Gransnet forums

Chat

Which room first?

(56 Posts)
kittylester Fri 23-Feb-18 07:45:22

Prompted by the thread about the current state of your kitchen, which room do you make for first when you get home? Which room do you take visitors to?

In our house, it's the kitchen as it is south facing and always warm and I love being in there. Plus the kettle (and the wine) is in there!

lilypollen Tue 27-Feb-18 22:21:52

Kitchen. After shopping for a cup of tea. If I'm home later DH offers me a glass of wine!

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:27:57

I'd like to buy orange and lemon trees smile
However, I'm always worried about having plants on the floor because watering, even with 'saucers' could spill over and damage the wooden floor and underfloor heating.

ReadyMeals Sun 25-Feb-18 12:25:05

I think orangeries have to be capable of growing orange trees. So they probably have to be reasonably tall and temperature controlled. The old fashioned normal conservatory was just single-pane glass and no heating (not much use in mid winter) Nowadays I expect most modern conservatories could be orangeries if they were the right size

lesley4357 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:48:33

Anyone tell me the difference between an 'orangery' and a conservatory? Or is it just boasting?

Legs55 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:22:23

Usually loo first, my wet room is the first room I come to after coming through the front door, collect shopping into the kitchen (too small to swing a cat), unload anything for fridge/freezer, kettle on.

Through to lounge/diner, switch on tv, switch on laptop, coat off, back to kitchen & make a cafe, back to sit at dinning table, check emails. If I've got visitors they go straight through to the lounge, choice of comfy sofa or hard chair

Florence64 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:13:14

Living room as the kitchen is far too small and the living room is large and bright

Nanna58 Sat 24-Feb-18 18:47:25

I go straight to open the French doors shouting "wee wees! Wee wees!" at the dogs so we don't have any accidents after they've been left indoors- it must give the neighbours a laugh! ?

knitnut Sat 24-Feb-18 17:48:01

The bathroom. The cold always makes me need to go.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 24-Feb-18 17:16:06

Straight into the sitting room to sit by the log burner. Shopping is usually dropped off in the hallway until either OH sorts or I can pluck up the energy to do.

MaggieMay60 Sat 24-Feb-18 15:12:44

I come into the kitchen, take off my outdoors shoes, switch the kettle on and the down to my bedroom to take off my coat and put shoes away, then finish off in my lovely sunny lounge with my cuppa. I have room to sit in my kitchen as it is long and thin, seventeen foot by 10 foot, but I prefer the lounge as it is always sunny being lit by 2 very large windows, sadly no view and no conservatory!

Sheilasue Sat 24-Feb-18 15:00:14

First port of call is the loo.

Aepgirl Sat 24-Feb-18 14:12:42

I was just going to say that, Kittye. It's always the first place I head for when I get home.

Synonymous Sat 24-Feb-18 12:41:53

Loo, kettle then sitting room with brew as do our closest friends. smile

GabriellaG Sat 24-Feb-18 12:34:01

ReadyMeals

Haha...I wish. I'm a 73 yr old mum of 5 with 9 GC and 3 GGC.
I like being the age I am but I'd willingly do all the young mum part all over again.

GabriellaG Sat 24-Feb-18 12:26:24

Grannyknot
???

JaneD3 Sat 24-Feb-18 11:55:02

That would be me, Maggiemaybe ?

sarahellenwhitney Sat 24-Feb-18 11:05:21

Maggiemaybe It has to be me and my first port of call would be the downstairs loo.I could never get upstairs to bathroom quick enough, and fortunately is just inside the rear entrance to my house where, being too lazy to put it in the garage, I park my car.

Saggi Sat 24-Feb-18 10:51:35

Kitchen too small to swing a cat.... So mostly gets ignored. Also it reminds me of the thing I hate most doing.....cooking!! Arrrgh!! So straight to my room ( bedroom) no dressing table for me but stacks and stacks of books! Dive in! I read ( now retired) at least three hours a day and the bedroom is where I do it. Tv permanently on sports channels.... can't stand much programming anyway... so cuppa and a book! Or the snug which has a swishy sofa and a good reading light... downside us I can still SEE the kitchen from there and it keeps reminding ding me that there will be no dinner or lunch unless I cook it!! A useless hubby see!

pollyperkins Sat 24-Feb-18 10:41:30

To put kettle on in kitchen then put my feet up in the living room. Definitely not the bedroom which is usually freezing cold as DH refuses to have radiators on upstairs and usually has windows open! Also take visitors to living room though there are some close friends who follow us into the kirchen when makin g coffee/tea and plonk themselves at the table. I'm always aware of (clean) washig up on draining board and crumbs on the floor if Ive not swept it recently so prefer to take them into the sunny living room which is usually pretty tidy.

ReadyMeals Sat 24-Feb-18 10:38:44

GabriellaG are you actually in the grandma age group or are you an "imposter"? I thought it was young mums who lived half the day in their PJs or lounge suits? :D

GabriellaG Sat 24-Feb-18 10:36:58

Kitchen >> switch on kettle >> utility to hang up coat/leave shoes >> bedroom to change into leggings n cami (yes, even in winter I prefer to keep cool)
If it's late afternoon when I get home then pjs, which are usually cami + cotton bottoms with stretchy cuffs a bit like narrow harem pants.
The kitchen is the hub, faces East and sitting-room faces West so I move with the sun.

Chewbacca Sat 24-Feb-18 10:35:47

My first stop is to run upstairs to the bathroom! Then the kitchen to put the kettle on!

ReadyMeals Sat 24-Feb-18 10:33:19

We have a 3-up 3-down semi (typical victorian street) and you have to go through the back reception to get to the kitchen. I have a couple of easy chairs in there as well as the table and chairs, and that's where I take everyone in spite of having a nice sitting room at the front :D

Kim19 Sat 24-Feb-18 10:09:15

I hover in the hall and deposit any clutter I've brought in with me at the appropriate door or foot of the stairs. Outer garments off in the cloakroom and usually end up in the kitchen for the irresistible and all too regular coffee. Always lovely to be home. Long trip, short trip, whatever.......

annodomini Sat 24-Feb-18 09:30:19

I park near the back door, so come straight into the kitchen and fill the kettle. It's an end terrace so the only front entrance is directly into the sitting room. Most guests come in that way, unless they are very good friends in which case they are allowed into the back room which is my nesting place!