Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you like your mother?

(90 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 12-Sep-17 18:30:14

Or your father? I want to include everyone here. Ladies, woman, men and everyone.
Are any of you like your parent? Do you look in the mirror and see them looking back?

Nannykay Thu 14-Sep-17 22:08:12

I have always been told I have a look of my Mum, I know for certain that as time goes on I'm turning into her. ?

watermeadow Thu 14-Sep-17 18:07:31

When out with littlest granddaughter I get told by complete strangers that she's exactly like me. Apart from being 66 years younger she is very beautiful and I was never pretty. My mother told me that I was like my hated name,"Plain and simple."

callgirl1 Thu 14-Sep-17 16:56:07

Very!

MissAdventure Thu 14-Sep-17 16:30:40

That's a striking resemblence, Hilda! smile

hildajenniJ Thu 14-Sep-17 16:03:11

I am so like my father, both in looks and personality. Everyone who knew my Dad says so, so it must be true. To be honest, when I look in the mirror, there is my Granny looking back!

Lindylo Thu 14-Sep-17 11:10:26

I always thought I took after my father but I was having a phone conversation with a friend and then told by them - ooh you sound just like your Mum. I'd never felt the similarity before and it was a bit of a shock to hear that comment.

Jochilling Thu 14-Sep-17 10:40:54

I'm told I am the image of my late mother sadly she passed away at the age of 62 same age as myself now, I cant see the likeness myself my mother was beautiful and I am not

Franbern Thu 14-Sep-17 08:59:56

My lovely Mum was also a wonderful Nanna. She really, genuinely, thought her g.children were wonderful in everything they did. So, would go to sports comps, and even if they came last, she would cuddle them afterwards saying (and meaning it), 'Well I thought you were the best'. I can not be like her and have always found that I can see the faults both in my children and g.children.
When I look in the mirror these days I do see my Dad, but unfortunately did not inherit his innate musical and artistic abilities. Without a music lesson in his life, he could sit at a piano and play (recognisably) any song he had heard and at the age of mid-70's accompanying he took up painting and produced many lovely pictures, most of which I still have. I, on the other hand, am tone deaf and cannot (as they say) draw a straight line!!

mimiro Wed 13-Sep-17 21:22:27

look just like mom/mellower than her but have her wicked sense of humor
dads love of reading and his hands

CrazyDaisy Wed 13-Sep-17 21:14:30

I definitely look like my Mum but try very hard not to be like her. Don't get me wrong, she was a loving mother and she and Dad provided for us well, even though they weren't at all well off. Mum was very much a cup half empty person and worried about everything. She also could be unfairly critical. I try very hard to be positive and non-judgemental as a result.

Dad was a very kind and thoughtful person who kept Mum in line at times. He also had a delightfully crazy sense of humour. I always hope I'm more like him as a person.

DotMH1901 Wed 13-Sep-17 20:53:14

I have my Dad's dry sense of humour (my Mum didn't have much of a sense of humour at all) and have been told I look a great deal like my Mum and my Grandmothers (my parents were first cousins, my Grandmothers were the eldest and youngest daughters of John Harrison and Elizabeth A Barton) I have a photo of both my Grandmothers and can see the likeness, and definitely with the photo I have of Elizabeth, my Gt Grandmother.

Legs55 Wed 13-Sep-17 19:34:17

I look like my Mum, I have inherited a mix of Mum & Dad' personalities.

My DD looks like me although she hates being told that, she will morph into Granny as she gets older grin

Daddima Wed 13-Sep-17 18:48:53

I look scarily like my mother. Sadly, I have not inherited her beautiful nature. My intolerance and judgementalism are straight from my father!

curlilox Wed 13-Sep-17 18:33:57

Everyone says I look like my mother, but when I look in the mirror I see my Dad looking back!

Coco51 Wed 13-Sep-17 18:12:07

I do see some of my mother's looks. But she was a woman who was terminally discontented with everything, and so wrapped up in herself that she didn't realise my father was dying from an industrial lung disease, until very near his final months. He suffered a back injury at work but, (god knows how he managed) worked at his heavy manual job until he was 67. She would complain 'all he does is sit around when the house needs decorating ' - it was pristine, but not up to her standard, because someone else always had better. I could never forgive her for that, and came to realise that actually I didn't like her.I hope that I never end up like her.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 13-Sep-17 17:19:15

I look more like my father and I hope I have inherited some of both their characteristics. Some years ago we were at a science museum and they had a machine which changed the look of your face to make you look older, younger, or the opposite sex. I set it to show me what I would look like as man, and there was my father! Very weird.

luluaugust Wed 13-Sep-17 16:58:04

I think I look like my dad but whenever I was out with mum on our own people would say I was like her, definitely becoming more like her as I age.

TheMaggiejane1 Wed 13-Sep-17 16:50:08

My parents both thought that children should be seen and not heard and that parenting was about strict discipline. Making children feel loved and valued were not things they understood. I have tried very hard to treat my own children and grandchildren very differently. Hope I've succeeded.

watermeadow Wed 13-Sep-17 15:58:09

It's surprising how we change. One of my daughters was like neither parent but now, in her 40s, looks very like her father. Another was exactly like her father as a child and now has a child exactly like herself.
I'm physically more like my maternal grandmother than like my mother. I try hard to not be like my mother, who was critical, sarcastic, irritable and short-tempered. My sister unfortunately does not try hard enough to not be the same. One of my daughters has the same traits, despite having hardly known her grandmother. Funny how we inherit our personalities along with our appearances.

f77ms Wed 13-Sep-17 15:45:08

I am so like my Mother , more and more as I age . I hear myself saying things that she said , she was my best friend so I don`t mind at all . When I pull my hair back I see my father , which I am not so happy about as I was scared of him - looking back I think he had mental health problems from his experiences in the War . He had shell shock -the things my Grandfather told me about what happened to him are truly shocking . He was in the Dday landings .

CherryHatrick Wed 13-Sep-17 15:30:21

I see my mother's facial features and her iron grey hair with a white streak every time I look in a mirror. My father died when I was 2, but my aunts and uncles told me that I have his easy-going personality, and I have his height and slim build.

Humbertbear Wed 13-Sep-17 14:54:43

I'm absolutely nothing like my mother and very like my father. I even look like him as does my son. My dad taught us about classical music, art, books and giving to charity. I only wish he was still around to pass on his wisdom to his great grand children whom he never met.

Sunlover Wed 13-Sep-17 14:21:59

I would love to think I'm like my mum. She was wonderful mum/ person/ grandmaand I still miss her every day.

W11girl Wed 13-Sep-17 14:19:04

Yes I look like her. I only hope I come across as being as kind as she was. Always put everyone before herself.

Nanny27 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:11:24

She taught us we could go out into the world and be anything we wanted to be. I hope I passed that on to my own children.