Gransnet forums

Chat

Cosmetic procedures

(88 Posts)
Dontaskme Wed 14-Mar-18 18:18:20

Just read on a different thread someone who has had dermal fillers and (I think) feels better for it. Has anyone else had anything done? I've had fillers and my DD says its knocked 10 years off and I've had botox in a horizontal frown line between my eyes. I will have both topped up as I am more than happy. DH has noticed nothing including the fact he paid for it!

MelKnightley Mon 23-Sep-19 10:19:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Applemarket18 Thu 19-Apr-18 15:37:27

I'm curious to know where people find information about procedures other than a website or a clinic

Caramac Sun 18-Mar-18 17:38:17

Ive had dermal filler, Botox and my disappearing upper lip filled. The female doctor who does it is very well qualified, scrupulous re hygiene and as much an artist as a doctor. She recognises I would look ridiculous with very full lips for eg and the effects are subtle. I can express a full range of emotions. I’m having my teeth whitened next month after a pupil said he could tell I smoked “I can tell by ya teef “. I haven’t smoked for many years grin

Misha14 Sat 17-Mar-18 08:32:21

Teeth make a difference to how you eat as well as how you look, so it is different to having fillers. What would stop me is the thought of having something artificial put into my body.

mande Fri 16-Mar-18 18:01:25

Windyweather, it is called a fat transfer. My tummy and my face were very painful to touch for a couple of weeks but the operation is well worth it.

Dontaskme Fri 16-Mar-18 15:56:12

lizzypopbottle -the fat cheek look isn't from fillers, they are actually cheek implants that people have done to give a more "apple" youthful look, which really doesn't work. My DD has these "apples" naturally and hates them!
I've really enjoyed reading the comments on this thread and hearing that generally those who have had stuff done have been happy with it. Those who are critical all I will say is ask yourself why you dye your hair, wear your DGD's clothes, go to the hairdressers, wear make-up etc???? I think its because you want to make the best of yourself that you can, the same as those of us who go the cosmetic procedure route. Bit glass house and stones what what what. Thank you everyone, as I said I've enjoyed this thread a lot.

JanT8 Fri 16-Mar-18 13:26:18

If I could afford it I would have fillers done in a flash! Just on my ‘marionette ‘ lines.
Each to their own.

janeainsworth Fri 16-Mar-18 10:37:57

I watched Jane Fonda and Robert Redford last night in Our Souls at Night.
Jane Fonda was nearly 80 when the film was made.
She looked about 50 but what made her look young wasn’t her face so much as her figure and the fact that she moved very gracefully and had amazing, upright posture.

Windyweather Fri 16-Mar-18 10:20:33

Very interesting post Mande. I lost some weight last year and although my face is not too bad, my poor neck has really suffered, yet I still have a 'tummy' with plenty of fat on it! What is the proceedure called as I would be very interested in having it done?

NanaPlenty Fri 16-Mar-18 09:02:41

Sometimes quite simple things make a difference. I have hypothyroidism and have very few lashes - I plucked up courage to try some Russian lashes recently and an eyebrow tint and feel great. No more smudged mascara (especially on holiday). It's literally opened up my eyes.

gummybears Fri 16-Mar-18 08:57:04

Just be careful with the provider you choose to get fillers etc done. Far too many cowboys out there who took a short course and offer little to no follow up. Also the long term results of lip fillers in particular can be a bit hit and miss: its worth getting some professional advice from a make up artist on what you can do to make them look fuller with products first before moving straight to the fillers.

mande Fri 16-Mar-18 08:23:26

I went to see a cosmetic surgeon when I was fifty about the terrible bags I had developed under my eyes. He told me there was nothing wrong with the bags under my eyes, that the problem was loss of fat on my face. He said it is normal to lose fat on the face with aging. I am very slim, eight stone and my face had become haggard and gaunt. He recommended a fat transfer. He took fat from my tummy and put it in my face. The result was fantastic. Everyone commented how well, healthy I looked. I am glad I did it because fourteen years later it’s still there!

pauline42 Fri 16-Mar-18 01:16:56

Its so entertaining to read all these comments! In middle age (around 50) I had cosmetic surgery to remove the bags under my eyes......as a "young" senior turning 60 I had a face and neck lift - a big procedure with all stitches behind my ears, incisions under my chin etc. When I turned 65 I had cosmetic work on my teeth (porcelains crowns etc.to even them out and improve my smile). At 70 (as my face lift "faded"), I concentrated on having a series of skin peels and micro abrasion treatments to improve my skin texture and fade some brown spots, and also had a few Botox sessions too! And now at the age of 75 I can honestly say that I don't think I look better or worse than any other healthy, active, happy senior of my age who had paid attention to their skin through the years using conventional yet basic skin care products. At this age it's all about loving life, and being happy, fit and content in your own skin! But do I have any regrets about having all or any of this stuff done over the years - nope - not one bit - I just put it down to "additional life experience"! As a side-note - all costs related to these procedures were paid for out of my own pocket...... I had worked full time for 33 years whilst raising our kids and running a home.

