Gransnet forums

Chat

Hull City of Culture 2017

(95 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 17-Jul-17 08:02:38

If you haven't been yet or even thought about it might I suggest that you visit Hull this year. I've always been proud of my city but the changes and events this year have been amazing. The city has so much to offer. Why not pop over for the day or even two or three days? There is so much to see and do.

vampirequeen Wed 02-Aug-17 18:44:23

We went to the Bill Bailey Curiosities today at the Maritime Museum. Well worth going to. Very funny as well as quite a few 'ooh fancy that' moments.

vampirequeen Wed 02-Aug-17 18:42:10

Yes the turbine was only in Queen Victoria Square for a few months. Then it was replaced by the poppies and now there is a lovely pavement dancing fountain that children love playing in.

Siemens not only brought a lot of adult jobs but also brought apprenticeships for younger workers.

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 10:30:54

And it's brought a lot of jobs to the area, too.
I presume they have taken the turbine blade back now, have they, and put back the traffic lights?

vampirequeen Wed 02-Aug-17 10:17:14

The Siemens factory is amazing. It's built on the site of an old dock that was slowly rotting away.

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:32:15

An amazing photo. It's houses next to the Siemens blade factory.
I hope the people living there work for Siemens.

i.guim.co.uk/img/media/0bee61186ea58a2d7913ea454672f34086a5cc6f/0_159_5760_3456/master/5760.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=afa2bf318168b2cf6f8b149c99857b7b

vampirequeen Tue 01-Aug-17 10:48:28

They don't have the Barrier Festival anymore. I guess it's been amalgamated into one of the larger annual events like the Sesh. That's what they did the to the Sea Shanty Festival this year.

The toilets are somewhat disappointing these days. In the good old days the ladies who looked after them used to Brasso the copper pipes every day until they gleamed and decorated every shelf or high flat surface with potted plants. They got listed because they were among the first if not the first in the country to have ladies toilets as well as mens. Hopefully now they've been listed the council will find some money to renovate them but money is so tight in Hull atm that tbh toilets will be way down the list of spending priorities.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 22:20:39

Do they still have the Humber Barrier Festival?

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 22:08:12

My husband designed some of the housing on the Victoria Dock development, just the other side of The Deep.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 22:05:24

Yes, I know that one.
Used to go to a pub round the corner called Green Bricks. My brother in law preferred the beer there.

Lazigirl Mon 31-Jul-17 20:32:18

No. They were along the Marina beyond the Fruit Market, just around corner from a pub I think was called the Minerva.

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 20:19:26

Are those the toilets outside the art gallery, Lazigirl?
They've been there forever. They are older than me.
You don't need to go to them, though, with all the museums being free.

Don't know who he knew, Tricia.
I am talking about in the fifties and sixties. Didn't ask who he got his fruit and veg from!
Too late to ask now.

Lazigirl Mon 31-Jul-17 20:13:00

I went to Hull a week ago with 3 others from my art group. We stayed in nice visitor accommodation at the University and had a really great time. Absolutely loved the city, it's parks, galleries, museums, old quarter, marina, pubs, and Hull Truck Theatre, but the best thing we all agreed VQ was the lovely friendly Hull folk. Very good Larkin exhibition at Uni and enjoyed their art gallery. In fact I enjoyed Hull so much plan to go back again with DH next month. Only the newly listed loo failed to impress greatly!

vampirequeen Mon 31-Jul-17 19:48:30

So glad you had a good time, Oldgoat.

TriciaF Mon 31-Jul-17 19:41:12

So he would know the MacMurrays wink

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 18:06:38

Pleased about that, oldgoat.
I haven't seen the fruit market since it was a fruit market!
After my dad had finished work on Christmas Eve, he used to go down there and buy boxes of apples and oranges, if there were any left.
He knew a lot of the men there from when he was a fruiterer.

oldgoat Mon 31-Jul-17 17:48:28

We had a great day out in Hull with the two GSs and the dog. The city has changed so much since OH lived there. No fish docks but instead lovely gardens and paved areas with outdoor cafés. The boys enjoyed the marina and OH went in several art galleries in the old Fruit Market. We all had a ride on the land train - chance to rest our feet, but my favourite was the Ferens Art Gallery. I would urge anyone thinking of visiting Hull this summer to go soon. The Muerck sculptures will only be there for two more weeks and they are amazing. The gallery is hosting the Turner Prize art works this September - another feather in Hull's cap!

vampirequeen Fri 28-Jul-17 08:30:58

It's incredible.

durhamjen Thu 27-Jul-17 23:28:48

They had the weeping poppies up at Woodhorn Colliery in Northumberland, pouring down from a pit head, a couple of years ago. It does look amazing, doesn't it?

vampirequeen Thu 27-Jul-17 23:08:26

I haven't seen pie and peas but you can still get a lovely patty at most chippies.

Have a lovely time.

oldgoat Thu 27-Jul-17 22:51:56

We are off to Hull tomorrow with the GCs. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions vampirequeen . OH used to live in Hull when he was a lad. Doesn't think he'll recognise the place now. Do they still sell meat pie in a bowl, covered with mushy peas ?

vampirequeen Wed 19-Jul-17 13:08:24

The works are all finished now and the city centre looks amazing. They had to do an awful lot of work in a relatively short period of time and unfortunately didn't finish on time but it's been worth the upheaval.

The Weeping Poppies was amazing as is the Sea of Hull.

This website might be helpful www.hull2017.co.uk/whatson/

Nandalot Wed 19-Jul-17 10:43:07

Thank you so much for starting this thread, VQ. We went to Hull at the beginning of May to see Al Stewart at City Hall. Great concert but we were a bit disappointed with the surroundings, lots of closed up shops and unfinished projects, like a big concert venue and the mini amphitheatre and even some street decking not finished. We felt if it had been in the south the money would have been found to finish these in time for the start of the year of culture. The window of weeping poppies was very effective.
However, thanks to your suggestions, we are definitely going back with the DGCs this summer hols. to see some of the sights you mentioned. Really looking forward to it,

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:18:23

Well, we are going to have to go back!!

Such a long way though.

trisher Wed 19-Jul-17 10:15:52

Oh you must have fish and chips in Hull! Carvers is a family business now on 4th or 5th generation (mum would know). They used to have a market stall as well. On a Saturday you went round the market and then bought bag of chips at Carvers.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:09:22

It was a couple of months ago trisher.
We wished we had gone for fish and chips!
Breakfast was OK though.