Gransnet forums

Chat

Flipping woman

(82 Posts)
kittylester Thu 29-Jun-17 15:57:32

So, this morning I went to Sainsbury's with DH and DGD3 (aged 4!). We eventually got to the checkout, with a very full trolley, and joined a queue. The Supervisor opened another till and indicated that we should move over and start unpacking the trolley, which I did while DH 'entertained' DGD.

Before I had finished emptying my trolley a woman came and started unloading her small trolley onto the end of the belt. I didn't have enough room to get all my stuff on in front of the separating thingy but when I asked her to move some of her shopping out of the way she just said 'No, I've unpacked it now!' angry

I was stressed enough as it was, what with DH and DGD but that was the giddy limit! So I huffed a lot! blush

mumofmadboys Mon 03-Jul-17 08:01:44

I do most of my grocery shopping on line. Have done for two years. Wish I had done it years ago when the kids were young.It is brilliant. Much prefer it to going round the supermarket.

Legs55 Sun 02-Jul-17 22:59:52

I have problems with my hands so although I do my best I may be slow, I pack my own bags as I like to have them balanced, keeping items together for ease of unloading at home & ensuring that bags are not too heavy.

My purse is in my bag but large enough to locate easily, same can't be said for getting card out of it's pocket, why are they such a tight fit in new purses. The more you make me rush the harder it is for me to get card back into purse, put purse in bag & zip bag. I move away from checkout as soon as I can but this can be a struggle trying to push trolley, sorting car keys out & maneuvering handbaggrin

I try to shop when it is quieter, 8 on Friday morning was good. I use online shopping when I can, I've never had checkout operators trying to rush me. I don't want help packing my bags, my experience of that is not good, soft items put in bottom of bags & that's been women who should know better.hmm

Patience is a virtuegrin

codfather Sat 01-Jul-17 22:18:53

I was using the self-service checkout when some chap went and placed his bags on the end. When I challenged him, he answered "What? Do you want me to get someone?"

"No!" i said, "I want you to pick up your bags and go away! You are messing up the equipment!"

Finally, he got the hint!

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:04:04

I enjoy my one trip a week to Tesco/Waitrose/Lidl/Morrisons/Sainsburys/Coles/Woolworths/ wherever too!

Variety is the spice of life (see post above).

nannyH Sat 01-Jul-17 21:02:15

Oh yes Nannabilly! The bus queue who has to wait for the bus pass!! Been standing at the bus stop for ten minutes and the bus pass is in a deep pocket or the bottom of the shopping bag!! Happens every day!!

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:01:30

If every thread had to be about major problems, I think I would abandon GN and consider starting a whole new site purely dedicated to threads limited to "Serious Topics, preferably depressing"

Hear hear!! Variety is the spice of life!

Moocow Sat 01-Jul-17 19:21:17

I would have slowed right down.

Also some people get confused (or concerned about their purse being slipped from their arm) if they have too much in their hands all at once and need to do things timely and methodically, hence the need to get their money out when all is clearly packed and they can then concentrate on the next step, ie paying for their goods.

rosesarered Sat 01-Jul-17 19:10:18

Blimey! What a cheek kitty ......have never come across anyone who did that, perhaps she was, shall we say, a bit strange?
Work out a good withering remark in case it happens again, heehee.

kittylester Sat 01-Jul-17 19:05:28

That's it Elegran!

Elegran Sat 01-Jul-17 18:25:31

I read it that the next woman had put the separaor onto the belt before the poster had finished

yggdrasil Sat 01-Jul-17 18:00:48

If I read this right, the separator had been put on the belt before you had unpacked everything? I never put it there till I have everything on the belt. If I saw a separator on the belt, I would assume it was ok to unpack mine behind it. And I wouldn't want to put the shopping back in the trolley either.

sunseeker Sat 01-Jul-17 15:56:02

In a queue today, the husband (presumably) was packing as things were being scanned. The wife (presumably) stood there watching. Then when it came to pay the wife retrieved her handbag from the bottom of the trolley where it had been buried under all the shopping bags and then started digging in it trying to find her purse hmm

kittylester Sat 01-Jul-17 14:40:59

I started the thread and didn't say that I spend my life in the supermarket. I enjoy my one trip a week to Sainsbury's. As I said upthread, I was only passing a comment as, I think, were the other posters.

