Gransnet forums

Chat

Old Cat

(4 Posts)
newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 14:10:39

My cat is over 17 years old. He went to vet in Oct to have flu jab. He had check up with blood test and vet said he was fine. I told vet he is sleeping a lot more now and vet said as cats get older they do sleep a lot moor until eventually they die. He has been sleeping more but he seems happy and contented. He is still purring when stroked. He is still able to go in and out cat flap for toilet. He is not eating much anymore but is still able to eat and sniffs food and eats a bit. Over last week he seems to have slept most of time and eating even less. He has got very thin and he has always been such a greedy cat. He is my sons cat but we are all very fond of him. My son is adult now but do you think I should warn him cat might not last much longer. I know he would be very upset. Have any of you had experience of older cat and how long after sleeping most of time and not eating much he might last?

newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 14:12:09

more not moor.

Deedaa Wed 18-Apr-18 20:46:01

I think you should mention to your son that the cat is beginning to show his age and, although there's nothing specific wrong with him, it looks as if his body is beginning to wind down. It's always sad but I think your son would be more upset if he heard the cat had died without any warning.

Suki70 Wed 18-Apr-18 23:14:38

I agree with Deedaa , best to start preparing your son now as his cat has reached a good age. Our previous two cats lived until they were 17 and 21 and like your son's cat, the older one just became increasingly thin and slept a lot. She was in no pain though so the vet checked her regularly and advised us when it was kinder to put to sleep.