(25 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 20-Aug-17 08:58:07

One of my favourite poems starts
"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness
Close bosom friend of the maturing sun"

The hanging baskets still unplanted
What is the point, the summer’s done
The best laid plans, the good intent
The patio still unpowerwashed (enthusiasm spent)

Where are the burnished limbs I planned
The sun kissed locks
And maybe even fitting last year’s frocks?
The linen shirts, the cotton tops
Hanging by the unworn flip flops

And all those plans of summer meals, of Pimms
The kettle BBQ on wheels
A lawn like carpet, green and smooth
And then we get another pooch

Well never mind.
We Brits are hardy
Now where did I put
Last winter’s cardi?

Bellanonna Sun 20-Aug-17 09:03:01

You really are inventive maw. The thing is, I can empathise with some of that too.

That autumnal tinge is noticeable now and those wonderful Keats lines always spring to mind round about now.

Anniebach Sun 20-Aug-17 09:03:50

I wish I could like autumn, but it means winter and snow are on the way

ninathenana Sun 20-Aug-17 09:05:14

Early mornings and evenings are certainly Autumnal here in Kent but 10 am-4 pm still gives us summery temps. In fact we are forecast 23-24 Tuesday and Wednesday.
I haven't reached for a cardi ......yet

merlotgran Sun 20-Aug-17 09:12:42

An early autumn will give me a bit more time to cut back the borders and try to rectify the tangled mess.

I just need a big energy boost.

illtellhim Sun 20-Aug-17 09:19:11

I must agree a certain coldness is in the air, I notice it while watching the wife hang out some clothes to dry.

I told her to put a coat on while she finished of the gardening, some women eh!! ,you've really got to take them by the hand. smile

Smithy Sun 20-Aug-17 09:26:48

Good poem MB.
Illtellhim - I Luke it!

Smithy Sun 20-Aug-17 09:33:49

Sent too soon - should have read I like it.
That autumnal nip in the air though has been present most of our summer in this NE neck or the woods. I too dread the thought of winter waiting in the wings.

Tippy22 Sun 20-Aug-17 09:40:01

That is so clever and so apt Mawbroon. Have you been hiding in my garden. It only seems last week I was looking forward to Spring. All the things I'd planned to do in the summer just hasn't happened.

ElaineI Sun 20-Aug-17 09:51:42

Certainly feels like the beginnings of Autumn a bit and darker earlier in the evenings. We never have temperatures consistently over 20 and has been quite a wet summer this year but I love the colours of Autumn. Our kids are almost all back to school now which is a shame as Edinburgh Festival is now in full swing and it would be great if the schools were off a bit longer to allow them to soak up the atmosphere. However lots of Autumn activities on offer now to book up.

Christinefrance Sun 20-Aug-17 12:19:04

Yes its wonderful, I love Autumn, Spring, winter in that order. Really dislike the heat and humidity of summer. Sorry sun lovers. smile

Christinefrance Sun 20-Aug-17 12:20:00

Love the poem Maw

BlueBelle Sun 20-Aug-17 12:51:41

No not yet my Nerines aren't even shooting their stalks up yet that's my clue to Autumn I like autumn but hate the onset of winter give me a bit of sult any time

LadyGracie Sun 20-Aug-17 13:16:24

Roll on Spring, I don't enjoy Autumn or Winter. I was born for a warm climate!

lemongrove Sun 20-Aug-17 13:18:47

Are you the new Poet Laureate MawB ? Very good and apt.
I do love Autumn though.??
Still feel warm and wearing Summer dresses, but it's only a matter of a couple of weeks now, 'Summer's lease hath all too short a date' unless we have an Indian Summer of course.

grumppa Sun 20-Aug-17 14:12:27

A wild west wind was starting to blow yesterday evening: a Shelley autumn rather than a Keats one.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Aug-17 14:39:41

I'm all for Autumn. I was a bitterly complaining moaner about the hot weather, and said I would never complain about colder temperatures.

Charleygirl Sun 20-Aug-17 14:51:08

My washing is drying in the sunshine and breeze but there is an autumnal air. I have the French doors closed because I feel cold.

I was hoping not to switch on the central heating in the evenings for at least another month but I do not think that will happen because I am feeling cold mid afternoon.

I have to admit that Hattie and Sam know how to relax and spend their days. A rug would not be my first choice but they are both very happy being brought up in homes where they are well loved and cared for.

Menopaws Sun 20-Aug-17 19:30:45

Winter drawers on

lemongrove Sun 20-Aug-17 20:14:18

Definitely grin great big winceyette ones.
Am looking out at the garden and it's dark and raining.sad

LadyGracie Sun 20-Aug-17 22:56:45

I haven't stopped wearing my vest at all this year!

rascal Sun 20-Aug-17 23:00:39

Here in Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park it definitely feels Autumnal and today we noticed some of the leaves on the Silver Birch trees are turning slightly yellow so Winter is on the way. We've had rain for weeks! shock

merlotgran Sun 20-Aug-17 23:07:59

LadyGracie. Do you live in the Arctic Circle?

Vest? I haven't worn anything heavier than a T shirt since May.

Please tell me you weren't wearing a vest during the June heatwave? grin

Chewbacca Sun 20-Aug-17 23:18:14

Autumn is my favourite season. That smell of crisp clear air in the mornings and hard, bright blue skies. Beautiful, colourful trees and leaves on the ground. And seeing diamonds of dew on the grass in the morning. The low sun that casts long shadows. Going up to the forest to get the logs for the woodburner, ready for winter and the smell of the logs when you stack them up to dry. And seeing your rows of jars of homemade chutneys, made from the summer fruits and vegetables.
I do love the autumn months! smile

merlotgran Sun 20-Aug-17 23:40:48

We moved to the edge of the Cambridgeshire fens in the autumn of 1975 and I hated it.

It took years before I welcomed the sight of neatly ploughed fields revealing jet black fertile soil beneath the harvest stubble and the ever present sweetburn aroma of sugar beet from the neighbouring factory (now closed)

The huge skies are magnificent on a cloudless day and trees in all their glorious colours are not taken for granted because there aren't that many of them.

We've grown to expect our Indian summers. They never disappoint.