Gransnet forums

Chat

Things my parents said ...

(168 Posts)
Imperfect27 Tue 12-Sep-17 08:44:10

Yes, a.n.other shameless attempt to get some chatter started this morning ... Some things my parents said have definitely stayed with me and (mostly) made some sense to me over the years. Here are a few I have remembered:-

On losing weight:
"Breakfast like a king, dine like a prince, supper like a pauper."

On household cleanliness:
'Everyone has to eat a peck of dirt before they die.'

And on social relations:
"If that person is being high and mighty with you, just imagine them sitting on the toilet ... it's a great leveller."

What words of wisdom - or silliness - have stayed with you over the years?

Anniebach Tue 12-Sep-17 10:07:54

my mother had so many gems we could never work out

Much wants more

A complaint of it's cold or tough

Brought- colder / tougher where's there none

But it's too hot brought - hotter where's there none , left us baffled

I want doesn't bring I've got

My father to the cry of - but everyone is going

Not every one, your not

MissAdventure Tue 12-Sep-17 10:16:34

What's for dinner was answered with "Air pie and kick-of-the-cat!" Or "Sh*t with sugar..

FarNorth Tue 12-Sep-17 10:22:24

If you eat all that you'll be sick!
(I never was)

Tinkerbell2208 Tue 12-Sep-17 10:23:52

Imperfect 27 - my mother said exactly that - and I got boxed ears for telling her to post my toast crusts out to them !!

grannysue05 Tue 12-Sep-17 10:42:48

From my Mum ....
It takes two to tango ........ when there was any scandal.

Franbern Tue 12-Sep-17 10:57:25

If asked what was for dinner was told by my Mum 'bread and pullet - the one the pulls the hardest gets the most'. No idea where this came from and have never heard anyone else ever say it!!!

Daddima Tue 12-Sep-17 11:03:50

Our dinners were " straw and caramels", or " tripe and treacle".

" Nae sense in wastin' two hooses" ( when two unattractive people got together!)

" This won't get the bairn a new bonnet".

" The old dog for the hard road and the pup for the pavement".

And many more....

trisher Tue 12-Sep-17 11:07:58

Franbern we sometimes got "Bread and pullet" as well. Other times it was "Windmill pie-if it'll go round"

Icyalittle Tue 12-Sep-17 11:12:44

My mother's was 'If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly!' when we tried to skimp on chores we'd been set. (We didn't think it was worth doing in the first place)

Yorkshiregirl Tue 12-Sep-17 11:15:13

Talks cheap my mother used to say, and how true it is, as people can talk nonsense and can't back it

A pounds your best friend

Another, but not words of wisdom ha ha was "I'll give you a clout round t earhole " I'm a Yorkshire lass, but she was Scottish though

inishowen Tue 12-Sep-17 11:15:45

My mum told me a shopkeeper had "wiped the floor" with a child who was stealing. I was horrified, taking it literally and thinking he had cleaned the floor with the child's hair.

Charleygirl Tue 12-Sep-17 11:30:14

Almost on a daily basis I heard about the starving children in Africa Imperfect. I also used to say that they are welcome to my food and this was with the tears streaming down my face. I always regretted it because my mother then resorted to violence.

MissAdventure Tue 12-Sep-17 11:32:05

"Talk's cheap" was one of my mums favourites, and one I often quote myself. My daughter said it to me a while back, when I was telling her all the promises someone had made me, which never materialised.

sue01 Tue 12-Sep-17 11:37:11

Take your coat off, otherwise you won't feel the benefit.

curlilox Tue 12-Sep-17 11:43:52

"Hunger 's the best sauce" when I wanted ketchup.

MinniesMum Tue 12-Sep-17 11:44:12

"Actions always have consequences", "ye shall reap what you sow", and most of the ones read above. Lovely trip down memory lane especially when I heard my son telling GD off and adding the first one. "What are consequences" she said!!!!! Probably thought it was a new chocolate bar.

GrandmasueUK Tue 12-Sep-17 11:48:32

"They'd spoil another couple" (2 unattractive people together.
"Peas above sticks" ( too big for their boots)
"This is neither fishing nor mending the net" (when we were sitting doing nothing and there was work to be done)
"Lay'oles for meddlers" (when asked "what's that?) - just found out that lay holes is another name for graves, so is another way of saying that 'curiosity killed the cat'! Who knew?

Jaycee5 Tue 12-Sep-17 12:06:54

Icyalittle My sister and I thought about as much as my mother's. She used to say 'there's no such word as can't' and we used to say 'no, it's two words'.

Jaycee5 Tue 12-Sep-17 12:07:22

Should be 'of my mother's'.

JackyB Tue 12-Sep-17 12:12:29

"I'll bang your heads together, you two!"

My father also use to say "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" and "A job begun is half done".

This latter I occasionally quote to my mother as she now just sits all day and keeps saying she could tidy her paperwork or take up her tapestry again. We have a little laugh about it.

It certainly is true, starting is always the biggest hurdle.

mischief Tue 12-Sep-17 12:12:38

No matter how bad it gets, there's always someone, somewhere, who is worse off than you.

br0adwater Tue 12-Sep-17 12:15:16

My Mum said, "you can fool everyone but yourself" - wise words.
And my grandmother said, "you are no better than anyone, and no worse". Both sayings made a great impression on me.

Christinefrance Tue 12-Sep-17 12:22:41

" do you want a smack" ooh yes please!
It was dry bread and pullet in our house.
" will you frame " when I was not doing something properly.
" have you got clean knickers on " in case you get knocked down by a bus.

annerogers Tue 12-Sep-17 12:37:20

When I moaned about what I was wearing 'Who's going to stop a galloping horse to look at you'
When I asked what I should wear 'Your heavy georgette' confused
'You look like you've been pulled through a hedge backwards'

Sheilasue Tue 12-Sep-17 12:39:12

Always treat people the way you want to be treated, was my mums saying.