Gransnet forums

Chat

What do u not dare to do?

(50 Posts)
Morgana Sat 12-Aug-17 00:37:36

Is there something you'd love to do but daren't? D.S. works in clubs as D.j. and I would love to go see him perform. But ....!

GrannyLondon Mon 14-Aug-17 16:33:39

If it's ok with your son, go to the club & hear him. I went to hear my son & there were other, older people there too. The younger people were really lovely when I explained (or shouted) that I'd come to hear him.

All you nervous drivers, find a good driving school & take some lessons, just explain your situation. I'm sure they will be sympathetic.

I find people are really kind to me now I'm older.

Tegan2 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:00:32

I'm afraid I talk to everybody; last conversation was with a lovely Irish chap on a train going to Birmingham where we discussed our betting habits! And a lovely blind guy who I got talking to on a bus in Nottingham who told me of all the racecourses he had visited throughout his life. For some reason, I dread social occasions where one has to make polite conversation but stick me on a bus or a train or out walking with the dog and meeting fellow dog owners and I can talk for England. Seem to recall a bus journey in Birmingham many years ago where me and my fellow passenger chatted about goldfish.

annsixty Mon 14-Aug-17 09:42:31

It is seldom when doing a bus journey or having a coffee on my own that I don't start a conversation with a stranger.
It is so good and so revealing. Go on just do it, you will soon realise if they are not interested and no harm is done.

deltadunarii Mon 14-Aug-17 09:14:37

I agree with talking to strangers! We should try to converse more, although some people may find it annoying, some may actually welcome a bit of conversation. I remember a wonderful conversation I had during a boring daily commute back from work when an Australian woman started to ask me about live in UK. She was visiting for few weeks exploring the country by train and thought UK was a wonderful and so much different to her isolated farm!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 14-Aug-17 09:14:10

When DH was alive we always harboured a desire to drive around the coast of Britain or France in a campervan. Sadly he didn't live long enough to retire and there's no way I'm doing this by myself.

W11girl Mon 14-Aug-17 09:12:51

Oh do go Morgana...I'll come with you!! I love all kinds of music from classical to rap and continuously think about putting together a radio station on-line for the more mature eclectic music lovers ...haven't got clue how...but I'm sure it can be done. At the moment I am the "DJ" at our monthly coffee mornings..I play all sorts to suit the audience, it goes down really well. I sing along with the radio in the charity shop where I work and the customers now join in with me!! Simple, but such fun! I can see my calling its just a matter of reaching it!!

RosemarySuperager Mon 14-Aug-17 09:05:51

I challenged myself to talk to strangers - something that I never dared to do - we're so programmed from an early age not to talk to strangers. I made myself say something to somebody every day for 30 days. I have had the most brilliant conversations as a result. Very occasionally I only get a grunt in response. I don't mind that any more although I would have cringed before I started on this exercise.
It's made me a lot more confident, and it's especially helped with learning a new language.

rosesarered Mon 14-Aug-17 08:20:32

Chewy..... you brave woman! grin

Chewbacca Sun 13-Aug-17 22:44:34

marionk are they pale tints or quite a deep colour? I'm really hankering after a really rich deep blue, almost a peacock blue. Might not be able to because I've got dyed hair already to cover up the grim gun metal grey of my own colour.

marionk Sun 13-Aug-17 22:02:33

Chewbacca, L'Oréal do a gel that you put on dry hair, leave for a few minutes and rinse out - they do lots of colours (I use the purple) - the great thing about it is that it washes out within a couple of shampoos so if you really hate it you could just wash it away! Do try it, I get loads of compliments when I am sporty my purple!

rosesarered Sun 13-Aug-17 20:53:44

There are loads of things I dare not do:
Holiday in Venezuela/ Iraq/ Iran etc
Take heroin
Go skating on thin ice
Bungee jump
White water rafting
Eat chilli
The list goes on....

Victoria08 Sun 13-Aug-17 20:40:27

My dh passed away when I was 60.
Some of my friends who were single suggested I go out clubbing with them, so I did.
I had a whale of a time and we went every Friday.
The club in question was not exclusively for youngsters, but it was mainly a mixed age group.
I met my partner there and we are still together twelve years later, so I say, go for it.
What have you got to lose?

Greyduster Sun 13-Aug-17 20:15:06

I'm ashamed to say that it is drive on a motorway. I had a horrendous near miss some years ago and never managed to get back on the horse, so to speak. I do drive, but it has dashed my confidence to drive on anything other than A and B roads.

grannylyn65 Sun 13-Aug-17 18:00:21

criticise even

grannylyn65 Sun 13-Aug-17 17:39:48

Critisicise my grandchildren!!!

gulligranny Sun 13-Aug-17 17:22:31

I'd love to have a go on a Segway but I have no sense of balance. I did face a big fear last year and ventured onto the glass-floored walkway on Tower Bridge - it was great, couldn't get me off it!

Diddy1 Sun 13-Aug-17 14:10:21

I would love to Bungy jump, we were in New Zealand at the place in Queenstown where it was invented, even went up to where they were jumping, but then seeing others close up, put me off, by the way it is free if you are over 70 lets get going ladies!

DeeWBW Sun 13-Aug-17 12:34:49

I've done ten parachute jumps but daren't put my head under water. I'm pisces the fish and would love to be able to swim but just frightened of the water.

DeeWBW Sun 13-Aug-17 12:34:02

I've done ten parachute jumps but daren't put my head under water. I'm pisces the fish and would love to be able to swim but just frightened of the water.

Smithy Sun 13-Aug-17 12:06:54

Loved it I meant

Smithy Sun 13-Aug-17 12:06:13

Tanith, have you looked at the possibility of going to Australia on the OzBus? It looks great and you can go on your own but it's safer and you can be as sociable as you please (or not). I looked at it a few years ago but never had the nerve for it, though I have had 3 weeks in Oz and lived it.

Blinko Sun 13-Aug-17 11:53:25

I would love to have learned to ski. I especially love the ski jumps at the Olympics, and the giant slalom. I tried it on the WiiFit but I was rubbish. Too late to improve now, I fear.... grin

chloe1984 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:20:55

I would love to try a skateboard the idea of flying along over ramps etc is exhilarating- however the idea of a broken hip doesn't appeal

paddyann Sun 13-Aug-17 11:00:38

nanageek tell her and even better tell your GD,its good for children to realise their parents were kids once upon a time and even better for adults to remember what it was like.I think too many people forget what its like to be young and if they could just step back into the head space they would be able to cope with their own children better.My GC have all heard stories about their parents ...age appropriate ones and my daughter is brilliant with her teen age son as she can say ,I know because I DID it so you wont get away with even thinking about it .

Jenb60 Sun 13-Aug-17 10:34:18

Chewbacca, its very easy to give grey hair a blue tint, I use Swarzkopf Blonde me Steel blue, you spray and comb through after your wash condition oil etc, I have very curly hair. I am stopped a lot and asked about the colour. I grew out the dye so now have grey hair which is good but I thought needed a lift, and this is it, its water soluable so washes out. I use rubber gloves as it stains when wet but no problems when dry with pillows or during rain.