Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost and found

(50 Posts)
NanKate Fri 06-Apr-18 22:14:50

Have you ever lost something and then it turns up sometime later or in an odd place ?

Menopaws Wed 11-Apr-18 22:20:57

Rang my sister, after a few minutes started looking for my phone. Even said to her I've lost my phone, she said you are talking to me with it!!

Chewbacca Wed 11-Apr-18 21:47:03

Drove to the bakers this morning; locked car; walked into shop and brought bread. Walked back to car with an armful of bread goods and my purse...... no keys. Walked back to bakers to ask if I'd left my car keys there? Everyone scrabbled around, searching for said keys on the floor, counter etc. Young lady behind the counter then asked me if the keys I was clutching on top of the bread were the keys to my car? Yes. They were. Red faced and embarrassed, thanked everyone and slunk out of the shop. I felt such a twit. blush

NanKate Wed 11-Apr-18 15:52:27

I think this proves my point, but I agree it is very weird.?

DanniRae Wed 11-Apr-18 15:03:39

Recently I was about to leave my sister-in-law's house and went to the window sill where I had left my glasses but they weren't there. My s-i-law and I searched everywhere downstairs in the house.........I hadn't been upstairs........we finally went back to look where I know I had left them........ on the window sill........ and they were there!
Weird, eh?

Marydoll Tue 10-Apr-18 21:01:16

NanKate, grin, The problem is that I'm always doing this.
My pupils in school once made a video of me for a bit of fun. The whole film was about me always losing things. They did a perfect impression of me. I laughed so much at it.
It's a good thing, I have a sense of humour, just a terrible memory.
I think the problem is that my brain is always going at nineteen to the dozen.
I will try and remember your advice, when it happens again tomorrow. wink

NanKate Tue 10-Apr-18 20:30:47

I read somewhere Marydoll that often when we have lost something it is in fact in plain sight and that we just have a sort of blindness that stops us seeing the item. He recommended looking again in the place you thought it was and maybe you will see it the second time round. I know this sounds totally mad but it has worked for me.

Daddima Tue 10-Apr-18 15:45:17

lemongrove, my brother is a loss adjuster, and remembers the tale of a lovely old couple who were burgled when on holiday and had their claim settled. After a few weeks the old gentleman came into the office with the jewellery items which they thought had been stolen,all of them of great sentimental value. It transpired he had put them in a ‘ safe place’ and forgotten where they were. As the company had paid out, the old gent thought the jewellery rightly belonged to the insurance company.
My brother said that he and his colleagues had never before wished that their superiors hadn’t been in the office!

Chewbacca Mon 09-Apr-18 23:32:40

You're not going mad Marydoll, you just have a busy life! I spend endless hours going round in everdecreasing circles looking for keys, mobile phone, purse, swipe card for work, keys, mobile phone, purse etc etc etc.... It's got to the stage now that when I put my keys in the zippy part of my bag, I actually say out loud "I've put you in the zippy bit". Now that's mad!

Marydoll Mon 09-Apr-18 23:15:28

PS, my DH thinks I've totally lost the plot, as well as the choccy bunny, Playdoh, car keys, etc.

Marydoll Mon 09-Apr-18 23:14:17

I have just found the Playdoh kitchen set, I bought my DGD three weeks ago and hid from her. ( Too many toys)
I searched the house from top to bottom and even the garage.( After all, that's where I found the missing chocolate bunny.?)
The Playdoh was sitting in the dining room in plain sight. I think I'm going mad.

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Apr-18 22:55:56

DH put something 'in a safe place' the other day and can't remember where it is. He didn't tell me he'd done it so I have no idea as I am not a mind reader even though he thinks I should know where it is.

lemongrove Mon 09-Apr-18 22:19:44

I often put things in safe places, especially if going on holiday.The trouble with safe places is that they are so safe, you can rarely find them again.

