Gransnet forums

Chat

What songs do you sing to your DGC?

(85 Posts)
Newquay Mon 16-Apr-18 23:48:15

Anniebch was talking about singing Myfanwy. I like to sing Rutters "may the Lord bless you and keep you" and "Summertime". "Golden Slumbers kiss your eyes" is another favourite too

Newquay Wed 18-Apr-18 08:54:55

Good old Uncle Mac. What lovely songs we're all singing?

SpanielNanny Wed 18-Apr-18 09:14:47

Up the tall white candle stick (complete with hand actions) always gets a big laugh from my dgs.

One of the most moving moments of being a grandparent so far though was hearing, through the baby monitor, dil singing Lavender’s Blue to dgs while she was putting him to bed.

BBbevan Wed 18-Apr-18 09:21:44

My Dad used to sing this to my DCs

Oh, A--, she is a funny one
With a nose like a pickled onion.
A face like a squashed tomato.
And feet like flat fish.
All his GCs loved it as it could be personalised.
My GDs loved it too.But I have never heard it outside our family.

downtoearth Wed 18-Apr-18 09:49:05

How much is that doggy in the window...and morning town to my now 19 year old DGD.....New DGD due in June to my son ....wonder what I will sing then ...just happens naturally smile

pensionpat Wed 18-Apr-18 09:52:55

Bbevan. My FIL always sang this.

NanaandGrampy Wed 18-Apr-18 09:59:03

I started off with DGD no 1 , 11 years ago ..... as soon as she was old enough to speak if I started to sing she'd say No Nana. Child has no ear for music plainly.

With DGS no2 - I went down the same path - he cried every time I started . Another one with no ear for music.

No 3 shouted ' Stop it Nana ! NO SINGING !!!' hmmmmmm

No 4 put the final nail in my musical coffin when i was singing to him as we were driving along and he said ' Stop it Nana- its horrible'!!!

Out of the mouths of babes eh?

Minerva Wed 18-Apr-18 10:02:29

I sing to my grandson, just 4, all the time. Favourite right now is ‘There was an old woman who swallowed a fly”. All that wriggling, giggling and tickling?

Lynnebo Wed 18-Apr-18 10:51:40

Oh I had quite forgotten You canny shove your granny off a bus!! Marvellous.
I sing Hush little baby (mocking bird) and Never smile at a crocodile
When I’m saying goodbye to the two four year olds I ask them ‘what do you have to remember?’ And they sing Never smile at a crocodile back to me!
When I was coming round from a serious operation my children (in their 30s) were waiting on the ward so I asked the nurse to tell them I said NSAAC so they would know I was ok!! ?

goldengirl Wed 18-Apr-18 11:13:44

Before my GC went to school and I picked them up to come to me we had a nursery rhyme CD blaring out along the way. I knew just where we should be at the beginning of each song!!! It was great fun. They are now teaching me songs and rhymes!

rubysong Wed 18-Apr-18 13:16:27

Yesterday I was singing Gilbert & Sullivan's 'over the bright blue sea" to one year old DGD. She seemed to like it and did a little dance.
(I'm enjoying this thread and must make a note of some of the songs I had forgotten.)

Daddima Wed 18-Apr-18 14:23:44

My children & grandchildren were exposed to a wide variety of songs. The Sausage Roll song from Gilbert& Sullivan’s ‘ The Grand Duke’, to ‘ The Wild Colonial Boy’ or ,

“ In an underground garrett, up three flights of stairs,
Next door to the man who made apples and pears,
There lived a wee wumman wi’ teeth like a rose,
And she could not stop smiling for corns on her nose.”

This was sung to the tune of ‘ The Ould Orange Flute’, and I suspect my father may have made it up!

I worked in Early Years for a long time, and was saddened by the number of children who could only sing one nursery rhyme ( usually Baa Baa Black Sheep or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)
I was delighted when one wee new nursery pupil asked if we could sing, ‘ Sit down, you’re rockin’ the boat’, and proceeded to give us a full theatrical rendition!

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Apr-18 15:06:27

All the traditional ones, which do come flooding back when you're rocking a baby, as Grammarretto says. I found with DGS 1, 2 and 3 that London Bridge was always a sure fire way to get them to sleep. I was once halfway through a beautiful grin rendition of Summertime when DGS2, who'd been watching my face intently, suddenly burst into tears and was just inconsolable. I think it was the thought of flying to the sky.....

