Gransnet forums

Chat

whats your first memory

(119 Posts)
paddyann Sat 20-Jan-18 00:36:09

My sister says she can remember being in her pram and left outside a shop ,probably she would have been under a year old .I remember being smacked when I was two ..well it was the only time I was smacked so it had to be that time .Whats your earliest memory ?

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jan-18 13:24:22

And from Mandy to Jackie? smile

mollie Sat 20-Jan-18 13:24:55

I remember Twinkle too. And having a fever and being delirious and seeing Bruce Forsyth (he did the Saturday/Sunday Night at the Palladium then) tap dancing around my bedroom. I never liked Brucie after that...

paddyann Sat 20-Jan-18 13:28:27

I started school after christmas on a very snowy day and I wore a red siren suit made for a 2 year old ..I was 3 months away from my 5th birthday .The teacher thought my sister who was 2 years younger was the one starting school as she was taller than I was .Haven't heard anyone mention "siren suits" for years

Beau Sat 20-Jan-18 13:37:35

After reading these posts I will have to believe my daughter when she says she can remember being in her cot and playing with the plastic balls embedded in the bars ? I can't remember anything earlier than my sister being born when I was about 6 years old because I got told off by the midwife for filling the castor oil bottle up with water - she had told me to 'run it under the tap'. I remember many things from that year of being 6 but nothing earlier, I certainly don't remember my brother being born when I was two and a half.

NfkDumpling Sat 20-Jan-18 13:55:08

I remember running down steps with my parents with mum scolding dad for being late as usual. We were rushing to see a parade going through Norwich on the day of the Queens Coronation. I was passed forward and stood in front of a policeman so I could see. I thought the lady in the carriage really was the Queen. I’d have been five.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 20-Jan-18 14:03:42

MissA yep! grin

I wasn't sure what a siren suit was, so I just Googled it. I thought the siren bit was talking about 'alluring' women, not air raid sirens! grin

TerriBull Sat 20-Jan-18 15:41:02

This is an interesting thread because sometimes I rack my brain to think of very early memories, trying to put them into the context of a timeline and wonder why some, quite uneventful memories resonate and most are forgotten. I can remember being in one of those old fashioned prams with a false bottom where we kept our toys, playing in the back garden with a big, cumbersome trike. I remember going on a family holiday to the Isle of Wight when I was three and our parents took us up on the ferry deck to show us the land we were leaving and the island we were approaching. Watching Bill and Ben on "Watch with Mother" aptly named because our mother sat and watched it with us. That would have been soon after we got our first TV. I also remember watching Mr Pastry, Billy Bunter and Circus Boy. I definitely remember hearing the name of President Eisenhower on the news, being terrified of Teddy Boys for some reason or other, starting school at 4 and three quarters, doing a lot of painting and musical movements peformed in our underwear when we would have a ten minute interlude for a lie on the floor with our eyes closed. I remember soon after I started school we had to go up to our teacher's desk, one by one, to see if we knew any words in the first class reading book and crying because I only knew one, but in a matter of weeks I was reading properly. I also remember writing the date 1960 in an excerise book soon after I'd started in the infants.

cavewoman Sat 20-Jan-18 16:30:25

Lots of hazy memories,first day at school etc.
My clearest recollection is of sneaking downstairs just in time to see Sandie Shaw winning the Eurovision Song Contest with Puppet on a String. (Actually, now I've just remembered seeing Cliff singing Congratulations)

Elrel Sat 20-Jan-18 17:02:45

I remember being in a hotel bedroom in Shropshire and giving my precious china babydoll a bath in the washbasin. Her legs and arms came off and I was very disappointed. I still wonder what happened!
The first book I remember was called Mary Mouse, a cartoon story which was small but wide, like a cheque book.

Elrel Sat 20-Jan-18 17:13:38

Paddyann - I don't remember my siren suit but was told I had one. They were supposed to have been a garment invented by Winston Churchill so he could be comfortable but ready for action at night during the war. They were worn at night so that people would be warm if they had to go outside to their air raid shelter.
I do remember have a warm matching set, coat, bonnet and leggings. The leggings weren't trousers or tights but as I recall were 2 separate legcovers which buttoned up. I don't think little girls wore trousers then and small boys wore shorts and knee socks for another 20 years!

