Gransnet forums

Chat

What daily rituals do you share with your other half?

(29 Posts)
giulia Thu 28-Sep-17 11:29:30

At (about 11 am and about 6pm), I mix an aperitive, usually a GT, and we stop whatever we are doing and sit and chat for half and hour or so. I KNOW I'm going to be preached at about the evils of alcohol etc., etc.. Don't bother - but it is the pleasure of these modest islands of pleasure which I feel are an important part of the structure of our routine lives now we have "done" 40 years of marriage. We can spend a lot of time without speaking (but comfortably so). We are both distracted by our personal interests and do not feel the social need to discuss the weather in order to fill in the verbal gaps. We do not have many luxuries as we are still paying off a mortgage - another three years to go. So, very little cinema, restaurants and no holidays, except to visit my daughter in England. What little rituals brighten up YOUR day?

kittylester Sat 30-Sep-17 06:55:22

Another thing we do is photocopy the Times Quick crossword and the Quick Cryptic. If we meet up at lunchtime we gave a bit of a competition to see who can finish the Quick one first and then our own Cryptic at various times during the day or while watching TV or listening to music in the evening.

harrigran Fri 29-Sep-17 22:54:42

DH brings glass of water for my tablet and then he brings tea back to bed which we drink while reading the newspaper online.

ginny Fri 29-Sep-17 22:30:07

My DH has only just retired but the one thing we have already decided is that we will not have any rituals. The thought of doing the same thing at a certain time each day does not appeal to me at all.

lilypollen Fri 29-Sep-17 20:10:52

Tea in bed, usually alternate who makes it. Emails and Facebook on smartphones (I swore I wouldn't do this.....) Morning ablutions then coffee and then go about our various activities.

loopyloo Fri 29-Sep-17 18:58:34

DH comes home from work about 8.30, he tells me all the problems from work . I give him his supper, he sits a chair and goes to sleep. The next day, he always says he will get home early from work. Yesterday I sang the hymn" tell me the old old story" I don't think he thought it was very funny.

Teetime Fri 29-Sep-17 14:46:56

We have a green tea with lemon when we wake up and both attack our Kindles in bed for any new e-mails and the news. The after DH has showered we have brekkie in the conservatory if its warm enough in there and sit and chat bout what we are doing for the day and the parlous state of the world generally. We tend then to potter off in two different directions coming together again sometimes for a bit of lunch but more often a cup of tea about 4. The more pottering and a drink before dinner, TV and bed. I go first at 10pm and he follows about 10.45 having watched cricket/football on catch up TV.

lemongrove Fri 29-Sep-17 12:08:02

Breakfast together, watching the birds in the garden ( the birds are in the garden, not us, unless it's a Summer day)?
Only a small breakfast as we don't want much in the morning, but it's a nice little ritual.

Imperfect27 Fri 29-Sep-17 12:03:11

We have 'silent' together ness over morning coffee first thing and have nattery time when he comes in from work at about 4:45 for half an hour or so. We go to bed at the same time and read for 20 mins or so. Friday night is always ' a glass of something' night and a bar of chocolate shared. Simple pleasures - just 'being' together. smile

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-17 11:21:35

Don't worry Smithy there are more of us than you realise xx

giulia Fri 29-Sep-17 11:19:03

TerriBull - you're right about the red wine. One glass a day keeps the doctor away!

TerriBull Thu 28-Sep-17 17:28:56

Coffee in bed, we don't operate on "it's your turn" whoever gets up first. Another coffee in the kitchen an hour or so later. Dinner, which is mainly cooked by me, sometimes with a glass of wine not daily, but should be as it's red, health benefits from one a day I gather grin

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Sep-17 16:52:03

None.

grannyactivist Thu 28-Sep-17 16:43:41

Not a single one. The Wonderful Man leaves for work before I get up and often works away, so no one week is like another really. We usually chat at meal times and sometimes go out for a coffee together, but we have no daily pattern so developing a ritual isn't possible.

overthehill Thu 28-Sep-17 16:29:51

We bought single beds last year as sleeping for me has become a problem. So, not to become distant from one another, I join DH each night in his bed for a cuddle before sleep.

kittylester Thu 28-Sep-17 16:14:51

Two cups of tea in bed - we take it in turns to make the first and the other makes the second. And, always, a couple of drinks in the kitchen, chatting while I cook and then dinner at a properly laid table.

tanith Thu 28-Sep-17 14:57:41

Tea in bed every morning, it used be turn and turn about for who got up to make it but since DH has been ill it's my turn more often but I don't mind a bit.

Smithy Thu 28-Sep-17 14:53:43

Ahh, feeling a little pang of envy that I don't have anyone to share such things with. Even the little so called boring things shared are a little comfort in life. Keep it up.

maryhoffman37 Thu 28-Sep-17 14:24:11

Coffee at 11am. Made from beans with hazelnut, bought from Dreamy Bean.

merlotgran Thu 28-Sep-17 14:07:23

Gin o' clock grin

blossom14 Thu 28-Sep-17 13:14:43

We sit at a properly laid table for breakfast. I am Janet and DH is Dr Finlay, Dr Cameron or Dr Snoddy depending on how he is feeling. Sometimes I even hum the theme tune.smile

glammanana Thu 28-Sep-17 13:12:31

We always stop what ever we are up to about 10-30am and have a welcomed cup of coffee and sit for half an hour catching up on the news on Sky.
We take turns in taking out for her second walk of the day (hubby does the 7am one always) then take the rest of the day as it comes.

CherryHatrick Thu 28-Sep-17 13:08:27

We have a little ritual when we are preparing to leave the house.
Me Have you got your glasses... teeth...fly fastened...shoes not slippers....stick?
Him Have you got your glasses...phone....house keys....car keys...shopping list?

At home, if he is physically able he likes to make the morning cup of tea. He gets very upset and apologetic on days he is not able to, such that I don't make a fuss about the amount that he spills on the worktop when he pours them, and onto the floor from the mugs when he delivers them. I make the 4pm pot.

Day6 Thu 28-Sep-17 13:01:44

I get tea in bed every morning ith our usual silly wake-up greeting.

We are tea not coffee drinkers, but enjoy one cup of coffee every morning at about 11am. I make it because I make it better, apparently. (Think I have been conned or flattered into that!) We stop what we are doing and sit down together and watch a recorded episode of Beech Grove Gardens or Gardeners' World.

Doesn't that sound exciting!! grin However, we enjoy it. Simple pleasures.

Menopaws Thu 28-Sep-17 12:53:05

We work together so schedules are the same but often share a knowing look across a room. Just nice sharing the day

ninathenana Thu 28-Sep-17 12:16:43

Afternoon tea at 4pm or there abouts.
Always made by H and accompanied by whatever treat we have available. Scone, fruit bread, shortbread maybe