Gransnet forums

Chat

So frustrating... Sorry a Rant!!

(19 Posts)
Oriel Thu 31-Aug-17 10:57:07

We're getting ready to go away for a month. Son and partner will be staying at our house so no problems there. Our problems have been trying to organise things to take whilst away.

We've spent two weeks trying to obtain enough medication. Numerous phone calls and a visit to the doctor wasn't enough to get what we needed. Amongst other medication my husband needed Tramadol 2 tabs x 4 times a day - that's 8 a day x 31 days. We were given 100 tabs - just a random number. We queried it and were told that it's that amount because he takes 1 tab twice a day confused. Explained the correct dosage and waited the four days to pick it up - this time there was no medication at all nor apparently was there anything in the system. Check with pharmacy, check with repeat ordering, each says the other has the script. Two weeks later we finally get the medication we need. To add insult to injury during the protracted phone calls I found most of the staff were rude and appeared to try to place the blame with us. No apology given when it was obvious that they had 'lost' the script, despite everything being online... how does that happen?

We travel in our motorhome and so need remote WiFi. We decided to upgrade and buy the latest model with increased data capacity. It arrives and looks lovely - just need to activate the SIM. Simple you'd think... no, not really. The instructions say log on and follow the online instructions, so we did but found that the system only works if your SIM is for a phone not a WiFi.

Go to on-line type-chat for help. I told the guy what I needed help with and he said he could offer assistance. I then spent over half an hour just trying to get the person to understand what we'd bought.
Him: What was the product?
Me: an EE mini WiFi.
Him: no that's not correct what does it say on the box?
Me: an EE mini WiFi
Him: yes but what is the phone number and have we got the phone on.
Me: its not a phone it's a WiFi.
Then he kept asking which company provided it...
Me: well that would be EE.
Him: Who?
Me: The company you work for, EE.
Him Who?
Eventually I typed EE Limited - Yes! that's the correct answer (apparently I'd typed the magic words which seems to be 'Limited')
Him: but I can't help, you need to go to the shop to activate the SIM.

A lovely little gizmo packaged well and really user-appealing ruined by dreadful backup.

Why are things so difficult?

Jane10 Thu 31-Aug-17 11:42:29

Modern life!!!!

Jane10 Thu 31-Aug-17 11:43:23

Modern life!! Try to enjoy your holiday anyway.

Oriel Thu 31-Aug-17 11:52:40

Thanks Jane.

Yes, hopefully it will all come together. It seems like having to jump through hoops at the moment.

Smithy Thu 31-Aug-17 12:40:29

Yes modern life can be very frustrating. Hope you enjoy your holiday anyway.

Morgana Thu 31-Aug-17 13:50:19

The whole prescription saga is a nightmare and I fear a terrible waste of precious NHS money. DH takes quite a lot of medicine and we have given up trying to get it 'streamlined' so that he needs one prescription every few months without running out or overstocking. I would like to see a system, where, if you are on regular prescription 'for ever' the DR signs a script for 12 months, it is then lodged with the chemist who dispenses on a regular agreed basis. Reviewed annually (as it is supposed to be now). DS had terrible trouble getting pain relief about 6 months ago, whilst awaiting his op. In the end he used DD's tablets (prescribed for post childbirth pain)!

mcem Thu 31-Aug-17 14:31:01

If your OH is taking that amount of tramadol each day, I hope you'll do all the driving.
My DD has just weaned herself off tramadol (and it wasn't easy).
She was strongly advised that she shouldn't drive so her life was pretty restricted for months.
Tramadol is one of the opiate based drugs which can lead to prosecution unless specific permission is given by doctor.

Oriel Thu 31-Aug-17 16:49:00

mcem I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was addicted to Tramadol - I know it can be a horrible drug.

My husband is taking it short term as he's just had two fairly major operations. You don't need specific permission from a doctor though, just a prescription which I guess amounts to the same thing.

cornergran Thu 31-Aug-17 16:58:26

I sympathise with the technical issue, Oriel, I'm fresh from an hours on line chat with two 'advisors' at my mobile provider to re-negotiate my deal so it matched one offered by a competitor. I got there, but an hour?? I have also been prescribed Tramadol, I don't take it now as the side effects were too serious to manage, however the doctor was clear there were no driving restrictions attached to it. I hope the rest of your preparations go smoothly and enjoy a well earned holiday.

Nonnie Thu 31-Aug-17 17:08:22

You have my sympathy. I'm dealing with the unexpected death of my son and have come across some wonderfully helpful people - and the other sort! Two were "sorry for your inconvenience" and I'm afraid I left them with no uncertainty about how I felt about that.

I must have lost several days just hanging on to actually speak to a person. Even those in bereavement departments were sometimes unsympathetic and useless. Makes me wonder why we have any unemployment at all.

Oriel Thu 31-Aug-17 17:15:51

How awful Nonnie. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son, you must be devastated. The death of any family member is difficult to cope with but the death of a child, no matter what their age, is truly heartbreaking.

Nonnie Fri 01-Sep-17 09:14:53

Thanks Oriel. I pop in and out on GN as a way of taking my mind off it but it doesn't help. Can't give myself time to think.

Welshwife Fri 01-Sep-17 09:38:10

Very sorry to see your news Nonnie. - I remember well the reaction of my grandmother at my uncle's funeral - asOriel says no mother should have that.

Welshwife Fri 01-Sep-17 09:45:08

We had problems with prescriptions when we were still living in the UK and staying in France for three months. The new surgery we had been forced to move to because of boundaries were very unhelpful and told us when going to anywhere which was not a third world country people were expected to source their medication there!! Eventually I phoned the local health board who told us we cause for complaint and would we like them to instigate a complaint against the surgery. I declined the offer as I said I did not think it the right way to start a relationship with a new surgery. However I think they must have spoken to the surgery because suddenly the prescription was available for us to collect and we never had trouble again.
Here in France we get a prescription for up to four months and you just take it each month for another supply. The pharmacy stamps the prescription each time.

annodomini Fri 01-Sep-17 09:50:41

Sincere condolences Nonnie to you and your family.

Greyduster Fri 01-Sep-17 10:11:54

Nonnie my heart goes out to you - I am so sorry for your loss.

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Sep-17 10:15:42

Nonnie. Very sorry to hear about your DS. Hugs.

Nonnie Fri 01-Sep-17 16:43:24

Thanks all of you

hulahoop Fri 01-Sep-17 16:51:11

Sorry to hear of your loss nonnie ?