Gransnet forums

Chat

Something a grandchild has done to make you cry emotionally

(84 Posts)
Brum12 Tue 06-Mar-18 15:58:43

I took my grandson to nursery today as I usually do, I help him remove his coat and hat as we do and off he goes with his friends I usually just leave , decided to talk to staff for a few minutes as I was talking I looked over to where he was playing and he looked up and saw I was still there his face lit up like he’d not seen me for years he gave me a great big wave and blew me a kiss. I had to excuse myself from talking to staff and on returning to car broke down with pure emotional crying I was so happy
Any one else had some thing that did the same

Grandma2213 Sun 11-Mar-18 03:14:56

I always go to my DGC's performances and assemblies at school because Mum or Dad can't always go. This week was Mother's Day assembly and Mum could go but DGD insisted that I did too. She had written a special message about Mum, but about me too. When the children sang a song I filled up (as I always do)!! At the end of the assembly she gave both me and her mum a daffodil and said to me, 'Did it make you cry again Gran?'. She knows me so well!!!

Grandma70s Sat 10-Mar-18 09:56:02

I have a piano-playing grandson, harrigran. He was nine last week. There is something very touching about these young children doing something that seems so grown up.

harrigran Sat 10-Mar-18 09:30:22

Yesterday when GD aged 8 sat down at the piano and played Ode to joy.

NemoNanna Fri 09-Mar-18 22:41:04

Loved reading also of these comments, we are so lucky to have these moments with our grandchildren. Patticake123 I feel for you. We are going to Australia soon to see 2DGS age 2.5 and 4 months. The older one knows us on Skype so can't wait to see his little face when they meet us at the airport but already dreading the goodbyes at the end of 5 weeks.

MagicWriter2016 Fri 09-Mar-18 22:32:36

My story didn't make me cry, but it certainly made me laugh. I went out one day with my eldest grand daughter (18) and her little brother (2). We decided to go to a local tourist place for a pancake. As I have some mobility problems and the car park spots for blue badges were all full she said she would drop me off and then take the car to the lower car park. There are a lot of steps to climb to get back up from it. So, she dropped me off and drove away. I thought to myself, I will walk over and meet them at the top of the steps. As they were coming up the steps, she said 'look, there's granny'. Well he practically flew up the last few steps and flung himself at me as though we hadn't seen each other for weeks lol. Times like that make your heart fill up with love. We did have a good laugh about it over our pancakes!

Patticake123 Fri 09-Mar-18 08:08:01

We waved goodbye to our two grandchildren at the train station this New Year as they began their journey home to the USA. I think of them waving and blowing kisses as the train pulled out and I could sob my socks off. Fortunately for us the USA is considerably nearer than Australia, but it’s still hard and if I hear anyone else saying ‘ lovely place for you to go on holidays ‘. I’m going to scream!

Menopaws Thu 08-Mar-18 21:55:35

Yesterday my little granddaughter took her first steps between me and my son, lost it! Her mum knew it was on the cards and no jealousy and my son had video but so privileged

TwiceAsNice Thu 08-Mar-18 17:56:12

I was carrying two year old granddaughter up the stairs to bed. We had been chatting and she had been leaning back looking at me. She suddenly bent forward and wrapped her arms around my neck and said" Granny I love you so much" It doesn't get any better!

Horatia Thu 08-Mar-18 14:34:48

I am always happy to remember even yet when my grandson was about 3 being quite put out and upset when he heard I was leaving after the weekend and saying I just don't want you to go Granny. No don't go.

morethan2 Thu 08-Mar-18 13:18:15

Oh these little stories are so poignant and tender Urmstongran and *caocao I shared a little tear with you both. Aren’t we lucky to be so loved.

narrowboatnan Thu 08-Mar-18 13:14:56

Oh Lordy, I’m a complete blubbering mess after reading all your comments. We are only four hours away from our Grandchildren and I visit by train four or more times a year. I hadn’t realised how much I miss them all until this post came up sad sad sad

keffie Thu 08-Mar-18 12:49:46

Nothing wrong with tears of sadness or happiness. We weren't meant to cry we wouldn't have tear ducts.