Nanny27 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:21:06

Lived on Germany for years and shopped in Aldi and Lidl regularly in the eighties and nineties. Packing shopping happens at the bench not at the checkout. Also at the bench all items that come in outer packaging are unpacked with cardboard etc placed in hoppers below the bench. As with most things in Germany it is fast and efficient. I still shop like this here. I'm sorry if I seem unsympathetic but it annoys the he'll out of me when people insist on packing shopping before paying.

goldengirl Sat 01-Jul-17 11:22:09

Phew Maggiemaybe I thought I was the only one on this thread who didn't spend her life in the supermarket. I HATE physically shopping for anything - unless it's a book. Thank goodness we can now do it online.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Jul-17 08:46:45

I can't remember the last time I did a "big shop" in an actual shop, and I won't be rushing back any time soon, after reading your stories. I've shopped online for years, and it's so easy, either home delivery or click and collect. And seeing as the stores I use keep sending me generous money off vouchers, it's cheaper too. smile

JackieBee1 Sat 01-Jul-17 07:57:27

In France: ...and the "snogging" (as our family calls it) which can be as many as 4 "pecks" (2 on each side)!
Going off topic, we've even been driving along the road when a car in front of us stopped for a "snog" shock

nellgwin Sat 01-Jul-17 07:46:30

Bluebell, they have many more check outs for shoppers, although you can bet Also has only one checkout open and my husband is one of those annoying people who won't be rushed, even more so at Aldi ?

kittylester Sat 01-Jul-17 06:49:23

serkeen, I didn't say I was worried about it. I passed a comment that seemed to resonate with a fair few people. I'm sorry if you have major worries - I think most of us do but find that a little banter eases the day.

phoenix Sat 01-Jul-17 01:35:17

Serkeen I'm sure that many people who have posted on this thread do have other things to "worry about today" but this thread is about supermarket shopping, the bad manners of some other shoppers, and some suggestions as to how to make the make it less of PITFA.

If every thread had to be about major problems, I think I would abandon GN and consider starting a whole new site purely dedicated to threads limited to "Serious Topics, preferably depressing"

Diddy1 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:44:32

Shopping on conveyor, and then purse out, card out, in our local ASDA they always ask if you want any help with packing, I dont usually, but when there is a long queue, and I have a lot of shopping, I accept the help offered, they are so quick and efficient, its a pleasure to see.I usually shop on my own, no problem.

Serkeen Fri 30-Jun-17 23:35:54

Your so lucky that that's all you had to worry about today smile

BlueBelle Fri 30-Jun-17 19:33:23

Blimey if we had that system here we d never move up the queue there'd be a whole row of pregnant, old, disabled and us tapping our feet at the end of an ever growing queue
I think you should put your things in your trolley and pack at your leisure in the packing area
My daughters got those four bags that rest on the trolley sides and the things go straight in fairly tidely

nellgwin Fri 30-Jun-17 17:39:18

We now have a new system in Portugal were shoppers who are elderly, handicapped in some way for example uses a walking stick, pregnant , have the right to go to front of queue and are sometimes offered help and so far are not harrised to hurry packings their shopping.
Only once did a rather large women push passed me at the start of my rather full trolley and start to unpack her shopping from her basket, (has something to do with throw back to towels on sunbeds) we're as I then threw items back into stacked baskets, she became very vocal and manager was called and she was made to go back into another queue, were I was congratulated by fellow shoppers.
Funny it's only since I retired that I have become more stroppy but if I don't stick up for myself who will?

JaneD3 Fri 30-Jun-17 17:16:18

My local Tesco has self scanning - what a great idea. Shop at my own speed, putting it into the correct bags and just having to pay. Relaxed shopping!