Gransnet forums

Chat

Cinema

(28 Posts)
Moneyboss Sun 08-Oct-17 17:59:37

I took my 2 boys to see the new Lego Ninjago Movie yesterday and was just curious as to what films anyone else has been to see lately and what they thought of them.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Mar-18 18:12:21

Our Senior Vue treated us to Suburbicon recently. Not a film I'd heard of, but it's written by the Coen brothers, directed by George Clooney and has an all star cast. It was very dark, but we really enjoyed it. The actor who impressed us most was a 12 year old called Noah Jupe, who also played Jack Will in Wonder and before that was the child who was kidnapped in The Night Manager. He's incredibly talented! DH and I were saying he must come from a famous acting family, and so he does. He's actually from London and his mother is Julie from Corrie (Katy Cavanagh)! smile He's definitely a star in the making.

DiscoGran Sun 04-Mar-18 14:45:42

Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri is really good. Frances McDormand is amazing in it. it's going to win loads of Oscars for sure.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Mar-18 14:23:41

I hated The Greatest Showman I couldn’t wait to get out the cinema I should have read reviews but because I knew the storyline I didn’t, and had no idea it was some psuado Disney like film with beaded ladies etc bursting into (Frozen like) songs at every opportunity

ginny Sun 04-Mar-18 13:26:09

We went to ‘Finding your feet’ last Tuesday. Both enjoyed it.

millymouge Sun 04-Mar-18 13:25:42

Went to see The Darkest Hour. Afraid both DH (who is a great Churchill fan) were rather disappointed. It seemed rather disjointed and just didn't seem to ring true.

Greyduster Sun 04-Mar-18 13:18:51

The last adult film we went to see was Darkest Hour, but during half term we took GS to see Early Man, the latest Ardman animation. I have to say we were all a bit disappointed with it. Though it was very clever and very funny in parts, I think we are all just generally Wallace and
Gromitted out!

kittylester Sun 04-Mar-18 13:06:17

We loved Baby Driver too. It seems ages since we saw it and I spotted that it is on Sky soon.

We saw Paddington2 last and loved it. We also enjoyed Captain Underpants - so much we saw it twice - to be fair with 2 different sets of DGC.

I was slightly disappointed by Dunkirk and also the Greatest Showman. I much preferred Barnum on stage. It confuses me that lots of younger people haven't even heard of Barnum - must be getting old.

Hoping to see Finding Your Feet next week - just so I can irritate DH by saying 'Oh, that's whatsername, she was in whatsitcalled and shes married to that chap who was in thingy!!' grin

goldengirl Sun 04-Mar-18 11:45:47

Saw Finding Your Feet last week. I'd not been to the cinema for ages so it was a pleasant experience. The film was rather predictable but the surroundings were reasonably comfortable.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Mar-18 11:28:31

We've been to the pictures so often since we retired - Senior Vue, under £8 for the two of us, including coffee and cookies. smile So for once we've seen a lot of the films up for awards at tonight's Oscars, and most mentioned above. One of our favourites was Baby Driver, sadly in the running just for minor editing awards. Call Me By My Name was very good, but I found the age difference between the two lovers spoilt it (and made it a bit creepy, if I'm honest). I think Gary Oldman was excellent in Darkest Hour.

KatyK Sun 04-Mar-18 10:45:59

Saw Lady Bird - not keen. We recently watched Goodbye Christopher Robin. It was wonderful. We were trying to get to see Film stars don't die in Liverpool but it was only on our local cinema for one day and we couldn't get there due to the snow.

Hellsbella Sat 03-Mar-18 23:29:26

Haha new to GN, nanabilly, and hadn't seen your comment!

Hellsbella Sat 03-Mar-18 23:27:51

Is Boss Baby suitable for a 4 yr old? She recognised the picture on the DVD and said her best friend thought it was really funny. Her parents have never heard of it but thought it was "a cartoon". It has a U cert. Suitable or not?

