Gransnet forums

Chat

Cushions

(36 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Fri 20-Apr-18 15:42:39

Why do people, well those I’ve seen on television, possibly others, sit with cushions on their laps? What’s that all about? That’s it reallyconfused

marionk Sat 21-Apr-18 17:57:31

I do it! It makes a good perch for the iPad too

Sallyann1 Sat 21-Apr-18 17:46:45

Something I find odd re cushions is when designers, in magazines say, ( do people in real life do this too?!) put layers of cushions on beds ?. We once stayed in a smart hotel where they had done this and it took ages to clear them all off! One extra pillow or cushion is great if you’re reading in bed, but 6 or 8? ?

lemongrove Sat 21-Apr-18 17:41:12

I bought a lovely couple of cushions from Dunelm, called ‘teddy bear’ they do matching throws as well.Furry and teddy like, or cat like, I may have a go at snuggling one of them now.

gulligranny Sat 21-Apr-18 17:23:58

I agree with both Katek and Goldengirl; hides the fat bits and protects said fat bits from cat claws!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 21-Apr-18 17:02:50

I am so glad you asked and answered this question, as it has been puzzling me for ages. I assumed it was being done mainly by teenagers who felt too old for their teddy!

homefarm Sat 21-Apr-18 12:05:00

It's psychological. It's a method of 'distancing' one's self.

harrigran Sat 21-Apr-18 11:35:42

I do not know anyone who does this in real life but suspect that soap stars do it to hide pregnancy bump or baby fat when they return to the show.

Aepgirl Sat 21-Apr-18 11:28:33

Yes, it irritates me too. It's usually done when somebody is sad - almost like a child with a favourite teddy. I don't know anyone who does it in real life.

PoppyB Sat 21-Apr-18 11:13:38

I once watched an interview on the tv with a cross dresser, and she said she needed the cushion to cuddle in order to hide her modesty as she hadn’t conquered the art of sitting ladylike just yet. It did suit her and it matched her attire quite nicely.

goldengirl Sat 21-Apr-18 11:12:58

I put a cushion on my lap to protect my legs when the cat wants to come on my knee! I learnt the hard way smile

sarahellenwhitney Sat 21-Apr-18 11:09:02

I cuddle a cushion as my dog fidgets.

Tessa101 Sat 21-Apr-18 11:04:38

It’s a comfort thing if someone lacks in confidence.

glammanana Sat 21-Apr-18 10:52:21

KatekSpot on there,quite a few of "Goggleboxers" need them now maybe it is due to being couch potatoes all week,specially the younger ones.

grannytotwins Sat 21-Apr-18 10:41:51

I’ve always wondered about the cushion on the lap thing. They do it a lot on Corrie.

Applegran Sat 21-Apr-18 10:32:21

I have a friend who likes cuddly toys - hard to admit maybe when you are a grandmother! But could they be comforting at all ages, in reality? Perhaps people cuddle cushions, though they might enjoy a lovely teddy bear, but feel shy! I love cuddly toys and have to restrain myself from buying my grandchildren far too many.

Katekeeprunning Sat 21-Apr-18 10:28:54

I do it to hide my tummy

David1968 Sat 21-Apr-18 10:26:28

I'm sitting with a cushion on my lap as I type here. Recovering from carpal tunnel surgery and it makes my hand/arm feel comfier to rest it with the Tablet on the cushion. (It's probably a substitute cat as well - I hadn't thought of that.)

Ellie Anne Sat 21-Apr-18 10:08:35

My husband does it because he doesn’t want it behind him. Then the cat sits on the cushion. If he reads the paper too no one can see past him to watch tv!

Overthehills Sat 21-Apr-18 10:01:30

gmelon - my DH is exactly the same but I’ve got a thing about cushions and am always making/buying new ones. Never cuddle them though ...

JackyB Sat 21-Apr-18 09:57:44

I think it was recently - possibly here on Gransnet - that someone directed us to a Youtube video showing how actresses who were pregnant, but were not playing someone pregnant, were filmed to camouflage their "bump". One of these tricks may be cuddling a cushion (also holding a large handbag and being filmed from the side, just showing their top half, or even just showing them from behind.)

My sister always giggles when our mother comes to visit and she sits perched on an armchair, primly holding her handbag on her lap in front of her (sometimes even dozing off).

dogsmother Sat 21-Apr-18 09:42:10

Comfort cuddling.

inishowen Sat 21-Apr-18 09:42:08

I do it! My arms just fit nicely around me if there's a cushion involved.

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Apr-18 22:30:08

Is, not us! (It's getting late)!

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Apr-18 22:29:19

The cushion, that us, not the bed jacket! ?

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Apr-18 22:28:38

Me, too,Kittye ?