Floradora9 Mon 09-Apr-18 19:03:50

I had an uncle who was a heavy drinker and also liked to bet on the horses. He had a very good win one day and celebrated at the pub before going home . Once home he thought it would be a good idea to hide it : it was never found even when they moved house. We think he maybe put it up the chimney and when the fire was lit it burnt .

Willow500 Sun 08-Apr-18 18:39:22

Actually I've also 'lost' rings. The first one was my wedding ring before it even went on my finger. Husband to be had left it on the coffee table at his parents house wrapped in tissue - his mother thought it was rubbish and threw it in the bin! Luckily he asked where it was and was able to retrieve it before the wedding.

The second one was a ring of my aunts which I used to wear above my wedding band as it was a plain gold band with little diamonds in it. We went out one night with friends in York so I'd put it on my other hand to enable me to wear another one. When we got home I realised it had gone. Having been in several pubs that night I didn't hold out much hope of finding it but my friend rang round where we'd been and asked them to look out for it. Several weeks later an envelope arrived and out came my ring! A cleaner had found it behind the toilet in one of the places. I was extremely grateful she'd been so honest to hand it in.

Tegan2 Sun 08-Apr-18 17:49:43

I lost a finger straightener that the hospital had given me for one of my arthritic fingers. Only wore it at night and woke up one morning to find it had gone. Assumed I'd gone to the loo in the night and it had dropped down the toilet. Found it a couple of weeks ago; it had dropped down the middle bit of the bedroom radiator....

Greyduster Sun 08-Apr-18 14:35:50

I was thinking about this the other day and it suddenly occurred to me that the strangest thing we ever lost was a fish! When we were in the Far East, we ‘inherited’ an Asian albino catfish from a friend who was posted home, together with its rather large tank. We came home to our apartment one day to find the tank empty. Searched the room and found nothing! My son, who had just started walking, had by this time wandered off to find something more interesting than panicking parents to watch and we heard him babbling away to himself in the bedroom next door - at the catfish, under my dressing table! It had crawled, or whatever catfish do, all that way and was on the point of expiring having started to dry out. They could, it seems, survive out of water as long as they don’t dry out. It was also missing some of its skin. DH put it back in the tank and we awaited the inevitable. Later in the day, our Chinese grocer came with a delivery and told him the tale. He said they can jump quite high in pursuit of insects and that is probably how it got out of the tank. He was very surprised at the distance it crawled, though. He said they were not really suitable for aquaria and offered to take it to the pond in their village. So we jumped at the offer and said goodbye to it the next day! We often wondered whether ‘take it to the pond in their village’ was a euphemism for ‘take it home for supper’ but we didn’t pursue that train of thought! I remember, as a child, having goldfish that jumped out of their bowls in suicidal desperation, but we always knew where to look for those - down the back of the china cabinet!

Grannyknot Sun 08-Apr-18 13:59:23

Panache that's a lovely story. Welcome to Gransnet smile

felice Sun 08-Apr-18 12:15:08

A packet of Polenta which I bought and put in the cupboard on Monday.
Go to start peparing it this morning, and it has vanished, just had DD down here going through all the cupboards and storeroom.
Nothing and I checked the reciept so I know I bought it.

