Gransnet forums

Chat

Whimsical but - what do you think?

(19 Posts)
Rosina Mon 12-Mar-18 17:48:16

Out of interest - and trapped at home by the snow - I had a look at 'Mumsnet', referred to as the 'dark side' by some Gransnetters! What really struck me, apart from the truly lively language of some contributors, was the incredible amount of comment on the different forums. Many had 400 - 500 posts, often more, running to about twenty pages, and even the shortest were seemingly far longer than the majority on Gransnet. Has anyone else reflected on why this might be?

nanaK54 Mon 12-Mar-18 17:50:07

I imagine, but don't actually know, that there are far more members

BBbevan Mon 12-Mar-18 19:47:54

They probably don't do much else!!

Cherrytree59 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:14:03

More MNers as both Grans and Mums (others obviously allowed) use MN.

Where as you have to earn your stripes to post on GNgrin

SpanielNanny Mon 12-Mar-18 20:26:17

Generational? The internet is such a big part of day to day life now, everything can be done on there. Possibly that goes for the majority of social interaction too?

Grannyknot Mon 12-Mar-18 20:51:55

I agree with Bevan - I know a few like that, I'm thinking of stay-at-home mums who will spend hours and hours on forums, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp etcetera, etcetera ...

As an aside, Technology Addiction is now recognised by the WHO.

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:30:41

I never liked the Who, all that yelling and smashing of guitars.

Tilly1234 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:34:08

I think Mumsnet has had a lot of national publicity over the years too, whereas a lot of grans probably don’t know Gransnet exists?

Luckygirl Tue 13-Mar-18 11:02:58

Lots of grans are on Mumsnet too. There are some interesting and highly educated folk on there. It is always worth a look. Also some very sad young women.

lemongrove Tue 13-Mar-18 15:58:48

oopsa grin good one!

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:20:50

Come and sit with me Lemon, we’ll push blotting paper into our inkwells and flick it at the boys......

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:46:43

I don’t join a thread if there are a lot of posters.
Life is too short.
Perhaps that’s the difference? They have more of it left??

lemongrove Tue 13-Mar-18 23:27:39

Even better.....flick it at the teacher grin

You wouldn’t think that Mums had more time than us though, would you, during the day at any rate.
Although being younger they can type faster.?

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:31:40

I never liked the Who, all that yelling and smashing of guitars.
Yes, but a good choice for this thread -

Talkin' 'bout my Generation

BBbevan Wed 14-Mar-18 06:23:17

And a bit whimsical too ?

pollyperkins Wed 14-Mar-18 09:51:05

Ha ha oopsadaisy!?

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 15-Mar-18 08:28:17

I’m going to sneak into Mumsnate and see what it’s all about, I doubt anyone will notice me as it’s early and they are probably sorting kiddies out for school. I’ll report back on what I find.

Wish me luck everybody.

I might be some time.

Rosina Thu 15-Mar-18 09:33:37

Shhhhhh! Quietly now!

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 15-Mar-18 09:49:01

Phew I’m back....
Apart from some of the colourful language, they seem very quick to tell a MIL to get a life and stop mashing up a 1 Year old child’s food, in fact very irate posts on that one.
But much less concerned with reporting a van driver who mounted the pavement and nearly hit a 5 year old, in their words “ you went hysterical, he apologised, get over it”
Also one from a lady who has a very controlling partner, all the posters are concerned abot her 15 yr old daughter being left on her own every other night, not about the fact that he calls and texts her constantly wanting to know where and who she is with!
Anyway, I went, I saw and I think I escaped unnoticed....
Don’t think I’ll be going back any time soon, they are a belligerent lot when it comes to family, not so much with friends. However I only popped in and out again before they spotted my grey hair and twinset and pearls.