Gransnet forums

Chat

If you were in charge, what would be the three things you would do?

(88 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 27-Feb-18 19:12:08

Following on from my furious comments about religious schools and my wish that they would be abolished, I thought perhaps we could all detail things we would do/laws we would make/outlaw if we were to be in charge. Needn't be 3 things, but no more please. My first would be, predictably, abolition of faith schools and all schools which only accept pupils of a certain religion. My other two will need narrowing down from a multitude grin. What would be your choices? Can be serious or not.

Hm999 Fri 02-Mar-18 21:57:21

For those with concerns about faith schools, here is an interesting article

www.theguardian.com/education/2018/mar/02/why-are-some-people-worried-about-faith-schools?CMP=Share

maryeliza54 Thu 01-Mar-18 16:48:34

1. All MPs with school age children to send them to state schools
2. All MPs and their immediate families to only use NHS
3. All parliamentary candidates to have lived and worked for 5 years in the constituency they are standing in

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 16:40:47

In fact, I think we need a Government of the Gransnetters.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Mar-18 16:40:19

Good ideas petra

petra Thu 01-Mar-18 16:36:31

Pretty much all that has been said.
What I would pass a law on would be that all new build houses would in insulated to the highest spec. *All waste water would be channeled through a filter to the toilets.
All roofs would have solar panelled tiles ( I know lots don't like solar panels)
Needless to say that empty office blocks wouldn't be lit up like Blackpool illuminations at night.

marpau Thu 01-Mar-18 12:50:28

I agree nosebleeds can be serious however they can be dealt with at a minor injuries centre rather than emergency department.

BonnieBlooming Thu 01-Mar-18 12:20:22

As I live in a rural area I would impose the following -
All drivers who put their takeaway packaging into a plastic bag and throw it out on country roads would be given 10 years community service picking up litter!
All car,van,lorry and tractor drivers driving while on their phones would be banned from driving for ever!
All tractor/farm machine drivers would not be allowed to drive more than a mile on country roads and be legally obliged to pull over if there is someone behind them or have their farms confiscated!
I would have quite a few more for farmers (abandoning plastic silage wrappers, dumping silage, tearing up hedges etc) but I will stop there.

vickymeldrew Thu 01-Mar-18 09:18:07

Chemical castration on request (exactly whose request is open to discussion). Ban endless taxpayer-funded appeals by convicted criminals against deportation. Remove free travel for school children to encourage walking......

Blinko Wed 28-Feb-18 22:34:45

We all know how much it costs to keep convicted criminals in prison. If I were PM, I would bring back the stocks for oafs and other antisocial layabouts who persist in causing trouble. This is on the basis that prison's far too expensive and only trains low level criminals in further criminality.

Washerwoman Wed 28-Feb-18 20:14:33

Totally agree Jalima re fly tipping.And a zero tolerance to any kind of littering.
Agree also with serious penalties and naming and shaming perpetrators of animal /child cruelty.
Change the law so more punitive sentences given for hit and run and dangerous driving.

narrowboatnan Wed 28-Feb-18 18:10:47

sodapop - drivers throwing urine out of car windows? Greugh! Yes, definitely punish them. That’s disgraceful shock

Nanawind Wed 28-Feb-18 18:09:19

Stop politicians employing husbands/wifes then claiming for 2 homes. Put all politicians etc in one block of flats to share rooms to save money.

Send any criminal from abroad back to where they came from so we don't pay to keep them in prison.

Don't give new people to this country benefits and stop paying child benefit for children who don't live in the UK.

Lots more I want but that's it for now.

Morgana Wed 28-Feb-18 17:43:54

Amazed at how much agreement there has been! Why are we not running the country?!!!

Doversole Wed 28-Feb-18 17:26:03

Agree cancel HS2. Money wasted and huge damage caused.
Spend the money on HS3 instead.

