peaceful fields at one end of my road and bus stop to main town (4 miles) at other. Perfect.

devongirl Sun 25-Jun-17 20:52:26

I was in a beautiful area of the xountryside yesterday, but ended up in a village with one pub which opened only from 12-3 on Saturday and Sunday!

SueDonim Sun 25-Jun-17 22:11:13

I'm neither a town nor a country girl, or I'm both, depending on your point of view! I grew up in a small seaside town and have lived in several cites both in Britain and abroad and now live in a village.

I never get bored of the incredible views of river and mountain from my sitting room windows, no two days are the same. Likewise, in cities there is always something to see, though I could do without the traffic jams.

cornergran Sun 25-Jun-17 22:30:12

I lived in a very isolated country spot until I was five, then moved to a very busy area, after that a mix of country and town. I used to say I wanted to live in the middle of a field in a house with a moat and crocodiles in the moat so keen was I on peace, quiet and solitude. Now I'm pleased to have just a short walk to the bus, doctor and shop. I still want a quiet place, would love country but my desire for local amenities within walking distance precludes the isolated spot I once craved so a small but sadly growing coastal town for us.