Gransnet forums

Chat

xmas guilty pleasures

(48 Posts)
kiernan58 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:00:06

this weekend, my other half will be away with his cronies on a pre-xmas jolly and I am over the moon! grin

I will, in this order:

- go out and get the last of my xmas shopping, enjoying a nice hot chocolate while I'm out.
- come back and go for a walk over the fields
- get in a nice hot bath with essential oils (and maybe a glass of wine balanced on the edge!)
- with dressing gown on and fire lit, I will settle down with something dreadfully indulgent (garlic bread might well be involved) and watch the entire (original) series of Pride & Prejudice!!
- I might also be very bad and open one of the Terry's chocolate oranges that are supposed to be for Christmas day blush

What would you do on such a weekend?

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 13:07:17

Something very similar kiernan tchgrin but substitute the choc orange and garlic bread for Maltesers and Baileys.
Substitute the bath for a hot shower with indulgant toiletries.Substitute P and P for boxed set of Jeeves and Wooster.

kiernan58 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:40:06

oh Baileys!! Right, I might have to make an addition to the programme...

shysal Thu 14-Dec-17 14:23:30

I live on my own so indulge myself quite often. I have already worked my way through the 6 chocolate oranges I bought for the GCs, and I don't even like them! This year I have bought and eaten several mini Pannetones which I toast and spread thickly with butter - yum! I have also started on the giant wedge of Cambozola cheese. blush

Teetime Thu 14-Dec-17 14:48:23

Mine used to be a whole bag of M & S chocolate coated brazils, Dr Zhivago and a good cry. This year I'm spending some time in the beauty spa, hairdressers etc and I have four new dresses!!!

Teetime Thu 14-Dec-17 14:49:25

sorry 5 forgot one! -not going anywhere much either.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Dec-17 14:54:45

Teetime - I watch Dr Zhivago every Christmas too! Last weekend was Z-fest for me grin

newnanny Thu 14-Dec-17 15:05:11

This is first Christmas at home as retired early in July. I do a few jobs in morning then settle to watch 2 or even 3 addictive Christmas movies. A then look busy cooking when family are coming home from work. Sometimes I eat chocolate too.

M0nica Thu 14-Dec-17 15:35:06

Well. I had a day of guilty pleasures yesterday - with DH and DD. As we are retired and DD works from home we no longer get company Christmas lunches. So yesterday we went out for our 'Company Christmas Lunch'. So far so good.

It was what happened once we got back to DD's house. After a cup of tea and various potterings around. We all got ready for bed very early then went into the living room, lit the fire, turned on all the Christmas lights, wrapped ourselves up in throws and spent a long evening watching Christmas DVDs, eating chocolates, Italian cakes DD had brought back from a weekend in Italy and drinking the equally interesting liqueurs she had also accumulated. We did enjoy ourselves

millymouge Thu 14-Dec-17 15:50:10

Mine would be taking the dogs for a walk along the sea front and then a drive home to a nice hot shower. In pyjamas in front if the fire with said dogs and with some smoked salmon, a green salad and some crusty bread, cheese and biscuits to follow. A large glass of something fizzy and cold with it. One of my Dickens DVD's to watch. Though when DH got back he would probably find me asleep after the large glass (or two).

Willow500 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:11:42

Probably much the same as normal - I often think I'd like to have a long soak in the bath but in the end can't be bothered so have a shower instead. I equally think it would be good to watch a film but then end up just watching the soaps by which time it's too late for a film. Always have a glass of wine at night and I'm usually in my pj's by 7.30-8pm anyway so that's no different and other than perhaps being able to please myself about tea I'd be in bed by 10pm as usual. What a boring life I lead grin

Artyfarty Thu 14-Dec-17 16:31:01

Baileys, ginger wine from Aldi (cause it’s so gingery) and you can keep your fancy chocolates because I’m a sucker for Maltesers. Just cram handfuls in, not a pretty site!hmm

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 17:06:00

Chocolates from the chocolate shop near us. Gin and tonic. Hot bath with glass of red.