GillT57 Wed 28-Feb-18 17:07:51

My final promise is to seriously reform the taxation systems. No more overseas based corporation tax dodges. If a transaction takes place here the taxation should be here. When I ran my micro business with a turnover of around £120k per year I paid more Corporation Tax than Osborne & Little, the famous wallpaper and fabrics firm (yes he is a family member) and the Ritz Hotel . Surely if a customer buys tea and a scone at the Ritz there has been a UK based transaction? As part of this fairer taxation system which would increase revenue for NHS and vastly improved state education etc, I would recruit armies of HMRC inspectors, trained and ready to catch out these bloody cheats. The taxation system reforms would include ( on roll now!) publication of all incomes and directorship of those people who are able to influence policy, whether they are elected representatives of not, this would include press owners such as the tax dodging Barclay brothers who own the Telegraph. And breathe...........

GillT57 Wed 28-Feb-18 16:53:49

Ooh lots of comments, thank you and very heartening to see just how many of us are against unregulated and unsupervised faiths schools. Internet been down here today due to heavy snow fall I assume, so another one of my 'election manifesto promises ' would be to cancel the three big H projects (Heathrow expansion, Hinckley, HS2) and spend the massive amount saved on fast reliable broadband for whole of UK and on expanding and improving the current rail network, especially the East to West journeys which always seem to be overlooked in favour of South to North routes. Get more freight on the railways and off the roads.

BRedhead59 Wed 28-Feb-18 16:39:18

Agree- get rid of faith schools and all the multitude of different arrangements - free schools, academies the lot. All kids should go to their local comp and all comps should be properly funded including extra money for those in deprived area's.
Re-nationalise transport and utilities
Stop selling London property to foreign investors
Cap pay of senior executives of any company/industry

Nonnie Wed 28-Feb-18 15:22:40

And another one because it has just happened again.

Website where you have checked the 'keep me signed in' box which suddenly don't recognise your password (which Chrome had saved) and when you go through the new password process they refuse to let you use the password you were sure was the right one because you cannot use a previous password! So why didn't they recognise it! humpfffffffffffff

Nonnie Wed 28-Feb-18 15:14:30

May I have another one please?

Give children half price bus fares and insist they give up their seats to older people, disabled, pregnant etc. Last two cities I have been in we were not offered seats despite most of the seated being less than half our age.

Sheilasue Wed 28-Feb-18 14:57:42

Ban music from mobile phones on buses. Ban kids using public buses when they leave school, get education authority to bring back school buses, I know some do have there own school bus. Ban rascist remarks from elderly people who think they can strike up a conversation at a bus stop etc. They can remark rudely I might add about different cultures.

grumppa Wed 28-Feb-18 14:38:15

Noooooooooooo!! Anniebach, anything but that!

sue421 Wed 28-Feb-18 14:34:15

Ban people speaking loudly into mobile phones
Ban people who cannot reverse or park their car
Anyone calling me 'lovey

Am sure there are many more

Conni7 Wed 28-Feb-18 14:18:45

Ban piped music in shops; bring back Grammar schools; pay nurses more if they lose some weight.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Feb-18 14:15:01

Am I allowed another one?
Make Welsh an option not a compulsory subject up to GCSE level in Wales and introduce more modern languages in schools where they are lagging behind in teaching them - languages such as Spanish and Mandarin.

SueDoku Wed 28-Feb-18 13:53:43

Cancel Trident and put the money into health and social care - especially more walk-in centres to take some of the pressure off A&E depts; recruit more staff, and bring all services like cleaning in-house, instead of them being outsourced to the cheapest bidder, which practically ensures that corners are cut and safety compromised.
Bring all schools back under the umbrella of LEAs - so that national standards (such as all teachers being trained) are maintained - and cut all the ridiculous extra paperwork, so that there's time for music, drama, art etc for all who are interested - not for qualifications, but as extra-curricular activities
Forbid anyone from owning more than two houses, and allow tenancies to be set for longer terms - to give people security. BUT tighten up on anti-social behaviour, so that 'neighbours from hell' can be evicted swiftly.