Gransnet forums

Chat

Funeral Flowers

(19 Posts)
Pantglas1 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:17:26

When my step sister died at a young age leaving three teenage children I told my stepmother that I would be giving the £30 I’d have spent on flowers to the children, via her. She agreed that it would have more benefit.

CreamandBrownsFlorist Wed 26-Jun-19 10:05:59

Hi i've just read this blog, and i speak for most of the florists out there that we don't inflate the prices or use half dead flowers in fact its quite the opposite. I personally make sure that everything that leaves our florist in Middlesbrough is perfect, using only the finest flowers (Especially funeral flowers and tributes). We get orders from around the world and we know how important it is for thier loved ones to get the very best. Its normally the funeral directors who inflate the prices not the florists as they add there cut on top of the price of the funeral flowers. We have won numerous awards for our funeral flowers along with UK Funeral Florist of The Year. You can see our website www.creamandbrowns.com/ if you want any advise on funeral flowers please don't hesitate to ask.

Greyduster Wed 19-Sep-18 09:24:05

When we were recently unable to attend the funeral of one of DH’s relatives I asked the funeral director if there was facility for a charitable donation but it was flowers only, so I had to ask him to recommend a florist. I have no idea what the flowers looked like but they were expensive. We felt that the money could have been put to better use.

t10k Tue 18-Sep-18 15:46:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Witzend Tue 08-Aug-17 19:47:32

My father always said he'd come back and haunt anyone who wasted money on flowers for his funeral! My mother put a small posy on the coffin, because she wanted him to! Alas it didn't work...

harrigran Tue 08-Aug-17 14:19:27

Most of the funerals I go to are family flowers only and donations to charity.
Flowers seem to be expensive whatever the occasion, a modest bouquet for a friend was £50+

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Aug-17 10:33:15

We always make a donation to the chosen charity unless it was a close family member.
The funeral director has a collection box so we usually write a cheque with a card saying 'in memory of ****' or send a cheque if we're unable to attend.

ElaineI Tue 08-Aug-17 00:43:19

Usually donate to a charity at the funeral. Never sent flowers.

Deedaa Mon 07-Aug-17 20:44:16

The only flowers we had at MiL's funeral were a sheaf of lilies on the coffin. I think it cost about £70 but it was very beautiful and she would have liked it.

M0nica Mon 07-Aug-17 19:59:48

Most families say 'Family flowers only', meaning partner and children and no further and then ask for donations to charity. I have only ever bought flowers for both parents, my sister and a childless aunt and uncle where I filled the role of daughter. Otherwise it is a cheque to a charity. Over the years I have probably donated a £1,000 more in funerary charity donations.

paddyann Mon 07-Aug-17 19:51:26

we tend to not send flowers in my part of the world,usually there are donations taken at the funeral for a cause close to the deceaseds heart.Our friend died of a stroke in February,they had donations and a just giving page for Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland ,the page was kept open for a week after the funeral and it raised nearly £7000.Much better than flowers that will die in days

J52 Mon 07-Aug-17 18:19:33

I think it's only bouquets, rearranged, that are given away.

PamelaJ1 Mon 07-Aug-17 18:09:36

Monica, I was visiting a friend in a care home recently and noticed some flowers that looked like they had come via a funeral. I'd never thought of the flowers as perhaps upsetting some of the residents. Food for thought.

Nanabilly Mon 07-Aug-17 17:44:27

It's disgusting isn't it. Rip off Britain at its finest. I can see why some request no flowers.

M0nica Mon 07-Aug-17 15:35:36

I have only ever bought flowers for the funerals of close family members. We always order flowers we can take home with us.

If I was in care home I do not think I would want to live in the constant presence of funeral flowers.

J52 Mon 07-Aug-17 15:23:31

If I am sending flowers and not donating to a named charity, I send from interflora's general offering. They used to do a lovely trug display in yellows and whites. It was acceptable for both male and female.
Some families request that flowers, which are not wreaths, are taken to care homes to be enjoyed.

Tizliz Mon 07-Aug-17 14:24:57

I got my daughter to send a photo of her flowers but I can hardly ask my dil to take a photo at the funeral. She did recommend the florist so just keeping my fingers crossed.

Eglantine19 Mon 07-Aug-17 14:18:09

I used to deliver for a florist. Yes they hike the price, they know not many people will question it. Also if you are ordering but not going to the funeral the flowers may be on the sparse or wilted side! I was sometimes embarrassed by the wreaths and sprays that I had to deliver.

Tizliz Mon 07-Aug-17 14:06:53

Long time since I have sent flowers to the funeral of someone I don't know particularly well - my dil's father, I have only meet him three time - and was a bit surprised at the cost. I didn't want to be mean as we want to support our dil, but the prices started at £35 for a fairly small bouquet. This is in Manchester. I sent our DD a plant box last week to celebrate her achieving her Master's degree and that cost £30 and it was a nice plant box full of flowers. Do florists hike up the price of funeral flowers, because they know we probably will not complain?