lizzypopbottle Thu 15-Mar-18 23:23:48

I think you have to be a bit careful with fillers. So many aging celebs look as if they have a couple of ping pong balls in their cheeks.

icanhandthemback Thu 15-Mar-18 23:22:55

Dontaskme I always said I would never have anything done but nowadays I look in a mirror and wish for any procedure that is completely painless and free! However, as that is unlikely to become available, I may see if I can get the red veins on my face reduced if I ever have the money. I did have an implant done when my crown failed and it was worth every penny so I would definitely have more done where I have missing teeth if I had the money. Even if people choose not to get something done, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't like to look a bit more like their younger selves given half the chance.

valeriej43 Thu 15-Mar-18 22:15:41

I agree that a bit exra weight helps, i have awful difficulty putting weight on, which is why i have a scraggy neck, i hate wearing something low cut
I went up to 9stone last year, never been that in my life ,but looked better for it, as i am only just under 5 ft,dont want too much, but through having a stressful year gone down to 8 stone
Trying to put some back on, but however mucgh i eat, although not a big eater,its not working

Legs55 Thu 15-Mar-18 20:34:40

I believe that having any cosmetic procedure done is a personal choice & would never judge. I personally wouldn't but over about 6 months last year I lost over 2 stone, not deliberately but my Diabetes (I'm Type 2) had become uncontrolled. The lines on my face deepened & made me look "drawn". Since a change of medication & my Diabetes being better controlled I have gained about 10 lbs, I look much better as my face has filled out again, I've still got lines when I laugh but at 62 I can live with that. I'm not slim, definitely on the large side but that's me.

So if it's what you want Dontaskme go ahead & I wish you well.

M0nica Thu 15-Mar-18 19:51:11

I am amazed all these people whose spirits are raised if they are described as looking 10 years younger.

I mean what does it mean? someone of 60 can be grey haired, grey faced, and constantly tired looking. Someone of 70 can have beautiful skin, sparkling eyes and be youthful looking - and look much better than someone of 60. Beauty is in inside thing and has nothing to do with facial appearance.

I hate being photographed because I think I always look awful, but I have the sense to realise that that is all about how my mind works rather than how I actually look.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Mar-18 19:35:48

HurdyGurdy Isn't it sad that older women have to feel that they need to look younger before they are valued!
It has come across the Atlantic and is now in the UK.

Some other cultures would be astonished that older people feel the need to make themselves look younger before they feel that they can earn respect or a place in society.
sad

Chrishappy Thu 15-Mar-18 19:32:13

I'm 65 and have just had my eyebrows microbladed.!! Being fair skinned and overplucking years ago I hardly had any and had to draw them on each day. Now everyone tells me I look 10 yrs younger as they seem to have lifted my face as they have a slight arch. It's done wonders for my self esteem and I absolutely love them..

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Mar-18 18:55:48

I think we (the old buggers) are falling prey to the same kind of psychology that the young young young generation is - inasmuch as they are fed that a size 0 figure is the only way that you are acceptable. For us OBs, it's "you have to look much younger than your years" to be acceptable.

I am neither a size 0 (nowhere near), nor do I look younger than my years, and won't be blackmailed by media into thinking I should

Envious Thu 15-Mar-18 18:37:27

I’ve always had the makings of eye bags it’s just how hollow underneath my eyes are. It’s gotten to be the fatty ones as I’ve aged. I also have some upper eye drooping but it doesn’t effect my eyes. I don’t think I’d look like myself if I had upper eye lift but I’d love to have the eye bags fixed.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:26:35

The secret to my younger face now is I got FAT and it has ironed out the wrinkles lol.
jenwren DM used to say 'it's your face or your figure when you get older - nothing worse than a scrawny neck'.

I would have an eyelift though - some taken away rather than some pumped in!

TrishP2 Thu 15-Mar-18 18:24:25

I have aged badly due to sun and smoking. I have had botox once and it did smooth out the lines. I am considering an eye lift as I have (genetic) droopy eyelids. i am waiting until my daughter has it done first to see the result.

Kacee Thu 15-Mar-18 18:23:51

I would have my double chin done