Azie09 Sat 20-Jan-18 17:19:08

I remember being in my cot. It was in the living room for some reason, perhaps I was ill or it was very cold in the house. My mother had hung newspaper along the cot so I couldn't see out into the room and I remember hearing them talking and being annoyed that I couldn't see!

rockgran Sat 20-Jan-18 17:31:18

We had a flood in the cellar when I was about two - I remember standing on the steps looking at it - and mum was cooking peas.

Telly Sat 20-Jan-18 18:11:14

Moving from my grandmas house and my parents headboard was leaning against the fence. I would have been 2.

hildajenniJ Sat 20-Jan-18 18:35:25

My first proper memory is of standing on tiptoe to reach into the pram. I tickled my baby sister who was chuckling. It was summer 1955 and I was three years old.

NanTheWiser Sat 20-Jan-18 18:48:22

I can distinctly remember being in a cot in my parents' bedroom, so probably about 18 months old. I woke up one night and called for mum, but no answer - they had gone to the pictures on a rare night out, and my aunt (who lived upstairs with my uncle) came and took me upstairs where they laid me on their bed until my parents came home.
I'm also quite convinced I can remember being a babe-in-arms carried by my father on an old-fashioned London tram after a visit to my grandparents who lived in Norbury near Croydon.

Nanny123 Sun 21-Jan-18 09:14:00

I can actually remember being in my pram sitting on my aunties balcony remember the hood was up at the time - I was around 9 months old (yes we still sat in prams at that age!!) I can still remember it so vividally

mischief Sun 21-Jan-18 09:17:49

My first memory must have been when I was very young. I was trying to run away from a cat that was playing with my heels. I ran indoors crying, pushed the door shut and tried to reach the chain on the door and couldn't. I remember my mother running down the stairs presumably to see what all the noise was about.

harrigran Sun 21-Jan-18 09:36:02

cavewoman you are just a nipper, when Sandie Shaw won the Eurovision song contest I was in hospital having just had my first baby grin

lesley4357 Sun 21-Jan-18 09:40:25

Sitting in a child seat on the back of my mum's bike, being bounced around as she peddled over frozen playing field - aged about 2.

LouLou21 Sun 21-Jan-18 09:41:42

I remember being taken on a bus to Trafalgar Square by my mum who took a seaside bucket every time we went on a bus because I was always sick on a bus. Then when We got there my mum bought some food in a paper bag for the pidgeons and we held our arms out with food in our hands and pidgeons landed all over us on our arms shoulders heads, really quite frightening, I was three.

inishowen Sun 21-Jan-18 09:54:30

I remember being in my big black pram with the hood up. I could see mum's hands on the handle and two leather buckles which held a shopping basket. I was grumpy and mum went into a shop and came out with a packet of biscuits. She opened them and gave me one. I also remember being in my cot which was painted blue. I was rocking it from side to side, trying to tip it over so I could get out.

TellNo1Ok Sun 21-Jan-18 10:03:56

A memory I can date is going home after a stay with grandma walking round to the back door and the garden was full of washing ....going in looking for mum....told she was upstairs with a present
Mum in bed with a Moses basket and my new sister in it
I touched her and she held on tight to my finger and I was in love.
I was 3.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 21-Jan-18 10:11:04

A thunderstorm and my father holding me in front of the window .I don't recall whether I was frightened or fascinated.
I am inclined to think I must have been frightened as storms, still/do scare me.

Saggi Sun 21-Jan-18 10:18:50

My earliest memory is standing up in my cot (or else prison) cos I was certainly behind bars of some sort ...and watching my mum come through the door to lift me .... with the prerequisite ciggie in her hand!!! I would've been about 2 and must've been napping cos I was in a dress and it was light out.Next memory is running with my brother (year older) down to the bus stop to meet mum from work ... bearing in Ming we had to cross two roads to do it... but ,ess traffic then and nobody bothered us over it...so we did it every day til bro went to school. Oh and I remember his first day of school as he came home at lunch time and announced loudly to me and my gran " been to s hook ... don't like it...not going again" he was ver miffed to be told he would be going back for the next 10 years. ?

Marion58 Sun 21-Jan-18 10:20:00

I have lots of memories all before the age of 4 years. Funnily enough, none particularly happy ones! I know I couldn't have been any older as they were all at a particular house we lived in and we moved from there well before I was 5.

I vividly remember being in my cot and I had been sick and tried not to move. I loved Cod Liver Oil and they put it down to having too much.