Gransnet forums

Chat

Autumn

(17 Posts)
Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 10:20:55

Am I the only person who thinks it feels like Autumn?

Alima Sat 19-Aug-17 10:28:52

No Teetime, you are not alone. Summer seems a long time ago but I am sure it only started raining when the schools broke up. There is time yet for some good weather, courtesy of hurricane Gert if I should believe what I have read. I am sure when the sun arrives it won't matter quite so much about the days drawing in.

goldengirl Sat 19-Aug-17 10:32:05

I agree Teetime I've got my leggings on and have had to wear cardies AND a jacket during the past few days. So disappointing. AND I've noticed the nights are drawing in too.

grannysue05 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:32:09

Yes, it feels autumnal already. I know because I have been wearing my bedsocks this week.
Usually don't resort to these until late September.

Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 10:37:35

Indeed I have freezing feet this morning and the sky is overcast. Apples are dropping of the tree and people are talking about Christmas and making arrangements. I noticed I out the lamps on in the living room earlier last night. I suppose I don't mind September can be lovely and I always think of new beginnings in Autumn.

MiniMouse Sat 19-Aug-17 10:47:09

Definitely an autumnal nip in the air in the evenings. Yesterday we had rain in the back garden and brilliant sunshine without rain in the front garden. Twice! Of course, the washing was hanging in the back garden!

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:56:50

I have thought this about August for the past couple of years too.

I expect the weather will improve when the children go back to school at the beginning of September smile

Luckygirl Sat 19-Aug-17 10:59:01

I overlook a wood and - sorry folks! - but there are a few orange leaves!

whitewave Sat 19-Aug-17 11:12:08

Going to be mid-twenties next week ?

Chewbacca Sat 19-Aug-17 11:12:56

We've had a few days of torrential rain, thunder and lightening, high winds and general autumnal weather here in the NW, and the leaves on the trees are showing a hint of turning colour. But autumn is my favourite season so I'm OK with that. smile

whitewave Sat 19-Aug-17 11:13:25

I'm still sleeping half the night with just a sheet!!!

Alima Sat 19-Aug-17 11:25:53

I don't believe it! Someone has mentioned the "C" word and I tried so hard not to! I think I am slipping back a season anyway, been thinking today about washing the curtains.

MawBroon Sat 19-Aug-17 11:49:49

I normally love Autumn - crisp sunny days, autumn colours, fair enough darker evenings, but TV schedules restart, and no more pretending it is warm enough to expose any goose flesh. What's not to like?
We have had some baking hot weather, even a drought in the garden, but this year I feel sad. Paw's summer disappeared into Milton Keynes Hospital and I wonder what the coming year will bring.sad
Right enough of that, (kicks self up the bum) how about looking out my favourite coatigans smilesmile

jusnoneed Sat 19-Aug-17 11:51:25

We have been saying this for a few of weeks now, the garden is certainly looking autumnal. Trees are starting to colour and lose leaves, and the autumn fruits have been early. Blackberries ripened weeks ago, and I noticed the beech nuts on the ground. The street lights came on at around 8.30 the last couple of evenings.
I don't mind as I don't like hot weather, although it's still fairly warm at the moment.
Spring/summer certainly have started earlier the last couple of years.

LadyGracie Sat 19-Aug-17 12:06:18

I don't like the autumn when the trees change colour and lose their leaves, I'd like to hibernate from when the trees are bare until they start getting new shoots. I get quite low in mood in autumn and over winter.

Greyduster Sat 19-Aug-17 12:23:50

We were out in a very large wood at the end of last week and I can't say I noticed many trees with leaves turning colour, but in one of our local country parks yesterday there were definite signs of it, and the wind was brisk and cold. The only reason I like the cooler weather is that the trout, who sulk on the bottom when it is hot, start to come to the surface and the dry fly fishing is at its best. I don't like the nights drawing in though.

Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 14:07:16

Well once the leaves drop on the golf course I'm in big trouble. DH has trouble keeping track of his balls at the best of times and I'll be on my hands and knees in the rough looking for them. grin