Gransnet forums

Chat

Another scam alert!

(7 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 08:51:39

I know it's a pain in the fundament but you should really read all the Terms and Conditions of anyone you buy from, sign up with, or indeed write posts for in forums for older people!

They are there to show you what they can and cannot do and by accepting them, which mostly you are required to do before advancing, you give permission.

And I say this as someone who did NOT read the T&C on GN and was amazed they could share what I wrote, but to be quite frank, I would probably have signed up anyway and hang the world-wide notoriety in store for me.
grin

Holysmoke Thu 18-Apr-19 18:42:10

Thanks for sharing.
It is really very important to raise voice against such scammers.

glammygranny Wed 26-Jul-17 14:33:15

There's another scam in our area at the minute. You get home to discover a red card from (you presume) Royal Mail saying they are holding something on your behalf and they give a number you should call to re-arrange delivery. The number is a premium rate one so you are left with a hefty phone bill and there is of course no parcel.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 26-Jul-17 14:21:19

That's a good point Ana. I've noticed that you have to watch whether you're ticking "want" or "don't want". Am I just paranoid, or are there a lot of people out to get us? hmm

Ana Wed 26-Jul-17 14:07:11

You have to be careful when ordering from these places not to tick, or to untick, the box saying you agree to your details being shared.

On a lot of them now you have to tick the box if you don't want your details passed on, and people don't notice.

Anya Wed 26-Jul-17 14:02:24

Soon to be renamed DeceiveyLife?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 26-Jul-17 13:39:28

A friend (yes, really, it wasn't me but she isn't on GN!) ordered from an Easylife catalogue (with no problems) but soon afterwards received a phone call from Safe2motor. The caller said that he had her number from Easylife but did not have her bank details and offered her a petrol voucher which she foolishly (her word) accepted. On checking her bank account she found that 1.99 had been taken from her account and the bank said that she had taken out a subscription from Safe2motor. They cancelled her debit card but could not refund the money because she appeared to have agreed to the subscription as well as the petrol voucher (which did arrive). She then got a call from a lottery company who were also linked to Easylife!

She has complained to Easylife about their passing on her bank details, and to Safe2motor and cancelled her "subscription", and has taken it up with Trading Standards, who are investigating. However, she is very concerned that Easylife is a catalogue aimed at, shall we say, those of mature years, and that anyone who doesn't check their bank account regularly may find that they have been conned out of money. Your bank details may be being passed around more than you think...

She, and I too, would advise against getting involved with Easylife.