Gransnet forums

Chat

When did WWII start?

(71 Posts)
Yorkshiregel Wed 28-Feb-18 15:08:47

Well you will be surprised, as I was, because long before Poland was invaded Japan invaded China in 1937! This fight carried on all through what we think of as our war. The Chinese had lived through hell before Poland was invaded. Many people resorted to eating the bark from trees and the grass in the fields. They sold children for a little bit of food. It really was dire. What I would like to ask is why didn't we hear about this war in school? Does anyone remember what went on? There is a programme on PBS America at the moment if you can get that tv channel. America trained Chinese pilots and a three month battle was fought nr Bejing. It was unexpected and China nearly lost the battle to the Japanese.

Anniebach Wed 28-Feb-18 21:29:52

Then she lied in her talks in this country merlot

joannapiano Wed 28-Feb-18 21:35:25

I think merlot was talking about an actress in the film, not Gladys Aylward?

merlotgran Wed 28-Feb-18 21:39:54

No. I was talking about Gladys Aylward. Of course she didn't lie during her talks and would have welcomed the opportunity to point out that Colonel Linnan was not of mixed race but was of 'impeccable Mandarin culture and manners.'

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Feb-18 23:39:22

I’m not sure it was airbrushed out yorkshiregel - like suedonim I wasn’t taught any 20thC history at all, though I didn’t take it to O Level.
I took history to 'O' level and we only got as far as 1832. The rest I have learned over the years, well, what little I know.

merlotgran Wed 28-Feb-18 23:45:17

Same here, Jalima. WW2 would have been far to recent.

SueDonim Wed 28-Feb-18 23:47:52

Yes, I took History O Level, too! In those days, History ended with the Great Reform Act of 1832. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Feb-18 23:50:54

I think DD, who was one of the last to do GCEs, did history up until WW2.

vampirequeen Thu 01-Mar-18 07:51:20

It wasn't a world war because not enough countries were taking part. Once Europe and their empires started fighting then it became a world war. Hence the start was 1939.

Yorkshiregel Thu 01-Mar-18 10:37:22

I can see your point about it being too recent, BUT, I still think people would have known about it. Two years is not a long time between is it. My son's generation were not taken to Germany to see the graves, but my Grandson's generation go. He has been and was very moved and proud of relatives whose names he found on the great wall where all the WWI and WWII names are. We have a photo but I do not put children's photos on the internet or else I would provide it. China should have a wall like that. Millions died because the Japanese invaded without warning. I thought they did not enter the war until they attacked the Americans and Australians. They should not be forgotten imo.

M0nica Fri 02-Mar-18 08:58:38

This war has had publicity because of the plight of the Korean 'Comfort' women who were forced into brothels to serve the Japanese army during this war. They have been trying to get compensation from the Japanese for decades without success. Then there was the Nanking Massacre that was so terrible the Japanese deny it was anything to do with them, despite the evidence.

I was taught nothing about it at school because it was too recent to be history, What I know about it has come mainly from news sources since. But I do think we tend to remember from our school history and other lessons that which had some relevance to us at the time. I and a friend, who both did A level history and A level English together, still have disagreements about some of the topics we actually covered and books we read.

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 09:39:21

This attack by the Japanese on the Chinese was unexpected, it killed millions of innocent men, women and children. Imo it is NOT too recent as it was only 2 years before the 'official' line that WWII started in 1939 ie they invaded in 1937. I believe it has been deliberately 'forgotten' for some reason. So many things we were kept in the dark about and I think this should be talked about and taught in schools. When do you think would be an acceptable time to talk about it seeing as we have been remembering all the other people who died. Should these innocent victims be wiped from history?

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 09:42:33

Just to make it clear, I am British and can trace my British ancestry back to the 16th century. I am not Chinese.

lemongrove Fri 02-Mar-18 09:57:20

Britain being at war did only start in 1939 though, first in Europe and then the Far East.It hasn’t been airbrushed out
But so much happened afterwards in our own back yard so to speak.Also, as others say, it was all too recent for us to ‘study’ in fact nobody wanted to talk about any wars ( even though our fathers had been through it in most cases.)
As an adult I did hear about ( read about) what the Japanese did in China as well as what they did in WW11.
Nobody I knew would buy anything made in Japan.

