Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone for sherry?

(36 Posts)
Synonymous Wed 13-Sep-17 14:12:42

Have decided to embrace the necessity of 'having to sit down' before I can serve and eat my meal so cunningly offered DH a sherry which he thought very civilized. Worked a treat so am now considering a small damson gin with the coffee. This is the life eh! grin

rubysong Sun 17-Sep-17 09:42:14

Sherry is my drug of choice preferred tipple. I have it in a tumbler. There are lots of tiny sherry glasses in the house but I would be forever refilling them.

Synonymous Sat 16-Sep-17 21:32:00

rafichagran if indeed sherry is associated with grannies it can only be because they know more than a thing or two due to a lifetime of experience!
Isn't it great to have such confidence not to feel embarrassed by such trifles as worrying about fashions or what someone else thinks? smile

KatyK Sat 16-Sep-17 18:38:44

I can remember in the 1970s we used to go for an occasional meal at the Berni Inn (prawn cocktail, steak and chips and blackforest gateau was the order of the day). I used to feel very sophisticated ordering a schooner of sherry before the meal.

rafichagran Sat 16-Sep-17 16:11:01

I love it but my son and daughter laugh as they think it Is a very old fashioned drink.
My son would feel embarrassed for me ordering it when we eat out, so I go to the bar and order it myself.
I hate to say it but it is a drink they accociate with Grannies.

sunseeker Sat 16-Sep-17 13:41:03

*Welshwife" Yes they do still do Harvey's Bristol Cream! It's my tipple of choice before Sunday lunch - which is odd because I like fruity, dry wine! (not that I drink that often of course blush)

lemongrove Sat 16-Sep-17 12:58:11

Sherry or port, or any fortified wine is not for me, although I would like it to be.Instant heartburn!

Welshwife Sat 16-Sep-17 12:35:35

Have you tried it with ice ? I quite like it when the weather is hot - unfortunately I cannot drink much as it always makes me sleepy! I prefer the drier versions -but do they still do Harvey's Bristol Cream?

DanniRae Sat 16-Sep-17 08:53:27

I like a sherry now and then - last night was one of those times. Now must put "SHERRY" on my shopping list as finished the bottle. I like Sainsbury's 'medium sweet'! grin

Imperfect27 Fri 15-Sep-17 06:36:28

Something / someone will be paralytic grin.

Strange. Dinner last night went a bit wrong. I asked DH to cook his own speciality of paella with chicken and chorizo. He flavoured it with paprika - choosing the extra strong pot we have instead of the mild. It was far too spicy but it transformed the last glass of the awful wine into something quite lovely!

Synonymous Thu 14-Sep-17 01:38:19

Merlot I seem to have missed a trick there as I didn't think about using the fruit for more than one 'steeping'. I thought I was being quite economical using it in a crumble afterwards but haven't tried 'double dipping', and in a different tipple, but I should think the fruit will be paralytic by the time I get it into the crumble - hopefully!

Synonymous Thu 14-Sep-17 01:21:10

Imperfect I have it on excellent authority that the more you drink the better it is! grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Sep-17 23:54:06

Ah, I love a sherry or two - but only on Christmas morning when I'm tussling with the turkey and trimming the sprouts. My bottles of sherry last an awfully long time!

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 22:43:22

Synonymous ... hmm definitely NOT like a vintage!

merlotgran thanks for the explanation.

NonnaW Wed 13-Sep-17 22:24:15

In a, not Ina.

NonnaW Wed 13-Sep-17 22:23:49

My late DSIL loved her sherry, and always had it Ina wine glass - she said sherry glasses barely held a mouthful!

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 20:31:03

Just a family nickname for a well known dry sherry.

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 19:23:59

merlot I have never heard of Tio Peep - what is that when it is at home (as me muvver used to say grin)

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 19:22:38

phoenix, 'unseemly', but jolly good fun!

Wine still tasted awful this evening (chicken was lovely, thank you DH) and yet, a.n.other glass left in the bottle - like it's never-ending, in a horrible way! I suppose we could cook with it ...

I do like sherry - prefer sweet and Croft Original is very nice indeed - still available as far as I know. We tend to buy a bottle at Christmas and another at Easter and a fair amount always ends up in a trifle so a glass is a rare treat.

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 18:44:16

I must remember to buy a bottle of Aldi's cheap version of Tio Peep tomorrow. I have a tub of plums sitting in the fridge which have spent the last two months steeping in vodka.

Might as well get a bit more out of 'em wink

Daddima Wed 13-Sep-17 18:42:28

My late aunt always gave the Bodach and me a bottle of Croft Original at Christmas. Can you still buy it?

phoenix Wed 13-Sep-17 18:37:14

Mr P and I always have sherry when putting up the C tree, usually Amontillado which of course we refer to as Armadillo.

Croft Particular (as opposed to Croft Original, which is sweet) is a particular favourite, or Harveys Armadillo Amontillado is still acceptable!

Note to self- order new sherry glasses, we currently have ones the size of an eye bath, and the step up to using our wine glasses would be rather unseemly blush

Greyduster Wed 13-Sep-17 17:35:28

I love dry sherry over ice. The perfect drink for a summer evening - when we get a summer!

nanaK54 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:32:01

You can keep the sherry, but damson gin sounds goodsmile

Synonymous Wed 13-Sep-17 17:14:48

We have some wine we brought back from our hols which tasted wonderful there but you have to hsve quite a bit before it tastes anywhere near as good here! So keep trying it Imperfect22 and it may yet turn out to be just like a vintage.
Why is it that all this imbibing has reinvigorated DH but not me? He is beckoning me out to the garden so I suppose I had better totter off or I won't be allowed another shot of anything!

Imperfect27 Wed 13-Sep-17 16:41:05

It could be all about the size of the sherry glass! They do vary - schooners are huge grin.

We have a bottle of plonk red wine on the go - it is testament to how bad it is that it has lasted since Sunday. On Sunday it tasted foul as a chaser to coffee and walnut cake, but I thought to myself that maybe it was the walnuts that clashed. Last night it tasted less like vinegar marginally better as an accompaniment to a pasta dish ... still got a glass or two to go and DH NEVER drinks in the working week so I am dutifully knocking it back helping it go away ... Maybe it will taste just about okay tonight! One thing's for sure - I will be finding out!