Gransnet forums

Chat

bucket list nerves

(19 Posts)
lovingit Thu 20-Jul-17 23:26:03

As a child I was so envious reading of children who took their ponies to camp but my parents couldn't afford a pony so it was weekly riding lessons and pony books.
I was in my late 50's before I could afford my own horse and it does make you feel 12 again which is probably why I jumped at the chance of taking my horse away for the weekend when it was talked about last year even though my grumpy lad is not the easiest of horses.
Oh .how quickly the time has passed and I am so nervous because I,m so unfit for riding and it's Tomorrow!!
I had such great plans to get riding fit but 3 weeks holiday has not helped and at 66 my muscles need regular exercise or they hurt.The others are all regular riders and at least 20 years younger.They are packing wine and I;m packing painkillers and praying not to break anything.
I'm scared and excited and wondering if I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew.
Wish me well.

phoenix Thu 20-Jul-17 23:41:08

Go, , do what you feel comfortable doing, but above all, enjoy!

I had to give up having my own nag some years ago, now can't afford one and wonder if I'm even physically capable of riding, the joints are playing up a bit and I'm not even 60 (yet)

merlotgran Thu 20-Jul-17 23:52:59

Go and enjoy yourself! I had to give up riding in my fifties thanks to arthritic knees and really missed it.

You might find the wine is more helpful than the painkillers grin

vampirequeen Fri 21-Jul-17 07:39:43

You'll have a sore bum and achey knees for a while. Within three weeks your body will have adapted. Take the painkillers and chill with the wine. Those added to exhaustion from riding all day will make sleep possible in the early days grin.

Auntieflo Fri 21-Jul-17 08:21:27

Do go and enjoy yourself, albeit gingerly at first. You know what they say about regretting the things you don't do !!

Alima Fri 21-Jul-17 08:50:13

Have a great time. Love the description of what you are taking with you. Must be the alliteration, always raises a smile!

shysal Fri 21-Jul-17 09:37:45

Enjoy it, but don't try to keep up with the youngsters. That applies to the wine and the riding!

nanaK54 Fri 21-Jul-17 10:03:24

Oh hope you have a wonderful time!

whitewave Fri 21-Jul-17 10:05:15

Oh how lovely!!! Enjoy every single second.

Greyduster Fri 21-Jul-17 10:58:46

I have only been on a horse once; it was a terrifying experience for me, and, I am sure, for the horse and at least one of us never did it again! But I envy anyone who can ride. We have a lot of stables round here and I love to see people out riding. Youngsters especially, they are so poised! (But why are they always girls? Don't see many boys!). Go for it, take it at your pace, and have a wonderful time! Let us know how you get on.

TriciaF Fri 21-Jul-17 12:06:39

It sounds like an exciting holiday, Lovingit. where are you all going?
My horseriding experience is limited to my early teens. We lived near the beach and I used to help the girl who owned the beach ponies to exercise them. They weren't all little plump ponies, some were capable of galloping fast along the mile-long+ stretch of hard sand. Then around the dunes.
It was great fun. My favourite was grey and white Winston.
So enjoy the freedom.

Elrel Fri 21-Jul-17 12:09:48

Take it easy and enjoy your weekend!

goldengirl Fri 21-Jul-17 12:45:40

The Queen does it, so go and enjoy! I've never been on a horse - they seem very high up - but I do dream about riding one along a beach in the surf

Iam64 Fri 21-Jul-17 13:07:34

I had to stop in my mid 50's bleep RA and swollen knees but, I'm so glad I rode for as long as I could. I taught myself, like lovingit, we lived on the coast when I was in my early teens, so I could 'help' with the beach ponies.
I had lessons in my 30's - what a difference that made.
Have a great time

jenn Mon 24-Jul-17 11:55:43

It was wonderful!!
Great place in Cumbria with miles of off road riding,great food and a hot tub.I took it easy on Friday,no cantering just trotted and walked for 2 hours through the forest but on Saturday we went for it!! My lad was amazing and we've had a glorious time,3 hour rides with lots of fast riding and I don't ache much at all.Sunday was 3 hours with swimming in the river,great fun. Planning on going for 3 nights next year.
Thanks for the encouragement

merlotgran Mon 24-Jul-17 11:58:52

Wow! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Lucky, lucky you.

Elrel Mon 24-Jul-17 19:44:16

Jen - so pleased for you!

Deedaa Mon 24-Jul-17 20:03:20

Now that's what I call really living the dream! What a lovely break and I'm glad your boy enjoyed it too

Greyduster Mon 24-Jul-17 20:26:08

Excellent! Well done!