Gransnet forums

Chat

Gender neutral clothing?

(11 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sun 03-Sep-17 12:59:00

I saw this article about John Lewis removing gender labelling from boys / girls clothing today:

www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/style/john-lewis-gets-rid-of-boys-and-girls-labels-in-childrens-clothing/ar-AAr72oC?li=AA2FOLs&ocid=spartanntp

I think there is a lot to be said for doing away with 'negative' labelling, typically e.g. 'Little Monster' / 'I always get my way!' ,'I am a Princess'. I think this type of thing can impart questionable messages that reflect / shape thinking, attitudes and aspirations more than we might realise.

But where is the ' gender neutral 'boundary to be drawn?

Would you dress a boy in pink?
Would you let a boy wear a dress if that was what he chose for that day?

To my mind, IF we limit opportunity / expectations in life by gender stereotyping, then that needs to be addressed. But I think we may do just as much harm by 'imposing' apparent 'neutrality'.

I wonder if there is a link between what seems to be growing confusion over gender / sexual identity in younger people and too much 'carefulness' over avoiding gender stereotyping?

What do you think?

Auntieflo Sun 03-Sep-17 13:34:07

Last night in a restaurant, a family came in and their tall, teenage? boy, had on a pink hoodie type jacket. He looked great.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Sep-17 13:41:44

I'm not entirely in favour of the blurring of gender lines, because it seems to be almost a fashion statement amongst young people. It makes me glad I'm not responsible for brining up children in today's world.

SueDonim Sun 03-Sep-17 14:15:52

I saw a child's dress this week with cars on the fabric. Fab for the car-mad children of this world! Sainsburys also have knickers with dinosaurs on them, and why not? It isn't just boys who like dinosaurs.

This 'pinkification' of clothing and toys didn't used to happen when my children were small. One well known high street shop is currently selling pink trainers for girls with the label 'Trendy'. The boys equivalent says 'Running'. Why on earth is there the need for that?

One of my children is currently expecting a baby and has chosen not to find out the sex. It's really hard to find anything gender neutral for newborns that isn't white & grey, with misshapen animals on it. I did find some cute navy, red & white babygrows in Tesco, though.

lemongrove Sun 03-Sep-17 14:32:41

Time for all the sea of pink things for girls to vanish,there used to be some no doubt years ago, but not as much as now or so cutesy. I used to buy dungarees for my girls, really practical, in fact they only had a dress for special occasions.

Anya Sun 03-Sep-17 14:40:16

Bring it on! Boys wear skirts in other cultures (Scotland, Greece) as part of their national dress. Once on mufti day a Y6 boy in my class came to school in a dress. Raised a few eyebrows in those days but by lunchtime no one really bothered about it.

Luckygirl Sun 03-Sep-17 14:58:25

I think that children should be able to wear what they like - I vividly remember my GS at about 4, stark naked with high-heeled silver plastic mules.

I do think that pink should stay though - to be worn by whoever wishes to. It would be a shame if everything were yellow or white.

SueDonim Sun 03-Sep-17 15:12:00

I don't think pink will disappear. I love the colour. Along with yellow, they are my favourites colours.

My Dh has long worn pink shirts to work etc, as has one of my sons. The colour just suits them.

When I lived in West Africa and in Indonesia, there was no gender aspect to pink. One school near us in Jakarta had a pink school uniform for boys and girls and in W Africa, no one thought twice about boys wearing pink clothes.

MawBroon Sun 03-Sep-17 16:07:26

Great minds think alike imperfect?
I started this thread this morning!!
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1240137-No-more-pink-princesses-or-who-says-dinosaurs-are-only-for-boys

Imperfect27 Sun 03-Sep-17 18:28:50

Hah! So they do Maw ... Missed yours earlier or word have put my tuppence there ha ha x

BlueBelle Sun 03-Sep-17 20:32:54

I just wish they wouldn't make all these huge hoo hahs over it many men wear pink or lilac shirts Hippy guys have worn all colours for ever girls have worn boys jeans since I started wearing them as a kid we always bought boys jeans as they fitted on the hips better I remember when my Nan was around at some point, maybe forties some women wore ties as an accessory it's the big fuss that annoys me because it then makes kids question themselves if they like pink and they see it advertised they they should like army green .... if nothing was blazoned about these things it would easily sort itself out Its so simple to cater for girly girls, boyish boys, and unisex, all mixed up for people to find their own preferences