People dont like to see tears cos they are scared of what they are supposed to do. They think they got to fix it when what the other person wants them to do is let thrm be real.

When I am teary I always say "I dont want you do anything. Just let me be real" if the other person looks like they going to say "dont cry"

Tears are pure, healing for joy and sadness. Thet are not a sign of weakness

Urmstongran Thu 08-Mar-18 12:12:41

Thank you so much silverlining48 what a nice comment.

icbn2802 Thu 08-Mar-18 11:52:13

My grandsons just turned 4. One day his mum sent me a video....bless his little heart he was having a good old go at singing the song True Colours by Cyndi Lauper, one of his mums favourites. Such a moment.... I will treasure for eternity. ❤

Lindseylou Thu 08-Mar-18 11:51:01

Oh these have made emotional. Welive near downs and like fly kites and grandaughter and I fly kites together from quite small with two handles one for her one for me. But when she was about two ish she was becoming able to take hold of kite be herself. One morning she felt the pull of kite in wind on her little arm and turned to me and said. We are going now Nanny hold my hand and fly with us. This has brought a tear to my eye just remembering xx

NannySparkle Thu 08-Mar-18 11:48:02

My 3 year old granddaughter wearing her new fairy wings so that she could fly up to my house in Scotland. Had to explain it was a bit dark and cold at the moment and when the weather improves I’ll be down to see her again. Her parents have never thought to visit me which is sad. Anyway it made me happy and sad at the same time

henetha Thu 08-Mar-18 11:45:25

Thank you GabriellaG. It breaks me up every time I think about it. D.I.L. did eventually return to live in the area and saw the girls infrequently. She seemed to have very little interest in them. They are now young adults. The elder one has nothing to do with her mother; the younger one (who asked me when Mummy was coming back) does maintain contact with her but they are not close.
I can understand any woman who leaves her husband, but I cannot understand a woman who leaves her children.
They were 6 and 8 at the time. So cruel.

GabriellaG Thu 08-Mar-18 11:41:54

All wonderful memories from GNers everywhere. We are the luckiest people to have these loving attachments through the ages. Love is a beautiful and enriching feeling both the giving and receiving.

silverlining48 Thu 08-Mar-18 11:39:51

* urmston* so sorry about your mum. Its always hard, but your grandson was so sweet, hope this helps you a littke in the days and weeks to come. flowers

Funnygran Thu 08-Mar-18 11:24:55

our not out!

Funnygran Thu 08-Mar-18 11:24:24

Three year old grandson having a rare sleepover at out house a few months ago. We did all the bed time routine of bath and a story and as I bent down to give him a kiss I got two arms round my neck and told ‘Granny I do love you very much and you can come and sleep in my bedroom any time you want’. Very emotional moment!

GabriellaG Thu 08-Mar-18 11:21:23

henetha
That's achingly sad. I can imagine how hard it must have been for you your son and the children. I hope mum visited lots and the children managed to deal with it. flowers

OldMeg Thu 08-Mar-18 11:20:54

Not a grandchild but my son.

Many years ago I had an appointment to have a beloved dog, Ben, put to sleep. I’d just taken Ben into the consulting room when the door opened again and there was my 19 year old, student son. He’d driven all the way from university, a two hour drive, as soon as he heard, just to be with me in what he knew would be a painful moment, just making it in time.

I’ll never forget that.

GabriellaG Thu 08-Mar-18 11:17:34

I understand the OP's feeling.
My children/grandchildren are the only ones who could ever make me cry, in both happy and sad ways.
I spent the whole weekend crying when my youngest went hundreds of miles away to his first job. He was not quite 16 and never been away from home and family before. I'm emotional just thinking about it. They will forever be my one and only loves and the bonds are unbreakable.

Coconut Thu 08-Mar-18 11:01:11

All my life I have been a cry baby, for both happy and sad stuff. I have tried everything possible to stop, I now just accept it as the norm for me !