Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do I never learn?

(86 Posts)
kittylester Tue 08-Aug-17 11:45:13

Again, at the weekend, I succumbed (succame?) to the lure of ready prepared food and, as usual, we were disappointed and, actually, it hardly saved any time and, certainly, no money. These are not ready meals so still need the 'sides' doing.

This time it was ready prepared pork ribs in a marinade/sauce which were nice enough but not special enough to make it worthwhile. I do it on the basis that it will be easy (and a break for me) but I'm beginning to think that getting a takeaway curry delivered will be easier and not something I could do with ease, or want to do, on a Saturday night especially with Strictly on the horizon.

And, because DH was with me, we have 2 more ready prepared 'things' sitting in the freezer looking at me accusingly!!

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 10:27:48

Sainsbury is a long way away unfortunately.

I think the best way to make lasagne (sez she who hasn't made it for ages) is to use home frozen batch cooked bolognaise sauce with ready made cheese sauce and no-need-to pre-cook lasagne sheets - must look out for that
cheese sauce if/when we get to Sainsbury's.

Otherwise the kitchen can look like a demolition site.

kittylester Sat 12-Aug-17 08:26:40

Don't think the pasta will have gone off Jalima. The problem i find with all gf pasta is that it doesn't freeze well.

Sainsbury's 4 cheese sauce is brilliant to buy when it's on offer and freeze. I can get all the components for a lasagne out in the morning and assemble in the evening. I add mustard, nutmeg and black pepper to the cheese sauce.

I use the cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese too.

Welshwife Sat 12-Aug-17 08:19:09

I have done things like rumfopf jars and agree the fruit is wonderful on ice cream about Christmas time and the liqueur is nice but we drink so little of anything except wine. This week I wanted to give a French friend a bottle of sloe gin - had a jar of last year's still waiting to be bottled - but when I did it the colour and flavour was nothing against the one I discovered I had in the cupboard which is about 4-5 years old.- that one really took your breath away so I gave him the old one as I know he will love it.

Welshwife Sat 12-Aug-17 08:14:16

I always make my own lasagne - normally I try and make the bolognaise sauce the day before and leave it to marinate overnight. This then gives time to clear the bomb site kitchen before just making the cheese sauce the following day and layering up. I use two types of meat in the sauce - beef and pork - and some small bacon lardons - here called allumettes. I use a strong cheese for the sauce - here they are the stringy type but in UK I use strong cheddar.
When making curry I do that the day before too as it tastes better after resting.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 23:31:07

I haven't had lasagne for months, probably over a year, but I quite fancy making one tomorrow.

Probably the packet of gf lasagne has gone out of date by now (never opened).

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 17:08:07

That's why I make it myself Jalima.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 15:32:00

blush
ooh, am I alone (I don't eat it now anyway)
Unless I make a GF version.

Tizliz Fri 11-Aug-17 14:42:53

We had lasagne for dinner last night (home made) and again for lunch today - always make too much.

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 14:06:29

I always make my own lasagne!

Teddy123 Fri 11-Aug-17 14:04:10

Lasagne! Went over to my see my lovely 'best friend' yesterday. Her darling daughter had made us an enormous lasagne from scratch. It was superb.

I'm no cook & have tried all the ready made varieties. Nothing compares to home made so will continue with bomb site kitchen and fuss and bother and always make my own.

rosesarered Thu 10-Aug-17 08:41:18

We live too far away for takeaways, so having a few M&S or Sainsbury/Waitrose meals in the freezer/fridge is a must for busy days.
The feeling of guilt for using them is misguided ( I know some women feel this way.)
I cook fom scratch often but not when tired out.
Lasagne is the only meal that I cook myself as don't like the ready versions.

Chewbacca Thu 10-Aug-17 08:33:36

I make my own lasagne from scratch, but it really is a faff. I'm getting to the stage where I think that M&S or Waitrose would be just as good and my time could be better used elsewhere like messing about on Gransnet for example .

Teddy123 Thu 10-Aug-17 07:24:19

jalima who makes Lasagne?
I do. Why? Two reasons. Firstly, I secretly enjoy my kitchen resembling a bomb site. Secondly, my son & family are coming for the weekend, arriving after a drive down on a Friday evening after work and I enjoy pleasing him. Yes, before you say it, he probably prefers the M&S variety!

