Gransnet forums

Chat

Too many unworn clothes,

(18 Posts)
Lilypops Sat 12-Aug-17 11:52:32

Help! Going to Cornwall for hols next week , so I thought I would sort out what to take, I know the weather could be either very hot or raining everyday, but my problem is ,when I came to go through my wardrobe , I have too many cardigans all colours as well as tops ,tshirts, I have never been able to do capsule wardrobe, but, I would like to pare it down a lot , I wear lots of jeans , white Capri pants in the summer, so just what colour cardigans should I keep, I have blue , red ,greens ,yellows , pinks, navy, turqoise,and black, some never get worn as they are hidden behind everything else, I do need sorting out don't I, ?

seacliff Sat 12-Aug-17 12:29:52

I'd pick several favourite tops, lay them out on the bed. Then see which cardi goes with most of them. I'd expect one cardi to go with at least 3 tops.

It sounds like your trousers/jeans will go with everything. Have a lovely holiday, Cornwall is so beautiful.

I'd probably take 3 cardis, and enough tops for every day plus a couple spare. I'm assuming you're driving, so have plenty of room.

Always difficult in the UK, layers is the best option.

seacliff Sat 12-Aug-17 12:31:14

I meant to say, have a wonderful holiday, very envious, love Cornwall.

whitewave Sat 12-Aug-17 12:42:28

Not sure Cornwall is ever very hot tbh.
Always breezy - but a lovely county.

Morgana Sat 12-Aug-17 12:55:25

We went about a month ago and had lovely weather. I just take whatever will fit into one bag! 2 OR 3 pairs of trousers and a few t shirt s. 2 card is and a waterproof jacket. Don't dress up much these days!

Lillie Sat 12-Aug-17 12:58:52

I would stick to nautical colours like white and navy, with maybe a splash of yellow. Have a great time!

NanKate Sat 12-Aug-17 16:04:47

I used to take paper knickers on holiday and chuck them away every night, however I never see them in Boots anymore. I am not brave enough to go commando and of course I might slightly wee myself grin without Knicks.

Lilypops Sat 12-Aug-17 17:12:26

Thankyou ladies for your tips, I think all of those are good advice , jeans , shorts (knee length) and then layers with a waterproof , and my comfiest trainers/sandals, just bought Toms, oh so comfy ,We are going by coach so comfy floral trousers for travelling , think I have it sussed now, Just want nice weather,

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:02:28

I did get burnt in Rock many years ago when I was young and foolish.
And in Newquay.

Welshwife Sat 12-Aug-17 18:25:22

Boat rides from Padstow and the. Fish and chips!

Cornishgirl777 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:31:09

Whatever you do,take a raincoat....ignore any weather forecast that says wall to wall sunshine.

MamaCaz Sat 12-Aug-17 19:10:57

Getting burnt in the Rock sounds very painful, Jalima, though undoubtedly worse for men grin

As for unworn clothes, I am struggling to imagine what that must be like. My biggest problem is putting together an outfit that doesn't make me look like a scarecrow!

Regardless of the weather, I would have thought that as it's summer, one light-coloured cardigan would be suitable to wear with just about any holiday outfit, wouldn't it? (Or maybe this is where I am going wrong, hence the scarecrow look! blush)

Oriel Sat 12-Aug-17 20:30:15

I would keep to blue and white. Take your white Capri pants and jeans together with a blue cardi, lots of tops and T shirts. Do you have a waterproof mac? I bought one from Joules which folds up into its own pocket. You could wear this in the rain or use it as a wind-cheater on top of cardi if it gets nippy.

Have a lovely time!

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 20:47:05

It was painful, MamaCaz and what was worse we got told off by the St John Ambulance lady who was on hand because we lived in Devon and 'should have known better'.

I bought a very light waterproof mac from M&S, it is going with me to the antipodes.

Deedaa Sat 12-Aug-17 20:54:00

Gosh I've only got two cardigans, both sort of pale gold, one long sleeved and one short sleeved. But thet do go with most things.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 21:05:26

I must sort through my ill assorted wardrobe and find out what goes with what.

Perhaps if I sorted in garments that go with each other rather than tops, trousers, skirts etc, that could work.

phoenix Sat 12-Aug-17 21:23:06

When I went on a 4 day trip to Paris,. many years ago,I actually managed the sort of capsule wardrobe thing!

Jeans, a proper blazer, (Jaeger, actually, but from a charity shop grin, navy silky top, that was sort of shirt style, in that you could wear it buttoned, or unbuttoned over a t shirt , white polo shirt, mid length skirt that matched the top (BHS, when they still existed) , spare white top, spare navy top, sorted!

Lilypops Sun 13-Aug-17 09:43:22

Thankyou getters for your helpful tips on what to take away to Cornwall, got the packing down to 5tops , one for each day as I tend to spill things down my front!! 2pairs of jeans and 2pairs of white Capri pants , 3 cardi,s to go with everything, dressy skirt and top for nights , andofcourse a waterproof,, Now, the shoes next!!!! I have just bought a pair of Toms, like espadrilles, oh so comfy, they will go with everything , flip flops if we go on the beach,and one pair of dressy sandals to go with the skirt,phew, it's hard work packing isn't it, x