Gransnet forums

Chat

Mumsnet

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 20-Aug-17 10:44:36

Anyone else read today that a few companies have withdrawn their business from "over there" due to the foul language on a lot of posts. Tgey don't want their companies seen on the same page as these posts.

Riverwalk Sun 20-Aug-17 10:57:49

I read that there'd been a few complaints but no actual withdrawal of adverts. I'd say it's too lucrative a market for advertisers to leave Mumsnet.

Companies want to sell - can't imagine they're too fussy!

ninathenana Sun 20-Aug-17 11:34:24

I read NT and confused.com have withdrawn and M&S are monitoring the situation

Christinefrance Sun 20-Aug-17 12:11:08

Yes I read that too, I think companies will not be too happy with their ad placement if it happens regularly.

Craicon Sun 20-Aug-17 12:20:53

Ha. There's not enough swearing on there, if you ask me.
If nothing else, it helps to put off the lazy journalists who lift threads and quote posters in rags like the Daily Fail and The Express.
There should be swearing on here too.

TriciaF Sun 20-Aug-17 12:28:22

OK but what's the point of swearing? it doesn't get you anywhere. Just letting off steam.
If you're fed up about something, DO something about it, rather than behaving like spoilt children.

NanaandGrampy Sun 20-Aug-17 14:34:22

Swearing , in my opinion, is lazy and shows a lack of command of our glorious language. Don't get me wrong I can swear like a trooper , I just don't have to because as my grandson says ' I use my words ' !

I'm glad that it's not every other word here , that's why I don't frequent Mumsnet .

grannylyn65 Sun 20-Aug-17 15:41:46

Ooo I love mn, apart from the Awful Language!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Aug-17 15:59:52

Another here who can turn the air blue when the need arises, and I do enjoy MN. But some of those sweary usernames make me cringe.

varian Sun 20-Aug-17 16:32:53

It is one thing to swear in an extreme situation, but I objecg to casual meaningless habitual swearing, which I have come across in RL , usually, but not always, from badly educated people who have a limited vocabulary.

I think it is more prevelant amonst younger folk, and somehow sounds worse coming from young women.

I have noticed it a fair bit on Mumsnet and I find it off putting. It detracts from the subject of a post, rather than reinforcing the point.

I really hope we're not going to start seeing a lot of swearing on Gransnet. We're supposed to be old enough to know better.

ninathenana Sun 20-Aug-17 18:20:12

When I first met H's sister who spent all her working life in a high powered bank job in London, I was horrified by her language. She's now in her 60's and still swears all the time.

Primrose65 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:32:39

I'm not bothered by swearing at all. The people I know who swear the most tend to have a decent vocabulary!

Baggs Sun 20-Aug-17 18:40:35

I'm not bothered by swearing either. I am bothered by rudeness but that can be, and often is, done using 'polite' words.

Iam64 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:47:05

I read recently that people who use swear words/foul language a lot tend to be intelligent. Who Knew! Many of the mums net threads are so well informed and argued that perhaps that research is a) true and b) based in part on an analysis of mumsnet. I confess to knowing many many young people who use language that would have made my parents blush, very easily and never in an abusive way. FFS is as common as Oh Dear/Dashit was to my grandparents generation.
Times change. I'm not averse to the odd curse myself but never ever in anger. That way danger lies I think.

grannylyn65 Sun 20-Aug-17 18:51:13

ffs ??

Menopaws Sun 20-Aug-17 18:54:26

Sometimes no other word will do but don't like it all the time as it's less effective

Baggs Sun 20-Aug-17 18:57:09

Seems very effective at narking some people wink. Perhaps that's one of its uses—thinning the opposition, so to speak.

Crafting Sun 20-Aug-17 20:30:01

Don't swear, (apart from saying bloody Norah occasionally) never have don't see the need. I can usually get my point across using ordinary language. Think it must be the influence of my mum no dad who I never heard swear either.