Panache Sun 08-Apr-18 10:11:07

As a newcomer I could not help but jump in at the deep end about this Wedding ring conversation!.........and now your "Lost and found" thread.
A warm hello to you all.
My quite wide gold wedding ring has been mainly a fixture on my left hand since our pre Christmas wedding which will actually be our 50 year Golden anniversary this Christmas.
Yes several times it has been taped over as I have been trundled to theatre on some very scary missions, but the one time it actually was removed when........horror of horrors..........I suddenly realised it was no longer on my finger.I had lost weight its true.
What sheer panic ensued.
Much as those wedding vows meant to me, that ring was stuck to not only my finger but my heart, and to have it missing I felt as if part of me was truly gone astray.
I love and have a great penchant for rings, wearing several on any trips away from home. However at home it was just the old faithful golden wedding band together with a gold/ birthstone ring,a present from my foster mum many moons earlier that were worn on a daily basis.
My husband and I diligently searched and searched high and low for the missing ring........ once the initial blind panic had subsided.......but the fact I had attended a clinic in the nearby Hospital days earlier,undressing and yes even washing/drying my hands in their oh! so tight cubicles had us fearing that I may have well lost it during this time.It was reported and everyone with access to this area over the 48 hours were contacted and questioned but to no avail.
Sympathy abounded...........but still no ring.
Meanwhile I wore another ring on that special finger, although not for one moment did it feel right or give me that safe inner glow!
We decided to opt for a new one that I had long admired from the firm “Clogau gold”........it had some of our welsh gold within it...........though pricey it was a case of satisfying a need, but also having something I had long admired.
Of course all this would take a little time and meanwhile not a day passed but you would find us both still searching into every little nook and cranny .............hoping to find that well worn, but much loved Wedding ring.
Just as the new ring was about to be despatched my husband was outside clearing out the troughs and urns of spent summer bedding plants............and lo and behold he espied a glint of something shining..... lurking deep in the soil and roots.On looking further, to his amazement and great delight yes!..........the elusive wedding ring had been hidden under a lovely show of colourful “Busy Lizzies” for most of the summer..........safe and protected.
But now firmly restored back where it rightfully belongs..............on my left hand.
I can imagine you are pondering about the beautiful one ordered from “Clogau gold”...............and to put your minds at rest,no I did not indulge, being that I was so delighted and well relieved to have my former wedding ring back safely where it remains to this day.
Hopefully it is where it will always stay.

Marydoll Sun 08-Apr-18 10:07:35

I bought DGD a chocolate bunny for Easter, along ith some new clothes. Come Easter morning, I got out the bag with her presents, the clothes were there, but no bunny.
I have searched high and low, all my usual hiding places, but no sign of it.sad
This morning I found it in the garage in a large box with my daughters tent and camping gear!
How on Earth did it get there?
Now can anyone tell me where the Play Doh kitchen is?

Menopaws Sun 08-Apr-18 02:42:00

We lost daughters precious hamster too. Got out of cage and nowhere to be seen. Three days later the neighbour came round with it having found it hiding in her vegetable rack amongst the potatoes. Her cat was staring at the potatoes so she investigated. No idea how it got next door even though semi detached.

Chewbacca Sat 07-Apr-18 22:37:35

Has anyone else noticed that if you lose one earring, and you keep it for ages just in case the other one turns up, then, after months and months you decide the lost one has gone forever and you chuck out the one you'd kept. Only for the lost earring to magically appear, leaving you with just one earring. Again. I blame The Borrowers.

Grannyknot Sat 07-Apr-18 22:27:55

I've got a very bad habit of absent-mindedly removing jewellery and putting it down wherever I happen to be in the house, sometimes one earring at a time. So I "lose" and "find" my jewellery on a regular basis smile

Nanawind Sat 07-Apr-18 19:49:58

I had a set of topaz and diamond earrings, I wore to a sports venue where I some how lost one, fast forward 3 years I was walking around the area looking down and there was the earring I lost. This area had been dug over every week for 3 years.

Willow500 Sat 07-Apr-18 19:37:03

Last year I lost my very expensive watch awarded to me by the company I work for for 10 years service. I'd had it in my bag and knew I'd been to the jewellers to see if they could replace the battery as it wasn't working. Rang the jewellers but it wasn't there and could only think someone had taken it from my handbag standing in the queue at the post office the same afternoon. Totally devastated and even posted on the local lost and found site. Several weeks later I decided I needed to put the bag of artificial flowers away which had been sitting on the dining chair for ages. Tipped the bag up and out fell my watch! No idea how it got in there.

I also lost a set of keys years ago including my car keys, the house keys and garage key. After hunting everywhere for them and retracing my steps I gave up and had to have new ones cut. Two years later we were decorating and had to take the top off the wall unit to move it - there were the keys right at the back of the small cubby hole underneath. Weird how these things disappear!