Gransnet forums

Chat

It's not 1st April is it?!

(15 Posts)
harrigran Tue 15-Aug-17 23:25:03

I saw 'cats eyes removed' signs today between Kirkby Stephen and Brough. I could not imagine any child I know believing that real eyes were used confused

chocolatepudding Tue 15-Aug-17 22:32:30

I live Suffolk and today I saw at least six of the new signs
Waste of money!

rosesarered Tue 15-Aug-17 20:43:59

If so, Suffolk County Council need their collective heads held down in Lowestoft town water trough.

rosesarered Tue 15-Aug-17 20:42:39

Is this actually serious?

Jalima1108 Tue 15-Aug-17 20:39:59

Zebra crossing
Where?

This is beyond ridiculous
Some stupid American tourist thought we were mistreating felines (or was she taking the mickey?).
I'm sure America will not change any of their traditions because British tourists find them odd.

MiniMouse Tue 15-Aug-17 19:39:30

Hi GKnot smile

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:49:43

Digressing a bit but what about on a parking sign 'No return within one hour'

Cherrytree59 Tue 15-Aug-17 18:03:38

Maryeliza I used to wind our young DC with that one
Had them on the look out for trees crossing the roadgrin

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:50:30

Meant to add 're the OP - words fail me! (Hi minimouse) smile

Grannyknot Tue 15-Aug-17 17:48:40

monica I had the best advice about that situation from an ex-colleague: if she had 39 positive responses, she would without hesitation, tear up the one negative one. Job done.

maryeliza54 Tue 15-Aug-17 17:30:44

What do they make of 'Heavy Plant Crossing'?

NanaandGrampy Tue 15-Aug-17 17:02:28

What a load of tosh ! Talk about dumbing down [sigh]

Ana Tue 15-Aug-17 16:42:20

I've never seen a notice which said 'cats eyes removed' - they usually just say 'Warning - no cats eyes'.

Ridiculous. You'd have thought it would have sunk into general knowledge by now - as for tourists...hmm

M0nica Tue 15-Aug-17 16:27:01

It's the tyranny of the minority these days. One or two people complain about something and it has to be changed no matter how many people like it as it is.

I belong to a group that organises a short coach tour for about 40 members each year. Each year there is a feedback form and if 39 people say the hotel was excellent but one says not, the discussion that goes on over the criticism of the one is quite ridiculous.

No group, whether road users (millions), or our group (40) is going to reach absolute agreement on everything. You assess the number of complainants, the nature of the complaint and then make a decision and the bigger the majority content with things as they are the less likely you are to go with the complaint(there will be exceptions) .

MiniMouse Tue 15-Aug-17 15:52:15

*"A local council in England has decided to change the name of the reflective road markings known as 'cat's eyes' in favour of 'road studs' after confused tourists and worried children thought real animals parts were used on British highways.

The initial confusion was caused after signs saying 'warning cats eyes removed' was taken literally by tourists and young children.

'Road stud' warnings have now replaced the traditional signs after Suffolk County Council approved the change."*

At what cost? angry

(Sorry, couldn't get italics or bold to work in preview, so don't know if they'll work when this is posted!)