Gransnet forums

Chat

How expensive will be making a website?

(9 Posts)
Xymox Thu 01-Feb-18 22:22:51

Maybe anyone has an experience with them? I just want to create my own site devoted to cool fashion tips for older generation, suppose that it will become my new favourite hobby. But I don't know much about making them, how difficult is it and how much money I need for this?
Would be grateful for responses!

Marydoll Thu 01-Feb-18 23:55:09

WordPress is free. We used it across our local authoritiy for all our school websites. Easy to use.

Marydoll Thu 01-Feb-18 23:55:23

Authority!

Jane10 Fri 02-Feb-18 07:45:34

I was going to say Wordpress too. I find it clunky to use but suspect that might be because WordPress is always trying to make me upgrade to a more expensive version.

Mania Tue 06-Feb-18 17:29:07

It really depends on a certain type of site. Making a new cool and unique one from scratch is really expensive and will take months or even longer but for your purposes that's not really a right choice smile
Why not use free or cheap platforms for such web building and hosting? There are so many of them now, also with good tutorials for every type so it's not a problem to work with them even for a complete beginner. From my own experience I can recommend Weebly (non-free one, costs $12 for month) and WordPress (it's free but demands adverstising for such version). They're the best among various types I've ever tried. WordPress is a very good choice for the start, it has simple interface even for newbies and in my case it didn't take much time to get adjusted to it.
Then your main things will be content and design, in case of the last one web builders usually advise web templates as an alternative to expensive handmade design www.atilus.com/benefits-using-web-design-templates/ . In case of them you can just choose ready site skeletons with design you like and then easy modify them like you need. There are so many of them in net now, both for free and non-free types, and for example fashion wordpress themes www.templatemonster.com/category/fashion-wordpress-themes/ are one of the most popular. Of course they're not very unique in case of design but for free non-commercial site projects it's usually the best decision confused
Oh, you'll also need to register your domain name and maybe make some advertising for attraction of new users to your site.
Good luck with this project, I'm really curious to see how it'll look because your idea is brilliant in my opinion! sunshine

Nanabilly Tue 06-Feb-18 18:41:57

Why not just start a blog and see how it goes If it gets plenty of visitors you could even make money through sponsorship of advertising and even get samples forwarded on to you .
Just Google free blogs and follow instructions .it's easy enough to do .
I knew loads of people who did this with their scrapbooking and ended up earning plenty from it.

sktthemes Fri 30-Mar-18 08:39:15

Try WordPress is the best CMS now-a-day's. Here is the predesign WordPress themes for website. If you are making fashion related website. Choose best Fashion templates for your website. There are 60% peoples used WordPress. It is easy to used and handle. free WordPress themes also available on WordPress. For Downloading free WordPress themes visit www.sktthemes.net/product-category/free-wordpress-themes/

janeainsworth Fri 30-Mar-18 08:49:39

I suspect the post immediately before mine is an advert, but I would recommend Wordpress too.
I did have to upgrade to the paid-for version when my blog got too long/had too many images but that took quite a while and it’s reasonably easy to use.

riteshpatil Fri 09-Oct-20 08:02:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.