Gransnet forums

Chat

Online raffles

(6 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 10:44:09

Was watching a programme about this recently, online raffles and tombola type things, that are mainly cons, sucking people in, after all, it's gambling and addictive.
Some prizes were: a pregnant dog, a monkey, but sometimes a holiday or just cash.
They are started by unscrupulous people who pretend to give money to charities.
Has anyone come across these scams?

pensionpat Mon 04-Sep-17 13:37:09

How annoying that people can do this. I suppose internet scams develop quicker than legislation. I am running my first ever raffle and have been surprised at the hoops I have had to jump through. Register raffle with council £40. Promoter needs to be CRB checked. £72 Not to mention cost of printing tickets. I understand the reasons but can't imagine that all the raffles that are held between now and C have all adhered to the rules.

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 16:01:48

I think you are right PensionPat and even the ones that perhaps are not scams are illegal ones, unlike yours.
Some promise all roll over money goes to charities, but in reality goes to themselves.

M0nica Mon 04-Sep-17 17:00:47

A fool and their money are soon parted.

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 17:54:45

Wise words Monica if a bit harsh.?

I think a lot of these type of scams are aimed at those usually older people, stuck at home, sometimes with disabilities, bored, hoping for an extra bit of cash or nice prize, and of course there are legal online raffles, but people just need to be careful.

M0nica Mon 04-Sep-17 18:58:05

I would never dismiss the problems facing the vulnerable with these scams, but time and again you hear the non-vulnerable complaining about how they had been had. Yet a few minutes thought would have told them that what was on offer was too good to be true, but they got greedy and ignored the warnings.