Gransnet forums

Chat

Struggle

(17 Posts)
Teddy111 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:32:08

Life is a bit of a struggle.My husband 69 is in hospital after his third heart attack, having a stent fitted last week.Then suffering another when he came home.He has been in hospital for a week now and is probably going to have an angiogram on Monday 23/10/17.My son has come to stay he is an alcoholic,36.Just going to buy booze and cigarettes.Then visit to hospital.I know I am lucky that I have a car and can drive but feel a bit shaky.

Luckygirl Fri 20-Oct-17 11:44:36

A struggle indeed. I do hope that your OH will be better soon. flowers

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Oct-17 11:45:08

Hi Teddy111. Didn't want to read and run. How difficult and worrying for you. It's only natural that you feel a bit shaky - you've had a big shock. Are there any friends nearby who you could share your worries with? ?

Scribbles Fri 20-Oct-17 11:53:36

You're entitled to feel a bit shaky in the circumstances! Very best wishes to you and to your husband for a good recovery. I hope your son is of some help, despite his own problems? But I trust you're not going to let him smoke around the house when his Dad comes home? That won't do anything to aid recovery. Last year, my OH was admitted to hospital with sepsis when a leg infection got out of control. We were away from home at the time and it was only talking to other people - sometimes complete strangers - which kept me sane at all. Fortunately, OH recovered and I'm so grateful for the care he received but do remember to take care of yourself, too. Your husband will need you fit and well. Big hugs to youflowers.

Greenfinch Fri 20-Oct-17 11:53:36

Sorry to hear about your DH. Hopefully he is in good hands.
Could you go to visit by public transport?

kittylester Fri 20-Oct-17 12:07:57

Or try Community Transport ir AgeUk, or rvs. They can provide transport in certain circumstances at a very reasonable cost.

I am sorry for your situation.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 16:20:05

Hope your DH does well.These things are always a shock,
Sorry to hear your son has a problem with alchohol, but at least you have him with you to talk to at this time.
Can you afford to take taxis to the hospital, or is there a reliable bus? Sometimes driving when upset is difficult.?

Grandma2213 Sat 21-Oct-17 01:32:13

Teddy111 of course you feel shaky. We all would in the circumstances. Good advice already given. Thinking of you and hoping that things get better for you. flowers

Teddy111 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:44:26

A big THANK YOU to everybody who took time to answer,I had kept looking at the watching button and thought I had no replies,it felt quite lonely.Then I pressed the' I'm on' button and you all came up.Also many thanks for the ideas.

Imperfect27 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:54:36

Teddy111 sorry to read of your troubles. I hope your DH is comfortable and that you feel reassured by being able to visit. You are giving out a lot of support with DS too so I hope you can be kind to yourself where possible. flowers

nanaK54 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:57:47

All good wishes from me too flowers

MissAdventure Sat 21-Oct-17 12:07:10

And me, Teddy. Hope things start to look a little brighter for you soon.

Bambam Sat 21-Oct-17 12:47:15

Stay strong Teddy!
Take care of yourself in all this.
"This too shall pass".

Teddy111 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:58:42

Thank you all,very much.xx

Willow500 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:41:26

Such a worrying time for you not only about your husband but also your son. It's only natural you will be feeling shaky about it all - just take care and remind your son that his dad will need a lot of care when he's home so he needs to be mindful of his drinking and smoking while he's there. flowers

mumofmadboys Sat 21-Oct-17 16:47:25

Thinking of you. Hugs

morethan2 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:16:37

I’m not surprised that you feel shaky. Just try to take extra time when driving. When I feel as you do (I often do) I sit in the car for a moment, take a deep breath and centre my mind into drive mode. I hope that makes sense. Perhaps you could just gently remind your son that he needs to step up to the mark because both you and his dad need his kindness now. The last thing you need is confrontation. I hope your husband health improves and that you feel a bit better yourself. Take care.