Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do I do it!?

(27 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 22-Nov-17 19:20:34

Like a lot of GNs I tend to bulk cook and then freeze down into individual portions. Today I left the house in a hurry and forgot to take anything out of the freezer so on the way home I called into the supermarket and bought a "ready meal" (yes yes I know but I don't do it often and I had a busy afternoon and was tired).

When I have bought these in the past I have always been disappointed and tonight was no different. I bought what was supposed to be a braised beef casserole but the only thing stopping it being very bland was the overuse of pepper! A few mouthfuls and it went in the bin - I had a sandwich for my dinner tonight!

Now I know these meals are rubbish but I still bought one - so why do I do it?

Lovetopaint037 Thu 30-Nov-17 08:43:50

Because you are tired and probably hungry! The most dangerous time to be in a supermarket.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Nov-17 17:10:43

My friend always said Aldi chicken curry meals were really good, with much more meat than other brands.

mrsmopp Fri 24-Nov-17 17:08:59

Friend of mine swears by Aldi ready meals. She has been ill so has a freezer full. Anyone recommend an Aldi meal as I wouldn't mind trying one. In an emergency, of course!

chicken Thu 23-Nov-17 08:21:25

Marmite toast with two poached eggs for me when I can't be bothered to cook meat and two veg.

NannyJan53 Thu 23-Nov-17 08:16:44

Good old Jacket Potato and Baked Beans is a good standby for me !

harrigran Thu 23-Nov-17 08:08:19

Waitrose and M&S ready meals are not as good as some of the Aldi meals.

Grannyknot Thu 23-Nov-17 07:36:48

My go-to-meal-in-a-jiffy is usually egg (scrambled or fried) and baby tomatoes, sliced avocado, followed by cheese and biscuits.

If I do buy pre-prepared food, I don't microwave it, it doesn't agree with me. I will always turn on the stove (usually there is that option)...

The new pricey Wait rose ready-meals (I think the brand is Waitrose 1) - we tried the fish pie and it was a lot of potato and not much fish!

Agree M&S is the best.

Alima Thu 23-Nov-17 05:44:33

I do some batch cooking for the freezer though it is easy to forget to defrost stuff in time. We often have ready meal curries, find them very tasty and above all easy to prepare. I know what you mean about gloop mrsmopp, anything gloopy turns my stomach, more often come across stuff like that on restaurant menus. Usually involves chicken in some gloopy sauce. Not nice. Good idea about butchers burgers nina, I will investigate.

Eloethan Thu 23-Nov-17 02:12:11

The triumph of hope over experience.

ninathenana Wed 22-Nov-17 23:41:40

M&S pasta ready meals are the best I've tried.

My emergency meal is oven chips and butchers burgers which can be cooked from frozen

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 23:30:26

ps the trout fillets were out of our freezer, not part of the meal deal.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 23:29:53

I bought a £10 meal from M&S today - but we rarely eat it as one meal. We had the new potatoes with trout fillets (can be cooked even from frozen) and our own frozen green beans. The meat part of the £10 deal has gone into the freezer.

Oh, we ate the pudding too, shame to waste it.

mrsmopp Wed 22-Nov-17 23:07:44

I very rarely buy these because the image on the box bears no resemblance to the gloopy stuff inside. Can't we prosecute them under the Trades Description Act? If I was too tired to cook I would have some fish from the freezer, a few potato wedges and some frozen veg. Not Cordon Bleu I know but decent enough in a emergency.
Or even cheese on toast with an egg on top!

grannyqueenie Wed 22-Nov-17 23:02:02

Yes I agree with you there Bluebelle, even with two of us a Waitrose curry is much cheaper than a takeaway and we all deserve a treat after a busy day.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 22:51:05

I do buy the curries they’re nice well they are for me anyway sometimes I do have a microwaveable meal living on your owning if I ve been busy and a bit tired it’s sometimes just not worth cooking

Luckygirl Wed 22-Nov-17 22:44:32

I often buy ready meals - my OH eats very little and likes different things from me, so it makes sense. M&S are the best without a doubt.

maryeliza54 Wed 22-Nov-17 22:40:21

My ‘go to’ meal when I have forgotten to get something out of the freezer is Regal Fish Luxury fish cakes fried from frozen with boiled potatoes and peas.

Bellanonna Wed 22-Nov-17 22:36:38

I thought that was only me maryeliza. I’m glad I’m not entirely alone.

maryeliza54 Wed 22-Nov-17 22:27:45

You bought it because you don’t have a microwave ( neither do I)

Christinefrance Wed 22-Nov-17 22:05:46

Triumph of hope over experience Oldwoman ?

MissAdventure Wed 22-Nov-17 21:02:57

Too square! Too!

MissAdventure Wed 22-Nov-17 21:01:40

We believe those pictures on the sleeve, of steaming hot chunks of meat. Then open it, find 2 bits of rock hard, pasty white potato, 5 peas, and 4 lumps of something brown and 2 square to be natural.

grannyqueenie Wed 22-Nov-17 20:41:09

vq grin

Grannyknot Wed 22-Nov-17 20:15:55

Because we are seduced by the packaging and sold on the "ease".

vampirequeen Wed 22-Nov-17 19:28:49

Because we live in hope.