Stilton and oatcakes with dates and more red

An excellent book

Zzzzzzzzzz

NanaandGrampy Thu 14-Dec-17 17:48:40

well.......

I would pop to the shops and buy 2 cream horns , some nice white bread, butter and chicken and a tub of cheese and onion pringles. I might also buy a nice Mills and Boon !!!!

I would come home, make a stack of chicken sandwiches, retire to bed, prop myself up and read a book I know the end of before I even start it and eat both ( yes BOTH) cream horns and all the sandwiches before snoozing the day away in absolute silence !!

Then Id get up , have a long shower , clean pjs , order a Chinese and watch White Christmas !!

heaven!!!

BBbevan Fri 15-Dec-17 06:39:34

Toasted fruit bread with thick butter, raspberry ruffles, ginger beer and Ben-Hur. ( the one with Charlton Heston) Plus a blazing log fire Ahhh

Greyduster Fri 15-Dec-17 06:52:48

For me it would be a gin and tonic or several, a couple of bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches with lashings of mayo, a whole box of chocolate liqueurs for desert, and “A Bridge Too Far” on the tele, followed by Alan Bennett’s “A Question of Attribution” - both films that I love but DH hates so I rarely get to watch!

Skweek1 Fri 15-Dec-17 10:09:42

I'm not a Christmassy sort of person, but my guilty pleasure is that, since I'm the card-writer and present-wrapper in the family, I put everything together and put on a big pan of mulled wine. When I pour it into my Christkindlmarkt mug, I put on Radio 3 and have a happy afternoon getting things done. If we had a bath I'd almost certainly start by having a luxurious bubbly soak beforehand and getting into my jimjams and comfy slipper boots.

lemongrove Fri 15-Dec-17 10:09:56

I feel a bit queasy now after reading all this.

MinniesMum Fri 15-Dec-17 10:36:25

Has anyone else got the Christmas Elf on their shoulder yet? The one who whispers in your ear "have you bought enough X ..... will there be enough Y to go round ...... what if someone asks for Z and you haven't got any (oh the shame). Next step is buying up half the supermarket much of which will still be in the larder in January.

annerogers Fri 15-Dec-17 10:41:27

Oh yes, oh yes MinniesMum know that feeling so well

etheltbags1 Fri 15-Dec-17 10:44:45

The previous messages all appeal to me apart from the alcohol. I would have sausage rolls for breakfast. Stay in my jamas all day. Eat mince pies and chocolate of any kind . A good book or would watch the current re runs of londons burning would be my entertainment. A cuddle under the throw with my cats would be great.

grandMattie Fri 15-Dec-17 10:49:19

If I were on my own? I would make myself a cup of coffee and read in bed in the morning - DH hate me reading in bed when I wake up.
Nice walk, potter round the shops and end up in the local coffee shop for a cuppa tea.
Food? not that interested [though if you saw my size you would be surprised!] - something with beef; a steak perhaps. Certainly rice would be involved.
If I could find my favourite film, I would watch it. There are three - A Lion in Winter; On Golden Pond and finally "Priest", i think it is the 1983 version with Linus Roach in it.
I think I would prefer a gripping book [no murders involved] and a fire...

grandMattie Fri 15-Dec-17 10:51:31

Sorry - 1995 film

inishowen Fri 15-Dec-17 11:40:54

I would read before getting out bed too grandMattie. Then get up and watch some tv that I've taped because hubby doesn't like my type of programmes. I watch lots of antique type programmes and house makeover things. I'd spend an hour or two looking at my computer. Then go out and browse the charity shops. Come home and knit for the afternoon. I'd have a fry up for dinner. Then watch all the soaps - ah bliss ...

jamtart27 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:39:54

My dh is away day after boxing day, returning Nye, I plan to take the decorations down and have a big clean perhaps I should change the plan to include some indulgence ?