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 10:30:06

Considering that:

WW1:

Start date: 28 July 1914
End date: 11 November 1918

I do not think the Japanese invasion of China is to early to talk about. We talk about WW1 don't we? Last year we watched Passchendaele on tv and that was 6 Nov 1917, years before 1937. That is in the history books why not this?

Sorry if I come across as aggressive but I just feel we should have been told. Not that we as children could have done anything about it, but I cannot help thinking about those little Chinese children that the Japanese bayoneted for no reason at all. They should be remembered imo.

annodomini Fri 02-Mar-18 10:38:22

I left school in 1958, having done Higher History but knowing far more about the Napoleonic Wars and the Peloponnesian Wars than about the war I had lived through. My History teacher had 'won the war' in the Royal Navy and my Maths teacher in the RAF. It was simply too recent to be in the History books and I still find it difficult to think of my lifetime as History. I was, until I read this thread largely ignorant about the Sino-Japanese war so thanks to Yorkshiregel for opening my eyes to it.

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 10:38:24

Not sure if we are allowed to do this but here is a link to the battle and period when my OH's G.Aunt was killed:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

I noticed that it says documentation about it was destroyed or kept secret. Why?

yggdrasil Fri 02-Mar-18 10:42:31

Americans will still tell you it didn't start till December 1941

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 11:10:38

I should have warned you that the Rape of Nanking was a horror story. What went on was just one battle, every city in China suffered more or less the same fate. Perhaps, because it was so brutal and illogical it might be that this is the reason we were not taught about it. Too horrific to confront little children in classroom with perhaps? How low can humans sink?

Fennel Fri 02-Mar-18 11:27:43

The following thread is long, but go to page 34 to find comments about the Nanking Massacre etc:
ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/did-the-japanese-deserve-the-atomic-bomb.61451/
The hostilities between Japan and China seem to have been going on for a long time. Also the interest of the USA for the protection of their Chinese citizens, and fear of Russia.
Another part of pre-WW2 hostilities was from Mussolini in Italy, wanting to extend his influence. To Malta and N. Africa.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 12:07:50

Another part of pre-WW2 hostilities was from Mussolini in Italy, wanting to extend his influence. To Malta and N. Africa.
There was a crisis in the Mediterranean in the late 1930s with threats from Mussolini so presumably that is why the RN ships were deployed there from the China Station. Malta was considered too near to Italian airbases to be a safe base and ships were sent to Alexandria.

There had been a crisis in 1935 too, the Abyssinian Crisis and Italy invaded Ethiopia in, I think, 1936.

Yorkshiregel Fri 02-Mar-18 12:23:22

No-one deserves nuclear bombs being dropped on them. Even the man who was the scientist responsible for developing it said and I quote 'that it brought to mind words from the Bhagavad Gita: 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds'.' J R Oppenheimer, a brilliant theoretical physicist and professor of physics, lobbied for international control of nuclear power to avert nuclear proliferation and a nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union. He knew what horror his bomb had inflicted and he regretted it but once the gene was out of the bottle he could not put it back in.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 12:32:19

Politicians and leaders wage war and innocents suffer Yorkshiregel, from time immemorial to the present day.
sad

trisher Fri 02-Mar-18 12:58:19

You could also argue that the Spanish civil war was a beginning, certainly Hitler used it for bombing practice-Guernica. But it isn't taught in any history syllabus either. It was too recent for my generation's education. History is still of course taught from a British perspective, but the problem is where do you draw the line? There is so much that could be included.

yggdrasil Fri 02-Mar-18 13:00:56

In one respect you could say WWII started the day WWI ended. The treaties and economic repercussions made it inevitable.

mimiro Fri 02-Mar-18 13:27:49

Please,not all americans think that ww2 started in 1941.pearl harbor was 1941 and the active start of americans major involvement.
my grandmother was an american"bomb girl"
her husband went to canada to join the RAF as did many americans long before 1941.
the germans were trying to recruit in the states long before pearl harbor with thier bund camps in the 30s/this was an eyeopener .we were also recovering from the great depression and the "dust storm "problems.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_Bund