Gransnet forums

Chat

Following on from the ‘ comfort food’ discussion

(52 Posts)
Daddima Thu 15-Feb-18 14:27:03

My granny used to give me tinned hamburgers ( mibbe Goblin or Westler’s?) with tinned marrowfat peas and mashed potatoes for lunch. I’ve looked for these in Sainsbury’s and Co-op, to no avail.
Has anybody seen them anywhere?

TerriT Thu 15-Feb-18 21:24:28

Remember when angel delight came out. I used to make it for tea. Butterscotch was best. Jam Swiss roll or packet of jam tarts. Some times a tin of mixed peaches and pears etc covered in tinned evaporated milk. Oh yes and the other delight of the time was paste sandwiches. My friends mother used to cut the crusts off and cut them into triangles and put the plate of them on the table. To me that was the sign of such a posh lifestyle and I so wanted my family to be like that! No chance!!

M0nica Thu 15-Feb-18 23:11:03

We always keep a Fray Bentos pie in our holiday home in France. I like to keep a store of ready meals in for an emergency and as we always turn the electricity off when we come home it has to be in tin or long term package.

When DC were small they were a self catering holiday treat.

Daddima Fri 16-Feb-18 17:05:56

Remember Instant Whip? My wee auntie called it Whip it Quick.

Still no burgers. Made the Bodach go to Tesco, but no luck. Still, I’m for Morrison’s tomorrow ( they have an excellent fish counter). How do I just know they will be disgusting?

Daddima Fri 16-Feb-18 17:10:13

Oh, and re Vesta, my first taste of curry was a Vesta one in the sixties.
I was also fond of the Vesta Beef Risotto, served with bread and Lurpak!

BBbevan Sat 17-Feb-18 06:11:08

My mother often made a 'curry' , on a Monday, using left over meat from the Sunday joint. Our first ever experience of foreign food ! She used curry powder and always added Apple and sultanas She also made another foreign dish Chicken Marengo. . She thought it very special.

grannyqueenie Sat 17-Feb-18 08:00:59

Oh my word the memories here, my poor children experienced some of these back in the day! Another treat was a Heinz syrup sponge pudding, heated to perfection in boiling water. I seem to remember that opening the tin was tricky though!

Greyduster Sat 17-Feb-18 08:43:57

I remember that too, Gq! Much faffing around with tea towels wrapped around the tin to avoid getting scalded, but they were lovely!

Daisymay1 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:49:18

Chow mein was my favourite and I used to give my children fray bentos crispy pancakes !!

Daisymay1 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:50:03

Oh think it was probably findus crispy pancake

Anniebach Sun 18-Feb-18 09:23:59

I want all mentioned, think this thread has explained to me why I have this eating disorder

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Feb-18 11:18:56

My mother used to make curry with left over meat, sultanas and curry powder in the left over gravy. It was very good.
We never had such exotic food as spaghetti bolognaise though, spaghetti came in orange sauce in tins, served on toast.

tanith Sun 18-Feb-18 11:33:57

Vesta Paella with those tiny prawns was my favourite one, OH buys Spam he loves the stuff , he also loves Fray Bentos steam steak puddings. I have to admit even now I occasionally have a fancy for Sardine and Tomato paste on a well buttered slice of bread not a sandwich just a slice.

Daddima Sun 18-Feb-18 13:53:31

Hurrah! Westler’s burgers from Home Bargains, Goblin from Morrison’s. As an added bonus, Morrison’s had Cyprus potatoes, splendid for chipping.

I am easy pleased, right enough.

gulligranny Sun 18-Feb-18 19:40:46

Oh - Ye Olde Oak ham with it's jelly! Loved it ... and mention of Vesta Paella brought back memories of thinking it was so exotic ....

Auntieflo Tue 20-Feb-18 08:29:33

Oh Tanith, Sardine and Tomato paste, so good. Can you still get it?

jusnoneed Thu 22-Feb-18 10:56:14

Just bought a tin from Morrisons lol. Told my OH about the hunt for them, so we looked and he said let's try them as we could both remember having them as kids.
Have you tried yours yet Daddima?

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Feb-18 11:05:42

Oh, yes, I remember being served vesta chow mien at lunch time on occasion. Other times, savoury pancakes, that were folded over. ( I can't remember the brand name though). I liked them at the time, not sure if I would now!

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Feb-18 11:06:55

Mein not mien!

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Feb-18 11:10:06

Yes, that's it, Findus crispy pancakes - that will teach me to read the threads more diligently!

Daddima Thu 22-Feb-18 11:17:24

jusnoneed, I’ve had the Goblin ones. They were awful, absolutely tasteless! I added Henderson’s Relish ( brought to me by my wee brother in Manchestoh) and loads of salt & pepper to the second two, and they were marginally better.

Westler’s over the weekend, so we’ll see how they do!

jusnoneed Thu 22-Feb-18 12:00:06

Oh dear, that's the ones we bought! Oh well forewarned lol.

Daddima Thu 22-Feb-18 16:37:50

Just have the takeaway menu handy!

No, they weren’t inedible, just not how I remembered them. And I think the ones we used to get were more round than flat.

MissAdventure Thu 22-Feb-18 16:45:24

I've never had a Vesta meal. Is it worth me trying one? Crispy noodles sound lovely!

Daddima Thu 22-Feb-18 16:58:58

The crispy noodles on the Vesta Chow Mein were lovely, and I think the soft noodles were full of MSG and other stuff!
I think Home Bargains ( and anywhere, only sell Chow Mein and paella)

How I’d love a Beef Risotto!

farview Thu 22-Feb-18 17:13:06

Gosh lot of Vesta fans haha?that was before I became vegetarian..and yes the crispy noodles on the top were yummy!!??