Gransnet forums

Chat

Poor daffodils

(15 Posts)
Granny3Rose Wed 11-Apr-18 11:25:48

I frequently walk down the pleasant main road from where we live into town. The grass verges are full of daffodils, a lovely sight until the vandals come along. I find it upsetting that year after year someone pulls off lots of the daffodil flowers, and sometimes also the leaves, and they are left strewn around. It happens every year, and I wonder if it always the same people doing it or whether some new people think of it each time.

Does this happen where anyone else lives?

Mapleleaf Wed 11-Apr-18 11:57:12

Yes, I’ve seen this on occasion. You do have to wonder at the mentality of those who do it?

Beau Wed 11-Apr-18 12:54:31

No, that's awful. I would not like to live somewhere where that happened, it would upset me a lot.

Greyduster Wed 11-Apr-18 13:03:22

I have not seen this recently; it is a sad sight. What currently makes me mad is that we have a pond in a small park near us which has bulrushes in its margins every year, and they are getting fewer, as every year some mindless nincompoop comes along and knocks off all the heads within reach of an arm and a stick! Only the ones furthest away escape. I just don’t get it......☹️

Chinesecrested Wed 11-Apr-18 19:29:08

When I was a small child, me and my mum used to walk down a lane into the village and the people living in the houses there used to plant out the ditches with spring and summer flowers. One in particular we called the Pretty Ditch. No one bothered vandalising the flowers though. I guess things were different sixty years ago!

grannyactivist Wed 11-Apr-18 19:41:47

There are lots of daffodils where I live and I've rarely seen any that have been deliberately vandalised, although I did once set some schoolboys right when I saw them picking flowers to take home to mum. hmm

BlueBelle Wed 11-Apr-18 19:48:41

We also have daffs on roundabouts and some verges never seen any vandalised though That’s horrible

Greenfinch Wed 11-Apr-18 20:36:21

We have a lovely display near us but as it is by the side of a main road with no lighting or pavements,you would be taking your life in your hands to stop and vandalise them.They look truly beautiful.

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 20:46:47

No, haven’t seen any vandalised daffs here.
My own have been vandalised by the constant rain though, which is really annoying considering they have only just come out! angry

Granny3Rose Wed 11-Apr-18 22:28:35

Well, at least it's reassuring that it isn't happening everywhere.

Mapleleaf - yes, you do have to wonder at the mentality of the perpetrators. It seems odd that it happens year after year.

Greyduster - I just don't get it either. Maybe they get some pleasure out of spoiling things for others.

Panache Mon 16-Apr-18 11:13:01

There was a year when a number of residents from a well known and much visited resort got together to plant up one long lane with daffodil bulbs....... as already the village had gained quite a name for itself in "Wales in Bloom" awards.......... but this one lane was devoid of florals and so this effort was much appreciated by many.
Duly they bloomed and were truly a joy to behold, and then during one dark night they were totally, systematically, destroyed by being pulled up by the root................thus ensuring no bulbs would survive for another lovely show.
Did the villagers sit back and moan?Well perhaps in private, but in reality even more floral lovers joined them and repeated the planting, so the following year there was even a greater show.
Other areas including a floral harbourside has been equally destroyed by snipping off the colourful heads,which destroys the scene for that season.
What pleasure can this possibly give anyone?
I do sometimes despair at such wanton behaviour.

Nanabilly Mon 16-Apr-18 11:48:37

It's sickening isn't it? Where we live there are lots of daffodils on roadsides and on traffic roundabouts and they look pretty while they last but you can guarantee that they will be picked and not always by children either.
Not seen them vandalised yet though.

SueDonim Mon 16-Apr-18 13:28:04

There are daffodils planted all around my area and I can't say that I've ever seen any vandalisation of them.

pollyperkins Mon 16-Apr-18 13:35:20

No it doesn't happen in our village thank goodness. But I did see it done once at the school where I was teaching (in a large town )

gummybears Mon 16-Apr-18 18:21:12

The rose bushes in our local park were grubbed up a few years ago due to the enthusiasm of a couple of older ladies for bring down a basket, a pair of secateurs, and brazenly nicking the lot in early flower. Hundreds upon hundreds of roses.

The roses have now been replaced with a dog poo bin which strangely the ladies seem less eager to harvest.