I have to catch myself on sometimes - DGS3 picked up all the words to 15 Men on a Dead Man's Chest after just one hearing, and I had to stop midway through one from my childhood. Dee Dee Dee Dee is no good, (chop him up for firewood, when he's dead boil his head and make it into gingerbread). shock

DGS4 can't be doing with my singing at all and just goes straight to sleep to avoid it.

Doreen5 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:33:16

Wind the Bobbin Up
Down at the Station
I had a Little Turtle
Row Row Row Your Boat
Rain Rain go Away

ReadyMeals Thu 19-Apr-18 09:37:42

I sing "Shake, Rattle and Roll" because I can jiggle him him on my lap vigorously while singing that and it distracts him from whatever he was fussing about lol

NanaPlenty Thu 19-Apr-18 09:38:35

We sing all sorts, old and new and the grandchildren pick up the words amazingly quickly. When my girls were small my mum would sing with them in the car, Another Opening Another Show from Kiss Me Kate. When my mum passed away and I couldn't decide what music to play at her funeral this was the song they suggested....seemed fitting somehow.

Rosepaul Thu 19-Apr-18 09:42:25

I always sang Leo Sayer Love you more than I can say to my grandson at sleep time, for Christmas my daughter had a plate made with his footprints on and the words. My most treasured possession

inishowen Thu 19-Apr-18 09:47:08

When I was at school the teacher told me to mime as my voice was awful. From that day on I have NEVER sung. The other day in the car my 6 year old granddaughter was asking me to sing and I just couldn't do it. I really hate what that teacher did to me.

vickya Thu 19-Apr-18 09:52:42

I sing Wind the Bobbin and Wheels on the bus, and some Woody Guthrie sings, Ship in the Sky, Good Night Little Arlo, but I change Arlo to the child's name, and I'm gonna wrap myself in paper, I'm gonna daub myself with glue, stick some stamps on top of my head and I'm gonna mail myself to you.

Christopher Robin is saying his prayers, They're Changing guard at Buckingham Palace, Daddy's taking us to the zoo today, 4 little ducks went out one day,

and a cockney music hall one;
A mother was bathing 'er baby, bathing 'er baby one night. The mother was fat and the baby was thin, just like a skelington, covered with skin
She only turned round for a minute, to reach down some soap off the wrack
She only turned round for a minute, but oh when she turned back!
Her baby had utterly vanished! Vanished completely away.
Oh where, oh where is my baby? She heard an angel say.
Your baby has gorn down the plughole. Your baby has gorn down the plug.
The poor little fing was so skinny and thin, it should have bin bafed in a jug.
Your baby is perfectly happy. 'ee won't need no bathing no more.
Your baby has gorn down the plug hole. Not lorst, just gorn before.

We sing that in the bath when she doesn't want to come out and I take the plug out, but she'd never fit down the plug hole smile

vickya Thu 19-Apr-18 09:54:54

She never wants to come out. She never wants to get in either smile. She's two, but will be three next week nad is arguing for less time now!

Coconut Thu 19-Apr-18 09:59:38

My kids had renditions of Stevie Wonders “you are the sunshine of my life” ..... Grandchildren have a mix.... “ how do you like your eggs in the morning” and my GS in turn sang it to the Nursery school ladies ! When teenage GD’s have any angst they get “ don’t you worry about a thing coz every little things gonna be alright” ... No I can’t sing to save my life, however it keeps them amused that Nanny has a song for every occasion.

Gillcro Thu 19-Apr-18 10:05:07

My 2 year old grandson songs nursery rhymes or songs from his favourite tv programme. My 3 older grandchildren(14,11,11,) lots of things but they don't hear it as they have their ears.

vickya Thu 19-Apr-18 10:13:48

Granddaughter sings the song from Frozen. Again and again and again smile And will watch it any number of times. She sings Twinkle Twinkle too. New songs from nursery now and then.

harrigran Thu 19-Apr-18 10:14:24

When GD visits she has taken to singing the Duck song over and over especially when she is sitting drawing, so weird.

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Apr-18 10:25:06

inishowen, just go for it! I was told to mime too and it’s never stopped me belting them out! blush

I was annoyed when a teacher pulled just my son and one other boy out of the Year 6 choir practices. Talk about knocking a child’s confidence!

grannyinmypocket Thu 19-Apr-18 10:31:00

Cat Stevens moonshadow,
Horsey horsey don't you stop,
You are my sunshine,