Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday reads

(70 Posts)
Kittye Sat 26-Aug-17 09:19:31

I'm off on holiday next week and want to load up my kindle. Any suggestions ? I'm looking for easy reading and open to most genre although not keen on sci-fi or fantasy.

EllenT Tue 29-Aug-17 11:51:34

Longbourne by Jo Baker. A parallel 'downstairs' story to Pride & Prejudice's 'upstairs'. Thoroughly absorbing.

Beejo Tue 29-Aug-17 12:16:09

Anything by Catherine Ryan Hyde - perfect holiday reading for me

Stella14 Tue 29-Aug-17 12:17:33

Some of the recommendations above are great. I'd also recommend 'The Rosie Project' (and it's sequal) by Greame Simsion. It's intelligent and funny!

quizqueen Tue 29-Aug-17 12:27:35

Sophie Hannah's detective stories, Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins, anything by Paul Torbay or Anne Tyler.

keffie Tue 29-Aug-17 12:33:55

Sophie Kinsella The shopaolics series. They're is 6 of them. Make sure you read them in order. Absolutely lighthearted and so funny.

They are about a woman in her 20s and the scrapes she gets in over money. She meets the love of her life in the first book. Without giving too much a way, the book series goes something like this:

Diary of a shopaolic
Shopaolic gets married
Shopaolic has her baby
Shopaolic and her daughter
Shopaolic and her sister
Shopaolic abroad

Think a couple of them might be the wrong way round however that should help Google them for book order.

Also Maeve Binchey: lightweight gently humerous at times, stories set in Southern Ireland about various different communities. As you read each one you can see the overlaps of other characters being bought in to the play from other books. Lots of them too so they are books you can carry on. No particular order as you can pick up on the books the various characters from other books

Enjoy your holidays

moobox Tue 29-Aug-17 12:41:42

Home going - Yaa Gyasi
The girl in the red cat - Kate Hamer

devongirl Tue 29-Aug-17 12:46:38

moobox - hat?? or car??

Sleepyamber Tue 29-Aug-17 13:27:54

I can recommend Dinah Jefferies and Julia Gregson. They set their books mainly in Asia/ India around the 1940's

annifrance Tue 29-Aug-17 13:44:38

Celia Imrie's two books set on the French Riviera are great holiday reads. I am also enjoying Peter May Enzo MacLeod series, also set in France and very descriptive, if you know France well you can recognise all sorts of routes and places. Lots of anecdotes about the area/ subject.

Craftycat Tue 29-Aug-17 13:45:40

If you have Kindle try joining Kindle Unlimited. Both DH & I read loads of books for free on holiday- you get 12 books at a time & then return them online & get another each time. We have had it for about 2 years & you get some really good books on there. I have found authors I have never heard of really enjoyed them too. I think t is about £6 a month but for the number of books we both read every month this is a real bargain for us. I read the Sara Alexis Greek Village series last year & this year discovered a new book by her- The Piano Raft- which I loved. TBH I re-read all the Shardlake books -which I already had on my Kindle from a couple of years back when I first read them- on a Greek beach this year which was a bit odd - I'm sure I was on the only person there reading about 16C history but it was good to read them all at once.

minxie Tue 29-Aug-17 14:14:44

Try Miss Read. Set in village life back in the day. Very gentle reading and I love them all.

melp1 Tue 29-Aug-17 14:55:57

Love books by Jojo Moyes, Frank McCourt, Mark Haddon, Rosamunde Pilcher.

MTDancer Tue 29-Aug-17 15:41:26

Am I the only one who likes thrillers? I love Lee Child, David Baldacci, James Patterson etc. Are these mainly classed as male reads?

charliebb Tue 29-Aug-17 15:53:16

Judith Lennox - all her books are pretty unputdownable! Also just read The Art of Hiding by Amanda Prowse, excellent read.

mrswoo Tue 29-Aug-17 16:30:52

Lucinda Riley's Seven Sisters series is a fantastic read. So far 3 books have been published and the next will be out later this year. Highly recommended.

Kittye Tue 29-Aug-17 16:57:10

Ooh lots more to load on...think I'll wait til I get back though. Have read the Shopaholic ones.. Enjoyed them all!EllenT have read Longbourne very enjoyable.

TriciaF Tue 29-Aug-17 17:05:44

I've just ordered one of the Montalbano books from Amazon. The Shape of Water.
Someone on the thread about the TV series said they were good.

Jennieantliff Tue 29-Aug-17 17:17:26

Anything by Nora Roberts

Jane43 Tue 29-Aug-17 17:53:12

Anything by Anita Shreve - Sea Glass is the last one I read.

EllenT Tue 29-Aug-17 18:03:11

Forgot about my favourite detective series, Donna Leon's stories about the Venetian Commissario Brunetti. The first, though possibly not the best, is Death at La Fenice.

Oriel Tue 29-Aug-17 18:37:25

I like Kate Atkinson. A God in Ruins and Life After Life are brilliant. Then there are the Jackson Brodie Case Histories.

squiggy Tue 29-Aug-17 19:38:47

If you're looking for a book to tug at your emotions, read Me Without You by Kelly Rimmer. Really beautiful and ticks all my boxes.

yellowcanary Tue 29-Aug-17 20:13:38

I use Bookbub - you can download several free books a day of different types from Amazon to Kindle (some books can go to Kobo/Apple as well.

You can also buy them as well but if you can get them for free why not do it?

Jane10 Tue 29-Aug-17 22:03:04

Because someone's bothered to write them?

GrannyLondon Tue 29-Aug-17 22:40:24

I really enjoy the wife & husband team... Nicky French. Their psychological thrillers in the Frieda Klein " a compassionate, determined & gritty heroine" series are really well written.

At the moment I am reading Nicky Gerrard's ( The woman of the duo!) The Twilight Hour. I just find it gripping.

If you don't fancy them for your holiday, do give them a whirl when you get back.

Have a lovely time.