Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy Valentine's Day

(112 Posts)
HelpfulHands Wed 14-Feb-18 08:26:00

Hi Everyone,

Do you (still) send your kids/grandkids Valentine's cards?

Ramblingrose22 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:52:02

I am amazed that anyone would send a Valentine card to their own child or GC.

As others have said, they're intended for those already in a romantic relationship or those one would like to have as a boy/girlfriend. It seems totally inappropriate (repugnant even) to me to send one to one's child or GCs.

No wonder mollie had trouble finding one that was appropriate!

schnackie Wed 14-Feb-18 10:56:54

Yes, it is very American - and that's where my grandchildren are!! It hasn't even occurred to me to send them anything. Maybe I can get a rush delivery of something on Amazon!! Thanks for the reminder!

AcornFairy Wed 14-Feb-18 10:57:31

I'm amazed! Never have, never even thought about it. Didn't realise some people did. Perhaps I live in a parallel universe. My husband and I don't send each other Valentine cards or gifts either: just plenty of LOVE. We have better things to do with our money.

DanniRae Wed 14-Feb-18 11:22:35

Oh henetha do tell us more!! grin

Amma54 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:26:16

No! Never would. It's supposed to be about 'romantic love' aka sexual, so totally inappropriate.

scrabble Wed 14-Feb-18 11:31:28

Good gracious, definitely NO

NonnaW Wed 14-Feb-18 11:32:58

I always send DS2 a card on Valentines Day, but that’s because it is his birthday!

amt101 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:38:22

How odd to even think I would

Stella14 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:58:01

I have always understood Valentines gifts, cards etc, to be a gesture to ‘my’ Valentine or would be Valentine. Now it seems to be a thing to send them to all and sundry! Last year, when I was shopping for a card for my Valentine (husband), there were some chocolate hearts beside the till. The women in front of me bought three. I joked to the Assistant that she had several Valentines! She replied with a roll of the eyes, “I had one the other day who bought eight. She said they were for her sisters and her neighbours”! I think it’s enough that the price of flowers increases four fold without people making mugs if themselves. Buy people gifts sometimes of course, but can’t Valentines Day just be left for Valentines?

Marydoll Wed 14-Feb-18 12:07:00

This thread certainly shows that we all have different perceptions of sending Valentine's cards.
It's a family joke in our house and one year when he forgot, DD actually asked him where her card was.
My husband (and I) are horrified that him sending a card to my DD for the last 30 years has been deemed inappropriate by some posters. There is nothing sleazy about it. He is one of the most honourable men I've ever met.
However, as it is a forum, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that, but it has upset me a little bit that a bit of innocent fun has been misconstrued as some sordid.

inishowen Wed 14-Feb-18 12:23:37

No, I think of Valentines Day as a couple thing, not a family thing. When I was a teenager I used to receive two cards written by my mum, although she denied it!

hicaz46 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:27:59

I'm with Maryhoffman37 - very weird. What next - 'to my darling cat on Valentine's Day' The only people who benefit are the card retailers.

Sheilasue Wed 14-Feb-18 12:28:40

Always send one to gd from our cat Oscar xx

grannyinmypocket Wed 14-Feb-18 12:30:36

I gave my Grandsons a tube of Love Hearts each,

Hellsgrandad Wed 14-Feb-18 12:30:50

As a father and grandfather I think the whole idea of sending valentines cards to ones children or grandchildren is totally creepy

Marydoll Wed 14-Feb-18 12:44:54

It just goes to show what innocents our family members are. It never crossed my mind that there was something untoward or inappropriate about the whole thing. sad.
There is nothing romantic or sexual about our motives and I'm glad I don't have that mindset.

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:51:48

henetha hope its made your day
Never too to old for a bit if romance?

Decide a few years ago to reuse previous years cards for everything except birthdays.

A friend has a large xmas card from the Seventies, her DH writes a little message on it every year.
I wish we hard started the same tradition when we were first married, it would be lovely to look back on and so much better than throwing away the card after the event.?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:55:12

The only valentine's card I ever received was from my very first boy-friend when I was 15 and he was 16. We broke up before we moved past the hand-holding stage, which we both knew was going to last for a very long time if we weren't to get into very hot water with his widowed mother and my parents, the year being 1966!

I think I sent him one too, but have never even thought about sending one since.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:58:50

Marydoll - you shouldn't assume that anyone has a particular mindset by pointing out what the actual tradition is! It's simply down to general knowledge about the purpose of St Valentine's Day.

Here's an extract from Wikipedia:

"Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine,[1] is celebrated annually on February 14.
Originating as a Western Christian feast day honoring one or two early saints named Valentinus, Valentine's Day is recognized as a significant cultural, religious, and commercial celebration of romance and romantic love in many regions around the world, although it is not a public holiday in any country."

Obviously you are entitled to send anyone you like any cards you like and if you don't mind lining the pockets of card manufacturers that's up to you.

Crazygrandma2 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:01:08

Agree with maryhoffman37. Seems a strange idea to me, but each to their own.

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:03:38

Marydoll agree
When my children were young I would put love hearts and heart shaped chocolates in their lunch boxes (also in DHs of course)

V/day morning I made toast with a large imprinted heart using a plastic gadget from I think Lakeland.
Must look it outsmile

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:08:19

I only sent a Valentine card to a DC if I thought they may not get one from anyone else and that was when they were older anyway.

Otherwise I find it a bit odd.

mollie Wed 14-Feb-18 13:30:05

Have to say that the card I sent to my six year old GD last year was the first and only card I have ever sent to anyone other than someone I was romantically involved with. And I must have found one that was appropriate or I wouldn’t have sent it. I thought it would make her laugh and her parents didn’t complain so they must have taken it in the spirit it was sent.

Someone did send me one, out of the blue and of course unsigned, when I was a newly divorced single mum. it completely freaked me out as I had no clue who had sent it and it felt really weird. It was a well-meaning friend of my mum who thought it would cheer me up. It didn’t but I appreciate her intent.

Kittycat Wed 14-Feb-18 13:30:20

Yes we can tell our nearest and dearest we love them at any time, but do we?
I think the original idea of Valentine's Day is long gone, it's just nice to have a special day to tell your special people you love them.x

Kittycat Wed 14-Feb-18 13:33:39

And it doesn't have to be a valentines card you give or send, a blank flowery one or with their favourite animal and wishing them a nice day is fine. Its nice to know someone is thinking about you.