Smithy Mon 09-Oct-17 19:30:56

I saw Dunkirk today - it was still on in the afternoons at our local odeon multiplex.
Enjoyed it, took a nice decaff latte in with me

Nanabilly Mon 09-Oct-17 18:28:43

I took my gs to see boss baby in the summer holidays and I think we had seen all of the best bits in the adverts beforehand . Biggest pile of poo I have ever seen and even my gs said it was rubbish.

annodomini Mon 09-Oct-17 17:24:35

I really loved Lion but also enjoyed Victoria and Abdul - Judi Dench playing the ageing queen very convincingly. A nearby bookshop runs a film evening once a month and the film I saw in July was Hidden Figures about the three African-American women whose expertise with computers and maths made a difference to the American space programme. Brilliantly acted and so interesting in opening up a previously 'hidden' period of history.

Tegan2 Mon 09-Oct-17 17:12:27

Plus the fact that I can shuffle into the cinema in 'me scruff' and not have to worry about dressing up!

blossom14 Mon 09-Oct-17 17:09:38

Last week we went to the local cinema to see the live screening from the ROH of La Boheme. I thought it was good value for a £16.50 a pop.
DH was a bit unsure beforehand but agreed with me that it made a great change to experience a different type of 'culture'. The tenors certainly hit the right note in raising my heartbeat a little.
I think it's great that technology has given everyone a chance to see plays and opera at reasonable prices.

Tegan2 Mon 09-Oct-17 15:21:55

Yes; the Lego Movie was good [haven't seen the Batman one]. Humour is very 'South Park'y'.

vampirequeen Mon 09-Oct-17 07:40:30

Last week we took the children to see the Emoji Movie. A much funnier movie than I thought it would be. Actually I quite enjoyed it.

Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:19:43

DH doesn't like the cinema - finds it too noisy and because he is very tall, finds the seats very uncomfortable. I should make active plans to go on my own, but somehow never get round to it. Cinema was central to family entertainment when mine were growing up and DS1 particularly enjoys going regularly.

Last film I saw was Lala Land back in March.

This thread makes me feel I really should plan to go more. We have good local cinema - £5 a ticket, no advance bookings and just one screen in what was an old theatre, but it gets all the current films, just a little later than the big cinemas. There is also a brilliant cinema about 25 miles away - multiscreen and only £2.50.

Yes, I really should go more!

Tegan2 Sun 08-Oct-17 23:28:52

I bought the dvd of ZDT the other week, although I'm not sure I want to watch it again. But it's why I wanted to see Detroit at a cinema....I don't think it has the impact if you watch it at home. It's just unfortunate that, having missed it at our local cinema we had to see it a local village hall type cinema [although the sound etc was fantastic]. With ZDT I was amazed at how tense I felt given that I knew what was going to happen. I said to the S.O. afterwards that it was the nearest I'd ever get to knowing what it was like to be a Navy Seal. I haven't seen The Hurt Locker [which she won an Oscar for]. The only funny thing about Detroit was that, as we were travelling back today I suddenly said 'I've realised who he looks like' [meaning the rogue police officer]. The S.O. said, I know who you're going to say [it's a young lad called Joseph O'Brien who has just started to train horses]. I think the actor is in a film on Film 4 tomorrow night because I recognised him in a clip they've just shown, so I guess I'll have to watch that as well.

Iam64 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:06:40

Tegan, I saw Detroit at the cinema recently and would highly recommend it. I felt ashamed that I hadn't known anything about the events there in 1967. (or was it 68)

I didn't realise Zero Dark Thirty was by the same director. We watched it on tv last night. I found the opening torture scenes so distressing, I did the washing up then some knitting, with the film on as backdrop. Mr iam thought it brilliant.

TerriBull Sun 08-Oct-17 19:59:30

Yes me too Chewbacca I loved Lion my best film of this year.

Chewbacca Sun 08-Oct-17 19:53:16

The last film I saw was Victoria and Abdul which I quite liked but I thought it dragged on a bit. The best film I've seen this year, by far, was Lion.

Tegan2 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:41:44

We went to se Detroit yesterday. Not as good as Zero Dark Thirty [that wasn't my kind of film but I was gripped by it so make a point of seeing other things that the director does]and it didn't help that it was a very long film and we had to sit on village hall type seats.She has a way of making you feel you're actually 'there', which, given the subjects that she tackles, is not necessarily a good thing shock. Hope to see the new Blade Runner although I know I won't understand it and I must be one of the few people on the planet who isn't keen on Ryan Gosling!].