Jalima1108 Thu 10-Aug-17 00:17:00

I wish I had not sent my rum topf to the charity shop!

paddyann Thu 10-Aug-17 00:12:24

Welshwife try layering your fruit in the jars with sugar ,I use half the amount of sugar to fruit and cover the whole lot in booze,vodka works well if you want the fruit to be the main flavour,but brandy or rum can be fantastic.Peaches in brandy is a favourite here and cherries in brandy works well too.You can layer different fruits and then vodka is a better bet ,in my opinion,as the fruit juices combine to make a great liquer

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 23:25:29

A van drove up our road yesterday and DH and I stared at in astonishment at it because it had a very large domino on top.

We must be naive because it was some time before I realised there is a pizza place called Dominos - presumably someone having a takeaway.

Shizam Wed 09-Aug-17 23:10:04

Want ready meals to taste nice, but they don't! Waitrose, M&S, cheaper options. All salt and no flavour and just a bit pants. So have resort to cooking, sigh. Takeaways no better. Dominos is disgusting.

NannyBadcrumble1 Wed 09-Aug-17 21:24:59

Given the fact that my mother was/is the most dire cook ever, I learnt to cook from a very young age. I cook from scratch all the time, dolmio is a swear word in my house. I don't go for ready meals, they're revolting, so my idea of a treat is getting a curry from our local takeaway. Their food is absolutely amazing.....bugger, I could quite fancy a curry now! X

Legs55 Wed 09-Aug-17 21:04:37

Cooking for one has taken a little getting used to although it does give me the opportunity to eat exactly what I fancy. I do make chilli, bolognese sauce, stock & my own soups, Only drawback at the moment is that I only have a fridge/freezer so a lack of room to freeze more home cooked meals. I use a lot of fresh veg & keep a selection of meat in the freezer.

I buy 2 chickens in foil trays & cook in bags all ready to put in the oven from Co-op (2 for £7) one to cook & one for the freezer. Once cooked I have a couple of meals off the chicken then I strip & freeze the rest & make stock from the carcase (for soups).

I do occasionally buy M&S Ready Meals or Dine in for £10 but not often, preferring to cook from scratch.

Cheese that's going slightly mouldy is trimmed, grated & frozen. Veg that is just past it's best is stir-fried. Very litle is wasted in my housegrin

Kim19 Wed 09-Aug-17 20:51:32

Think I could be accused of exaggerating if I used the words cook or meal to my credit. Fact is I snack regularly and only have a meal when eating out. I've been told little and often is god practice. Yesterday...... 2 sticks of rhubarb from the garden one tiny pot of ambrosia custard. Into the microwave for 3 minutes. Delicious! Cost 20p and that's my idea of cooking! Other delicacies include fried egg sandwich, hot pie, bacon roll. All considered totally unhealthy by some but it seems to work wonderfully for me. I shouldn't belittle myself too much in that in the winter I have a regular pot of homemade soup - no stock cubes either! - on the go. Yummy.

W11girl Wed 09-Aug-17 18:00:01

I never eat processed ready meals. 1. I don't know the full ingredients and 2. its quite expensive. I purchased £3 worth of Rubharb today and have made 20 little pots to go in the freezer which will give me 40 servings for my breakfast, deserts etc. I always buy meats to make at least 6 servings of each which I also put in the freezer. With left over eggs, cheese etc I make little quiches. Very rarely do I cook from scratch and I have quite a stock of all sorts of food. Happy days!

HurdyGurdy Wed 09-Aug-17 17:58:41

I fall into the same trap with McDonalds. It always smells so inviting, and I get caught up, and invariably disappointed, vowing never to eat it again.

I only go once in a blue moon, and I have NEVER been pleasantly surprised by what I am given to eat.

I never learn!

tubbygran Wed 09-Aug-17 17:47:31

Jane10 I completely agree with everything you've said!

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:15:45

Beef bourguignon

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:14:45

and they DO NOT have an apostrophe!!
Where did that appear from?