Gransnet forums

Chat

The Weather

(91 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 17-Apr-18 19:16:25

It’s spring and we expect fickle weather but this is sheer bloody-mindedness! They’ve been promising a heatwave for at least a week and it’s STILL cold, grey and windy.
I’m wearing two jumpers and have the heat on. It has only been turned off on three days since last October. Gas and electricity have gone up but surely we’ve all used record amounts.
I used to never feel the cold but now I’m never warm. I feel so sorry for the baby birds and lambs and the farmers who can’t turn their livestock out.
I blame Theresa May. It’s all her fault.

Synonymous Mon 23-Apr-18 13:32:32

If we don't close the blinds or curtains on the south side of the house we are just about passing out. We have a heating/cooling system so that when it becomes unbearably hot during the day we can just turn on the cooling part and that is powered by the sun via the pv panels. So looking forward to that being necessary!

Lona Sat 21-Apr-18 22:47:35

Each to her own Parsley ? but I don't want to live with my curtains closed especially when the sun is shining.

jusnoneed Sat 21-Apr-18 22:23:42

lol JanT8 I am usually up by 6.30, not one to waste the day in bed.

After being told last summer about keeping doors etc closed to keep hot air out, I did try it (made easier as we no longer have a cat wanting to go back and forth) and must say the house didn't get too hot. As long as OH stopped opening curtains! Plus didn't have to put up with the stink of BBQs etc lol.

We had a good thunderstorm this evening, lightning and heavy rain. Lasted about 20 minutes.

Hm999 Sat 21-Apr-18 21:28:40

Third day of fabulous weather in sunny coastal Sussex. Travelled to coastal Hampshire today - cloudy, then spitting rain.

Iam64 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:14:24

It's been glorious but life conspired to keep me out of my garden and into various retail outlets.

Bees-we've found 4 huge bumble bees in the past couple of days. Two in the conservatory, two in the porch. A visiting midwife (yes indeed!!) who wants to retire and have bees, suggested we put a spoon with sugar water in there for the bees to recover. We did this and were delighted to watch the bees go straight to this treat. The open doors and windows allowed the bees to buzz off.

Maw -I'm with you, get those windows and doors open, it's just great to have fresh air through the house. I'd never shut the sun out - loving it

JanT8 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:10:25

Justnoneed, Crikey Mikey, what time do you get up in the morning if you’v achieved all that?
But, yes I agree how wonderful it is to get cracking and put some jobs under our belts as soon as!
So much easier and even enjoyable when the sun shines.

Parsleywin Thu 19-Apr-18 17:57:29

Well, I beg to respectfully differ, Maw and Lona! I have big, south facing windows and 27 degrees out there, so shielding the house from the fierce rays - hottest April day for 70 years apparently - has kept the inside pleasantly cool. Works for me! wink

annodomini Thu 19-Apr-18 17:31:37

Extraordinarily hot! The trees round here aren't stirring at all, but the big birch over the brook is spilling pollen by the ton! If the west wind picks up I will be right in the firing line and it's already getting to me.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 17:18:49

I've rescued four bees from the conservatory and sitting room already today and put them outside.

Let's hope there is a bee revival this year.

Lona Thu 19-Apr-18 17:11:31

Crossed posts Maw smile

Lona Thu 19-Apr-18 17:10:43

Yes, I know Parsley I always kept them closed at my last house, but I'm in a first floor flat now, with huge windows all round, and it gets very hot. Opening all the windows and doors allows a very pleasant breeze to flow through the flat. ?

MawBroon Thu 19-Apr-18 17:07:56

No Parsleywin it lets you get a bit of a through draught, the air in the UK is really not hot enough (certainly not yet) to make things hotter!

Parsleywin Thu 19-Apr-18 16:55:52

Lona, I've never understood why people keep windows and doors open when it's really hot! Doesn't that just let the heat come in very efficiently?

Mine were open for an hour or so very first thing this morning and then I shut them, put down the blinds and closed the curtains too! The house is a very comfortable temperature, and I've been nipping out to the garden for several short bursts to top up my vit D!

Lona Thu 19-Apr-18 16:36:49

It's scorching here in Cheshire! Too hot for me just walking up the road to Sainsbury's for some salad. I've got all the windows and doors open and if I were a dog I'd be gasping with a big floppy tongue! ???

nanaK54 Thu 19-Apr-18 16:30:27

It is beautiful here today (Kent), DH is in hospital, I have just been to water all of his plants in his polytunnel, just in the nick of time I think, a bit of wilting going on there sunshine

Situpstraight Thu 19-Apr-18 16:21:37

We are due to get Thunder and Lightening on Saturday, so, as this is probably our Summer, im making the most of it!

Blinko Thu 19-Apr-18 16:17:34

Hello, I guess this must be Summer.... Wonder how long it will last.

Situpstraight Thu 19-Apr-18 16:15:21

I have switched the heating to OFF!
?

However I can and will turn it back on if necessary.

SaraC Thu 19-Apr-18 14:44:09

Stinking hot (and humid) at 34 degrees here, though a couple of thunderstorms this evening have cooled things down a wee bit. Hoping for the Dry and some cooler, less humid, weather soon ...

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Apr-18 14:21:23

Much better today. I've got the patio door open. The sky is blue, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and all is beautiful. I've put my favourite summer top on with a pair of denim jeggings, and I'm not cold.

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 11:26:43

smile

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 11:26:27

Yes, Jalima1108, what a gorgeous day here in Devon yesterday. And again this morning. I hope it lasts until November {smile}

Sheilasue Thu 19-Apr-18 10:30:03

April 18 was lovely and today the 19th is so warm. We live in the SE. Have taken my thirst out of the suitcase and put them in my drawer in case it lingers on fingers crossed.

Pittcity Thu 19-Apr-18 09:37:43

Sat outside in cotton pj's to eat breakfast this morning. Slathered on the factor 30. Here in Essex Summer has arrived.

BBbevan Thu 19-Apr-18 09:27:45

SW Wales beautiful warm day yesterday. Derek even mentioned us on the news Anniebach. Looks good today so have got my shorts on !!!